Thursday, February 08, 2007

Steamed Scallop with Garlic and Pan/Wok-fried Kurau

If you could recall my previous post on my fish shopping at Kuala Selangor 2 weeks ago, it's about time to blog about how I deal with those seafood. The frozen scallops as you can see from my photos below were huge and meaty. A bag of 12 pieces costs us RM20 which I find quite a deal. For tonite, am going to steam 6 pieces, 3 for me and 3 for hubby!

A photo of 5 pieces of scallops! Took one away when this photo taken so that it doesn't cramp the plate.

The best way to cook the scallop is to steam it with either garlic or ginger. I prefer garlic as it's more aromatic. All you got to do is to chop the garlic till it's really fine and then mix it with a bit of sesame oil, a dash of shaoxing wine and salt.

Chopped Garlic!!

Next, put a teaspoon of garlic on each scallops and spread it evenly. I let it marinade about 10 - 15 minutes before putting into a pot of boiling water to steam for about 4 - 5 minutes.

The end result???? Absolutely delicious!! The photo says it all!

As for the Kurau fish (can anyone tell me what is this fish called in English?), you can either steam or fried but both Hubby and I preferred fried version.

The fish was really fresh as it was caught the day we bought it, thus no sticking-to-the-pan problem. When the fish is cooked, with the remaining oil in the pan, stir-fry some chopped garlic, shallot and ginger till golden brown and scoop it onto the fish.

A few dash of good quality soya sauce...and there you go, a plate of very tasty fried fish!

10 comments:

Live2Talk said...

Hey why you curi-curi cook da seafood without asking if i free to have dinner with you or not? Please la next time jemput aku la but I no worry, you still have the whole fridge of seafood rite :P

Live2Talk said...

And btw, kurau fish is called 'Threadfin fish' in English.

Hubby said...

Although the dish appear simple, I really had a good meal. The fish was nice. Kudos to my wife!!!

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: You told me you don't like seafood cos fishy smell, remember?

Hubby: You are most welcomed!

boo_licious said...

yums! the fish and scallops look so gooood. Lucky hubby.

Precious Pea said...

Boo: Yah..i always tell him from time to time how lucky he is. Hahaha!

Tummythoz said...

I've never had scallops in the shell before. Looks most delicious!

Precious Pea said...

Tummythoz: Yeah..you can sometimes get frozen ones in shell at Jusco.

jason said...

My friend's mom once prepare the similar fish dish which I like it very much! If not mistaken, I think she said to add some honey to the soy sauce dressing.

Melting Wok said...

You're confirmed a fish addict from now on :) By the way, those scallops are a steal deal man, you guys are so lucky :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online