Friday, January 19, 2007

Stewed Pork Belly

My Stewed Pork Belly is definately one of my hubby's favourite dish. Come to think of it, there don't seems to be anything that I cook which doesn't taste nice to him. So bias isn't it? But I really think I fed him well, really very well. Hehehe...it shows on his belly. Ok ok...same goes for my belly. Anyway...the easiest and fastest way to whip up a tasty belly pork is by stewing it.

Let me show my way....

Step 1: Clean the pork belly and make sure to pluck away all those foreign objects aka pig's hair. Eeww. Preferable if you get those with few layers of fats and meat, it taste better than just plain lean meat.

Step 2: Cut the belly pork into smaller pieces. The smaller the size, the faster the cooking time. Logical isn't it?

Step 3: I loves putting in lots and lots of garlics whenever I cook stewed meat cos after the garlic melts, the gravy would looks like a bit caramelised and it's really flavourful. I also put in some star anise and cloves to enhance the flavour.
Step 4: Get all the sauces and flavourings ready. As I ran out of rock sugar, you can always substitute it with white sugar. Soya sauce, dark soya sauce and chinese cooking wine is essential for this dish.
Step 5: Heat up the claypot (wok also can) and then pour just a small teaspoon of oil. Do not do not do not put too much oil as the belly pork is already very fattening! Sauteed the garlic, star anise and cloves until fragrant. Make sure you open all the window now...cos your whole kitchen will be so aromatic now. Psst...let your neighbour envy your cooking skill ma...hehe.

Step 6: After you add in the belly pork, stir it for a while and add in all the sauces and sugar and adjust according to your taste. Pour in about 2 bowls of water and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.

Step 7: If you like stewed eggs, put in the boiled eggs now. You can also put in sliced carrots or dried chillies for some kick.

Keep stewing until the gravy is almost dried up. Scoop up and serves with rice or white congee.

Stewed Egg Stewed Pork Belly

9 comments:

Hubby said...

Yep. Certainly one of my favourites!! Not even my mom can cook a better stew than you. I think we should seriously consider open a makan shop, since you're such a talent...

Precious Pea said...

I think your mum would agree on your statement too. Especially how she copied my soya sauce chicken recipe after she tasted mine. Hahahahahaahahahahahahaha!!

Live2Talk said...

I don't really fancy porkie but can you teach me how cook the Wong's famous soya sauce chicken ah :P

Tummythoz said...

Your openning picture of raw strips of meat looks real fresh & succulent! D end product must be very d shiokadelicious.

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: No problem, let me type out the recipe for you.

Tummythoz: Hahaha...thanks. I got a horryfying comment from my colleague a little while ago. She said the first picture looks so much yummier than the end product! So upset la!

Anonymous said...

I just made this - WOWOWEEE - Really tasty. I admit i replace the Chinese Wine with Sherry and add a good dolp of dried chilli flakes and used powdered chinese five spice instead of star anise ... I think it had the same effect - Happy Diners

anakdesa said...

I've just tried cooking this dish 4 hours ago..hemm not bad..love the taste of it...I had a hard time wondering just how much of ingredients I needed to use. Do hope that you can itemise the quantity. Anyway, just now I just agak-agak only lah..and the outcome?...not bad!

ClearTear said...

sorry, but may i ask when do you put the wine?? im bit lost...

PapaCheong's 拿手好菜 said...

Mmmmm, love everything about it!

Papacheong
http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com/

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online