Thursday, March 22, 2007

Abalone and Snakehead Fish Porridge

We went to Giant last weekend to get a can of black dace fish for Teocheow porridge and I had no idea how we ended up at the fresh fish section. Saw three aquariums and what caught my attention was the yellow eels with the tip of their nose all popping out at the water surface. Quite cute actually. Yummy..unagi...you lucky eels, if I know how to cook unagi, you will all be dead eels in no time. Heh heh heh. Meanwhile, the Snakehead fish or Ikan Haruan or Sang Yu in Cantonese are not so lucky though cos Hubby spotted them and decided to have one for porridge. Snakehead fish is well known to heal wounds especially after operation.

I shall not elaborate on the killing part cos it almost made me vowed to be a vegetarian for life. I repeat....ALMOST! We asked for the head to be removed as well as the unwanted parts inside. Known to be tough survivor, when Hubby sliced it at home, the fish actually moved!! Scary!!

Hubby sliced it real thin and I marinated it with sliced ginger, shaoxing wine and sesame oil.

A bit bland to have fish porridge without anything to chew and so we added in one can of abalone. The abalone was sliced thinly while the water was poured into the porridge.

Mmmmm......my pot of porridge was full of abalone taste. Also added in 2 whole dried scallops for extra sweetness and it was boiled under high heat for 1 hour.

Place the slices of raw fish at the bottom of your bowl. Make sure the porridge is boiling hot when you pour it over the fish to ensure that is it properly cooked.

Topped with slices of abalone, coriander and pepper.....ooohh..yum yum yum....simply delicious, healthy (err...quite high cholesterol actually) and heart warming.

24 comments:

Live2Talk said...

With abalone definitely nice one ;P eh tuk sek nan fei ah my friend. How can a porridge be so luxurious?

mama bok said...

Yummy..!! but expensive porridge.. ;) well worth it.. eh..;)

fong-fong said...

I thought u posted wat u had today...
It's a luxury to have abalone porridge

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: Abalone keep until expired lagi wasteful arr...wink wink, you know who i meant hor?

mamabok: Putting abalone was not part of the plan but since the we got cans of abalone leftover from CNY, might as well eat it before expiry date.

fong-fong: Today's lunch i post later. Of course luxury la...dat is why after 28 years only first time trying abalone porridge.

tankiasu said...

Kakaka..not a very affordable porridge. You blogged it up, we can only read and look in envy. :-P Grrrr.....

team BSG said...

V r convinced U can cook oredi so quickly come up with yr recipe ( if not yr cafe, ok ok V shall patronise it each week and bring 2 new customers each time V come ok ?). btw the snake head is tough thats why it can heal...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Porridge looks really good. I think I got a can of abalone lying around the house somewhere...time for me to whip up some porridge. Only problem...got no haruan..

teckiee said...

sang yu porridge! esp when you have fresh fish1

Precious Pea said...

tankiasu: Soli soli, didn't mean to make you envy one..hehe.

team bsg: Not yet taste already convinced ar? Hahaha...ok ok...i will seriously consider. But problem is, i don't have capital leh. Team BSG willing to be my shareholders or not?

lyrical lemongrass: Quick quick go search for the abalone. Live2talk mum's kept the abalone so long until expired...what a waste!Oh, you can get fresh haruan at all hypermarkets.

teckie: Oh yes, fish must be fresh, otherwise the whole pot of porridge turns fishy.


tec

boo_licious said...

I never knew I could use the liquid in the abalone can - always thought it had preservatives hence I usually throw it away!

Yeah, I also have 2 cans of abalone sitting around which I vowed to use before it expires.

jason said...

Er... porridge ma, why high cholesterol?

k.t.x said...

wow...this is surreal. lol.

snake fish is one nutritious fish. we use to go fish for this snake when young altho we gave up fishing altogether. it's actually the actual fish use for yeesang instead of the many salmons and wat nots huh?...lol.

Precious Pea said...

boo: I find it too wasteful to throw away the water...especially when it's so full of abalone flavour. Since it's a once in a blue moon thingy for me, 1 can of perservative soup won't give me much harm i hope. Hehehe.

jason: Abalone and scallops full of cholesterol ma.

k.t.x: Yah, all along people use snakefish for yeesang but to squeeze off more money from our pocket, they put in salmon and charge extra.

Tummythoz said...

Drools, just nice for d current rainy nights. So good that both spouses can cook well. 'hein-sei-khat-lei'

boo_licious said...

Since I can't comment at the bunny post, will add my comment here. So adorable - that's exactly how my kitty kats sleep too - think they're doing it becoz of the heat.

jason said...

Precious Pea: Ehh.. I never know that abalone and scallops are high in cholesterol -_-!

Yalor, why can't post comment to the rabbit pic? Some hamster also sleep in such position!

Precious Pea said...

Boo and Jason, hehe..i ter-press the wrong button, dat's why can't comment. Error fixed! For your info, i caught Pea sleeping like that too.

tigerfish said...

Just droppin by after visiting lyrical lemongrass.The porridge looks good. I made some recently without the snakehead fish of course(don't know where to get snakehead fish here!)...so only left the abalone...heehee. :D
Is that a shih tzu on your profile?
I used to keep one. Now I keep a mini schnauzer.

Precious Pea said...

Welcome tigerfish!!! Yep, dat's my spoilt brat shih tzu, his name is SnowPea. I like mini schnauzer too, any photos?

MeiyeN said...

"sang-yu" porridge, yummy! and with abalone.... whoaaa... one great meal!!!!

Pam said...

Sis... can order arr the porridge.. cook for my mom plz... errr no nid the abalone lar... just the fish porridge can ady....

Precious Pea said...

meiyen: Oh yes..yummy and perfect for rainy season.

Pam: I will give you a call.

UnkaLeong said...

I've been told they can survive for extended periods of time out of the water...Dad used to work in da mines. Snakeheads a plenty in the brackish waters of a mining pool ;)Accoridng to mom, we even used to have Sang yee Chou Mee Hoon :)

Mochachocolata Rita said...

gosh the killing really scared me T_T

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online