Monday, March 19, 2007

COOKING COMPETITION: HUBBY vs ME!

My father-in-law was up in KL last week and he brought for us two big pieces of wild boar meat. Exotic food to me since I never cook this at home before and not many restaurants serve wild boar meat due to seasonal supply. With a wide grin on my face when I saw the meat, I already planned to cook Wild Boar Curry. While I never cook wild boar meat before, Hubby was trying to convince me to allow him to take charge since he cooked it before, long long time back. After much time spent debating on who should cook, we finally agreed for a "Wild Boar Curry Cooking Competition" be held.

The texture of the meat was really soft and tender as compared to pork, making it quite difficult to slice it real thin. If not mistaken, wild boar meat doesn't contain as much cholesterol too. Eventhough it's a competition, much of the cutting, slicing, chopping were done by me since I reached home from work earlier than Hubby.

These were the ingredients used by Hubby. He marinated the meat with curry powder and soya sauce for about 10 minutes before cooking. Other ingredients he used were curry leaves, garlic, ginger, cilipadi and onions.

Look how serious Hubby was, so determined to win this competition. First, he stir-fry the onions, garlics, ginger and curry leaves till fragrant.

Put in the marinated meat and stir-fry until it's cooked. Wahh....smells good Hubby!

Tada.....this is Hubby's Wild Boar Curry. Comments on the dish will be towards the end of this post....so now, read on to my version of Curry Wild Boar.

Almost similar to Hubby's ingredients, however I also added lemongrass, more curry leaves and cili padi, pounded the garlics and shallots as well as cumin & fennel powder. The vast difference would be the way we marinated the meat. While Hubby tried to blend in the curry taste into the meat by marinating it with curry powder, I was more interested in making the texture tender and soft. So what I did was putting in some corn flour, ginger juice, pepper and a dash of fish sauce.

My brother-in-law used to tell me that the best way to retain the smooth texture of meat is to toss the meat for a few seconds in hot oil or in Cantonese Gor Yau (pass oil). That way, the meat will be half-cooked and thus, cooking time will be cut short. Believe me, the meat really tender and smooth using this method.

Since the meat was toss in hot oil, I used lesser amount of oil to stir-fried the onions, shallots, lemongrass and curry leaves. Don't put in the cili padi so early unless you want to choke your neighbours to death. Hahaha!!!

Pour in the cumin, fennel and curry powder and mix well. Add in about 1/3 cup of water and let it boiled before putting in the wild boar meat. Add in sugar and salt......and that's it.

Dang dang dang dang.....this is my Wild Boar Curry.

Of course each competition must have a judge...no no...it's not Pea, curry too hot for his delicate tummy. It's my dad! In fact when I was preparing the ingredients, I told him about the competition, and guess what he said to me? He said he is 'BUYING ME WIN'!! Wah..he really no give face to his son-in-law! Hahaha...Hubby got a shock when I told him that. So by now, you must be very eager to know how the dishes fair. Hubby's version was not too bad except the meat was a bit dry. As for mine, the meat was tender and the gravy was very aromatic. Hubby commented that my version is simply one of the best he ever tasted. *Big big grin*

Conclusion, who won? THE WINNER IS......my DAD lor! Since he doesn't have to do anything but being served by his daughter and son-in-law, that makes him the biggest winner of the night. Hahahahaha!

21 comments:

Jackson said...

next time invite me for food tasting la!

boo_licious said...

What a cool idea to do a cookoff - both look really yummy. Such a lucky dad you have.

tankiasu said...

At the beginning of this post, I was hoping that your hubby will win. Simply bcoz he's a guy, and he's brave enuf to challenge you (or was it ego? :P). Anyway, well done to both of you! :)

Precious Pea said...

jackson: Yes Sir!!

boo: When I was cutting the meat, he said 1 piece more than enuff, which of course the comment was ignored. When he was eating the curry, he complained not enuff cos me and Hubby ate too much.

tankiasu: I think my hubby still cook the best chicken wine and vinegared trotters. Once a while, friendly competition is healthy..hehe!

Hubby said...

I have to admit... the wild boar curry my wife cooked is by far one of the best I have ever tasted. As I came from a small kampung, I have tasted many styles of cooking this meat, so believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Anyway, it's not a shame losing the competition to a better cook (who happened to be my wife).. hahaha

Live2Talk said...

Your hubby really knows how to buy your heart ... say a few lines and you do all the cooking from now on, which no doubt is yummy and you in turn will squeeze some holidays out of him la (hoe sing mook!)

Cutie said...

Looks yummy! Do i get to try it one day? hehe... Make me jealous how loving you and your hubby are.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I need to refer my husband to your blog. The last time he saw the kitchen was 7 years ago.

Precious Pea said...

hubby: Hehehe...thank you, so sweet.

live2talk: I never thought of that wor...luckily Hubby quite glutton so asking him to cook is not a problem at all.

cutie and lemongrass: Why don't you suggest having a cooking competition with your the other half? Definately a good bonding session!

KY said...

how i want to be that old man now!

tankiasu said...

I wanna have a cook-off with your hubby. Dish of the day? BRAISED PORK!

Precious Pea said...

ky, hahaha...so lucky hor?

tankiasu: Wahh..my hubby being challenged! Let me ask him if he accept your challenge. Why braised pork?? Your signature dish?

Tummythoz said...

Not really fair since your dad already decided he'll like yours better. Pls act fair next time. Shd have outsiders as judges. For example, me.
=P

Pam said...

Ahem!!!
nex time hor.... must invite more judges lar... kekekekek!! so many wai sik people here willing to volunteer you guys cooking...hehehhe!! We sure sapot the healthy competition (and food one....nyums)

Wahhhh u two are a team leh and then so yuk ma summore... hahaha!
u say Dad is the winner, hubby praise your cooking summore. :))

When is your nex cookout? hm shud haf one hor??kekkekke!!!

tankiasu said...

Ok..awaiting answer. Yes, I choose Braised Pork because that's the only thing that I know how to cook!! :P Kekeke..but do not be deceived by the lack of options on my side. You've been warned.

Pam said...

I suggest hor... no nid cookoff la.... since all oso quite good at cooking one... U all shud haf potluck. kekekek!!!
Me not realli a good cook.. I will bring my stomach kekeke (and leong cha)

Aih...sis... did u boil the simple one I taught u for hubby? Make sure drink loads of water k? wan go for Churrascaria soon....

team BSG said...

V think U shud seriously think to set up a family cafe with U as Chief Advisor, da rest as only eaters( not operational executives plse v important, while team BSG shall be da visiting monthly gluttons but pay by washing da dishes ). Maybe in SS2

jason said...

Ahaha.. next time we can tumpang makan at your house lar :P Nice wild boar curry you had there

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: I guess my dad just got more confidence on me than hubby lor.

Pam: My dad already complained not enuff ....somemore invite judges, i think he will merajuk.

team bsg: Hubby suggested also that I can open own cafe. But then with business from your team only once a month, sure close shop la. Somemore non-paying...aiiiihhh.

jason: Hahaha...now catering business pulak...ok ok..will seriously consider.

Precious Pea said...

Wahh.....sounds like you are a great cook wor. Hubby doesn't know how to braise pork cos normally I am the one cooking this dish.

Melting Wok said...

you both lucky devils :P Am sure they both tasted good, however hehe ahem, hubby don't get mad now 'k ? wifey Precious Pea's appeared slightly better than yours hehe, pix. wise I suppose, don't know bout taste, I've to do taste test next time I c u ? hehe.. your wild boar curry reminds me of my szechuan cumin lamb, will do tt soon, btw, you commented on my yee meen on using "tai chow", whazzatt ?? :(

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online