Saturday, February 17, 2007

Wong's Family CNY Reunion Dinner

As I will be going back with Hubby to his hometown tomorrow, I cooked a big feast for an early reunion dinner with my dad today and invited my aunt & her family as well. As I was on leave today, I woke up at 7 a.m. and headed to the wet market to get ingredients for the feast tonite. The traffic was crazy...can't even find a parking at 7.30 a.m and the market was super packed!!

Anyway, let me talk about the dishes I cooked tonite. First was the "White Radish & Carrot with Peanuts & Black Eye Beans" which I learnt from my brother-in-law. Actually boiling soup doesn't require any skills, just boil the water and dump in all the ingredients and let it boiled under slow fire for 4 hours. Add salt and that's it.

The ingredients: Chicken Bones/Frames, Peanuts and Black Eye Beans, Dried Longan and Red Dates.
All in one pot..............
After 5 hours of slow-boiling, a very nutritious tasty soup.
I bought a pre-packed Yee Sang for RM24 from Carrefour. Tasted not too bad..and quite big serving too. We didn't manage to finish it as they started attacking other dishes right after tossing the yee sang.
Colourful Yee Sang

It has been a tradition that at each celebration, a steamed chicken dish is a must. The chicken I bought was really good, steamed to perfection. Yummzz!!
Next came the star dish of the night. Honey Soy Sauce Prawns which everyone kept praising. My cousin suggested that I should open a restaurant with this prawn as my signature dish. Haha..not too bad an idea. But got to admit, the sauce was very good. All I did was a few dash of soya sauce, honey, fish sauce, sesame oil and shaoxing wine. Really tasty. Oppss...did I just revealed my trade secret??!!??

Juicy Honey Soy Sauce Prawns

As for spare ribs, I marinated it with fermented red bean curd (nam yue), shaoxing wine, sugar and dark soy sauce for almost 10 hours. Steam it for about 15 minutes and then deep fried it till golden brown. With the remaining sauce, heat it up in the wok, put in corn starch and toss the fried spare ribs till well coated.

Nam Yue Spare Ribs

Lastly, the Mixed Veggie also received lots of compliments, especially from my dad. Ingredients included broccoli, carrot, black wood fungus, white mushroom and squid tossed with oyster sauce.

Mixed Veggies

A very enjoyable meal and it's so satisfying seeing my family enjoyed the dishes I cook. Although am very tired but it's worth it. Speaking of tired, my shoulder aching, back aching, feet aching...not because of the cooking but i also did A LOT of housework today...let me see, wiping, sweeping, vacumming, mopping, changing bedsheets, bathing pea......so so exhausted.

While I headed up to my room to rest, a photo of the 4 Big Heavenly Gamblers (4 Dai Dou Wong) in action.

Zzzzzz....zzzz...snore snore snore.....zzz


9 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Wow you certainly cooked up a feast! I hope you got a nice back rub from hubby. :-) Happy new year!!

Mama BoK said...

Wow..!! you cooked everything..?? gotta get some recipe from you .. ;)
So lucky yer family.. to have you cook for them.. ;)

Precious Pea said...

lyrical lemongrass: Woke up this morning still with aching all over. Happy Chinese New Year to you.

mamabok: Thanks for dropping by. They said they feels lucky too..hehe. Visited your blog but all passward protected..how to get the password? Happy Chinese New Year to you!

mama bok said...

Hey..PP,
I sent you an email already.. :)

jason said...

*clap clap* Your Highness so geng ler, didn't know you can cook so well leh! Happy Chinese New Year! Faster claim a massage from Your Majesty :p

boo_licious said...

Amazing feast of food. Well done! I love the last pix as everyone is concentrating hard on their cards and even Pea is involved as lucky charm to yr hubby.

Precious Pea said...

Mamabok: Thanks...will drop by again to your blog soon.

Jason: Aiyoo..are you going to address me as 'Your Highness' from now on?? Hehe...now you know i can enter kitchen as well as can present myself in the living room!!

Boo: Hahaha..you noticed pea too? Yah..hubby trying to get some luck from my precious.

Suegster said...

Thank You Lai Lai Piu Cheh! It was GREAT!!! SUper Super YUMMYLICIOUS!! TWO THUMBS UP AND TWO TOE UP!!!

Precious Pea said...

You are most welcomed, ar SueG Piu Mui!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online