Thursday, May 03, 2007

FIERY CURRY CHICKEN

It's about time for me to blog about my culinary expertise. This is a very outdated post, more than a month ago but somehow never got to be published. Today I will talk about Curry Chicken. To me, my mum's curry chicken was the best. Thanks to my busy-bodyness in the kitchen, I managed to jot down the recipe in my memory, thus once in a while when I craved for curry chicken, I will whip up this dish immediately and it has become Hubby's favourite dish too.

Ingredients to be blended includes garlic, shallots and 1 stalk of lemongrass. When I was in Melbourne, shallots are not easily available, thus the best alternative would be onions but trust me, it doesn't taste as good. So even if it costs me a bomb, I will still try to get a few shallots to mix with onions. Anyway, don't think this problem will exist in Malaysia.

Other important ingredients are Chilli Boh (ground dried chillies), coconut milk, curry powder, cumin powder, fennel powder, lemongrass, curry leaves, potatoes and chickens.

I loves potatoes in my curry, so much so I love it more than the chicken. My mum used to boil the potatoes, then only cut into cubes. I don't like this method as the potatoes would not look nice especially the outer layer part which tends to be softer than the inside. And once you add into the curry, the potatoes will go out of shape when you stir too hard. So, the easiest way will be to deep fried the potatoes first so that the outer layer will give a stronger protection. I actually learnt this from a HongKie friend.



Heat up the wok, put in about 2 tsp of oil, lower the fire, put in the 3 stalks of lightly smashed lemongrass and curry leaves to release its flavour. Pour in the blended ingredients and stir well. If too dry, you can drip more oil to the side of the wok.

Next add in the Chilli Boh. For me, I also added about 3 tbs of ground cili padi....so the amount of chilli paste you put depends on your spiciness threshold.

Next, pour in the curry powder (2/3 of a small packet) and fennel and cumin powder (1 tbs each). You can easily find pre-packed fennel and cumin powder at the supermarket, it's called Jintan Putih & Jintan Manis in Malay or Tai Wui & Siu Wui in Cantonese. My mum used to buy fennel and cumin seeds and pound it herself..but I prefers the easy way.

Fry the mixture until dry but make sure it's not burnt. Add oil if you find it sticking to your wok. Add in the chicken and stir well.

Many people are very health concious and tend to substitute coconut milk with milk, but to me, it doesn't taste as good. Since I spent so much time preparing for this dish, I want it to be perfect! And so I put in two tubes of coconut milk, I presume it's equivalent to 2 coconuts.

Add in 2 cups of water, sugar and salt. Then, let it boil for about 15 minutes. Stir constantly cos curry can be easily burnt. Put in the potatoes and let it cook for another 15 minutes.

I like my curry to be slightly dry so that the gravy is more flavourful. Serve it with white rice, cucumbers and boiled eggs. Yummz...100% cooked with LOVE, got money also can't buy. Hehehe...Hubby, you feel fortunate or not?

To my mum who was such a wonderful cook...yours was still the best!

25 comments:

Hubby said...

Absolutely loved the curry... Yummzzz.. Its one of my favourites!!!

To be honest, I think its even better than my mom's recipe.. Hahaha

Precious Pea said...

To be honest, I never tried your mum's curry before. Hehehe.

Live2Talk said...

Maybe the daughter-in-law should give some tips to the mom-in-law so that she doesn't cook that 3 same dishes every time u pay her a visit ha ha ha :P

Anonymous said...

WOW. Step by step guide to a good curry. BRILLIANT!!! so, the lemongrass, do you smash it and add some water (if so, how much) to get that consistency in your picture?

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: No need to give tips...just cook to impress her, wouldn't that be better? Anyway, now i recalled she tried once when i cooked it in Melb for a picnic in the park.

anonymous: I used 4 stalks of lemongrass, 1 to blend and 3 to smash and add into curry. As for water, few tablespoon will do cos if too dry, the food processor can't grind.

Tummythoz said...

Ur hubby so fortunate. Ur neighbours & I not so. I'm undergoing salivating sight torture, they pula sure kuat-kuat kena droolicious smell torture!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

okay, the Bald Eagle is banned from visiting your blog. You spoil market lar for ppl like me. hehehehe.

Jackson said...

yooo... "sar fa chiong" in the comment area ya.... hahaha! Lucky u, precios pumpking, hv such a good chef cum wife at home.... when can try yr cooking a?

wmw said...

There you go again, taking pictures and cooking at the same time. I would like to hereby volunteer my service, you cook, I take pictures then we all eat together! Hee hee....

Oh, just realise your husband's name also starts with the letter P, wah, really the P family! :o)

franklew said...

good things don't hide lah..one day i ask my wife to cook, we do some comparison...frank lew

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: Hehehe..tonite you can go home and try out my recipe. As for my neighbours...i can only hear them sneezing when am tumis-ing my fiery chilli paste. No slurp slurp sound though.

lyrical lemongrass: Bald eagle reads my blog? But you can also cook chic varuval (is this how you spell it) rite?

jackson: Be patient, will invite you floggers over to my new house for a makan session but that would be end of the year.

wmw: Aiyoo..should have volunteer your service earlier...hahaha..will invite you over next time i cook curry. You can take hot rite? Oh yes...my sis always refers them as 4Ps of the family - Papa, Paul, Pea and Pumpkin.

Precious Pea said...

Frank, cooking competition?? Hahaha...we should just request Wong Sifu to cook. He always tell us how he cook his nasi lemak, sambal sotong, hainanese chic rice, etc etc...makes us salivating only.

Hey, now i remember, Wong said he is going to whip up a TeoChew cuisine for us isn't it?

KampungboyCitygal said...

ur curry sauce is more orangy in coloured and it looks good..my mum one is like yellowish one wor..haha but i will still love mumy version of curry chicken

Precious Pea said...

kampungboycitygal: Mummy's cooking always the best :) YOu should learn from her too and pass down to your children then grandchildren..etc..Hehe!

Neko Hime said...

Oooh looks like how my mom cooks hers!! Yummy... If only blogs can have scratch and sniff..

Kay said...

Oh wow.........speechless!

tigerfish said...

Though I cook curry often, you make me want to eat curry again. From the color and looks of it, I know this is good delicious classic curry.
Ye, I can never get tired and sick of curry .:D

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

dear me..you are really everything eh? food reviews..cooking..recipes..step by step guides..you can almost compile a dummy on how to cook ABC..? can make money liao.

i shall be healthy and withstand the urge to go out and buy chicken curry..just not sure how long only..

sc said...

hi pea, thanks for popping by my blog..wah, your curry chicken looks real good *drools*

Precious Pea said...

neko hime: Scratch & Sniff?? Who knows..maybe we will be able to do that in 10 years time.

kay: :)

tigerfish: I loves curry too but with the hot weather here, not advisable to eat too often. Remember my post on all the medication when i recently sick? I was sick the day after this curry.

constant craver: If you happen to know anyone who would like to employ me to blog full time, do let me know. I will quit my job with 24-hour notice. Hehehe..good luck from refraining yourself from curry. Yummy...goes well with roti you know?

sc: Hi sc, welcome to my blog too.

UnkaLeong said...

Can smell from ere... Yummy!

jason said...

*hugs Precious Pea*
I'm thinking to learn how to prepare multiple sambals' from my mom.... but kinda lazy..
Nice curry!

Kenny Mah said...

Me must have my curries and gravies SUPER DRY too. Yours looks DEEliCIous! :D

Precious Pea said...

unkaleong: Wahh..and i can smell the braised trotters from here. So miss err!!!

Jason: You plan to open sambal shop in KL ar? Hehehe..when can be your guinea pig?

kenny mah: High 5!!!

Iva said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. It looks good.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep coming back.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online