Thursday, March 29, 2007

AN ITALIAN AFFAIR......

It was an All Girls Night Out with my ex-secondary classmates, a time to catch-up & gossip over dinner. Given 4 options to choose from, we finally decided to try out this new Italian Restaurant in SS2 called Buonasera. This shop is located right behind of SS2 Savemart supermarket, the same row as Ho Weng Kee and Hai-O. Months ago, I received an unexpected call from my ex-collegue who had just finished her meal here and she was raving about the quality of the food. Huh? Call me out of the blue just to promote this place? Anyway, she did warn me that this place is pricey.

The shop was empty when we walked in. It was cosy and smells fresh...probably they just sprayed some apple-scented freshener. My only comment would be the Chinese New Year lantern hanging in an Italian Restaurant, don't they realise the festive season already over? To our relief, we found that the chef is a bubbly Italian man while the lady serving us is his sister. Once seated, we saw a small newspaper write-up about this place and apparently their Rosemary Chicken is really good and Pam requested that it is a must order dish. The chef told us that they run out of Rosemary Chicken...hmm...bad. Pam was excited over the Pumpkin soup and again he told us, not available....hmmm...bad bad. He explained that they are expecting a big gathering tonight and so all already pre-booked by this group. DUH?!?! If you know you are expecting many people, should they prepare more to cater for walk-in customers?

I can feel Pam getting a bit irritated already and quickly I suggested we order a mushroom soup instead. The bowl of Mushroom Soup (RM8.90) was huge and definately have to be shared! Taste was ok, no big deal but I would prefer the mushroom bits to be chunky instead of blended till fine.

Next came the Pan Fried Button Mushrooms (RM19.90) which was tossed with crush peppercorns and basil. A bit too salty for me though and I find for the price they charged for such small serving, if not mistaken, a total of 4 button mushrooms cut into half, what a rip-off!

The chef recommended this Seafood Spaghetti (RM33.90) which is cooked to perfection. The tomato sauce was really flavourful with just the right amount of herbs while the texture of spaghetti was perfect too (I still remember I suffer from indigestion after having spaghetti at Modesto's). Yumzz...this got my vote! And Pam! And May!

My favourite dish of the night was their Enzo Buonoseria Pizza (RM26.90 for small) which I find very authentic and gourmet feel. Thinly crusted with tomato based, they ingredients that went in includes olives, bacons, marinated capsicums, marinated eggplants, button mushrooms and BACON!!! Yummz...if I ever revisit this place, this will be my sure order. In fact, most of pizzas have pork bacon in it.....slurpz!

And of course, dessert time. From their menu, it seems like they only have 3 choices; tiramisu, chocolate pot and gelato. The Italian lady recommended the Tiramisu (RM11.90) which personally tasted like dried sponge cake topped with cream and sprinkled with coffee powder. Luckily the serving was small, which I dunno whether it's a compliment or complain. Hehe!

Their Chocolate Pot (RM14.90) was really really rich and chocolatey, a must try for chocoholics! The chocolate pot was smooth and rich..almost like eating semi melting chocolate. Together with the Vanilla ice-cream...ooo..so sinfully good.

This is the total damage, RM 133 for the 3 of us. Pricey hor??

Since all the dishes we had were quite small, we left the restaurant with 2/3 filled tummy. Pam not satisfied and suggested we go to Melaka Street, which is a few doors away for dessert. Grrr...was told that they were not serving dessert that day. How leh?? Still 1/3 to be filled and so, we went to another Italian Restaurant in SS2, my favourite Pizzeria Bella Italia, next to Public Bank and behind KFC.

Been here couple of times and I just love their Deep-fried Button Mushrooms!! Another dish worth mentioning is their Baked Seafood Spaghetti for 2 served in an aluminium foil. Lots of seafood goes into it....highly recommended.

And so, 3 of us walked in, sat down, and ordered only this.....My Favourite Deep Fried Button Mushrooms. Can you see the amount of mushrooms here????? It's whole button mushrooms for only RM13.80!!!!!!! Served with tartar sauce and salad....ooo....yummy!!!

We conquered two Italian restaurants in one night and 3 of us went home with a satisfying grin.

19 comments:

Pam said...

Wheee!!! Your writeup is much better than mine...keke!

this place Buonasera pricy leh... smack in SS2.....
I think for the price, we can try La Risata nex time la....

the mushrooms in Bella Italia (ok ok... PIZZERIA Bella Italia) is the super nyummmmmm kekekek!!! We shud go to Bel Pasto ok... the mushroom soup ..u will give thumbs n toes UP!!

MeiyeN said...

O_o da seafood spaghetti really expensive!!!!

boo_licious said...

gosh, this place is too overpriced and yup that spaghetti seafood is definitely a rip off. Can't comment on the rest as I rarely eat appetizers. Go try Porto Romano instead but then no bacon as pork free place.

So far I've noticed, places which serve pork/bacon and etc always overcharge. Suspect it's because they know Msians are a deprived lot who will pay lots to just eat pork in their dishes hence they cash in on this.

Precious Pea said...

Pam: Pricey indeed, but never try never know. Did you notice the shop next door? Sam Cheng Roast Goose, will try it one day. Next time we decide on going for Italian, we go Bel Pasto ok?

meiyen: Exactly!! Actually serving not very big, 1 person can easily finish it off.

boo: The Italian owner of Sure Pizza in Hartamas Shopping Centre told me, given a choice he would do it non-halal too as pork creates wonder on Italian food. However, due to certain Bumiputera requirement, he left with no choice but to make it halal.

Pink Elle said...

Wah pretty steep! If you're willing to splurge a bit more for Italian, Pregos at Westin still remains a favourite choice for me! :)

Or if you have something really nice to celebrate, try Villa Danielli at Sheraton Imperial - beautiful romantic setting and the beef cheeks there are to die for! :)

Live2Talk said...

I love those Deep-fried Button Mushrooms :P Err you didn't bring along your Pavarotti ka?

Timothy said...

Yeah .. I agree. It's pricey for 3 person. I wanted to visit them for an article but now that I've read yours, I am changing my mind. I little too expensive for my taste.

Precious Pea said...

pink elle: Beef cheek? Wow...must be soft and tender. Same concept with fish i guess since I also always attack the cheek first.

live2talk: But given a choice, you would rather have salted egg squid from King Crab hor?? ;)

timothy: Hi! Thanks for dropping by. They so cham, just because of my blog, they losing business. Hope i don't get sued. @_@

Someone who is constantly craving said...

wah..2 places in 1 nite..sommore 2nd place just for 1 dish..respect..yes i agree that pizza put bacon onli nice la..but if u got parma ham or prosciutto even better...

jason said...

O_o I might consider to go for their Chocolate Pot only!

Kay said...

that pizza..... is like woah...got soo much stuff in it...thought i like to try the chocolate and the mushroom...mm

Precious Pea said...

Constant Craver: Hi there, thanks for dropping by. Oh yes...bacon makes a big big difference to the pizza! They do have parma ham with melon as appetizer.

jason: Hehe...oh yes..super rich! You must try.

kay: Thanks for visiting my blog. The pizza is really nice, at least it justified the price we paid.

tankiasu said...

Hip hip hooray for Pizzeria Bella Italia and booooo for Buonasera!!

Wanna try Bella Italia. But do they serve pork there? ;)

Precious Pea said...

Tankiasu, can't recall seeing any porky in their menu..so i guess it's halal.

Anonymous said...

I've tried Buonasera once - because reviews said it's the only place that serves non-halal Italian food. The food is quite good, but I was shocked at the price on the menu.

Modesto's is definitely a no-no...we went there for company lunch once and even though it's cheap (50% off), I won't go back again. The food is just thaaat bad.

-miki

Xiu Long Bao said...

*applause* for conquering 2 italian restaurants in one nite :) The chocolate pot looks like a cup of cocoa powder.

tigerfish said...

I want to eat that seafood spaghetti!
And I'm anytime for that chocolate pot :D
Alamak, lunchtime! So hungry now...
And the Chinese lanterns in Italian restaurant...so farnee...hahahh!
Maybe they keeping it for next CNY lah!

Precious Pea said...

miki: Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog! Yah, modesto's is lousy, maybe becos it's 50% off, so they serve 50% quality. Haha.

xiu long bao: Thank you thank you. Next time should break my record, 3 restaurants in 1 night.

tigerfish: Hehehe..with your culinary skill, i think you can also whip up the same dish, even better! Yalor..lanterns in Italian restaurant, just don't feel right lor.

teckiee said...

bella italia's set lunch is really worth it. I remember back when i was still studying, that is the only place where I can have authentic italian food that dont burn a hole in my pocket. Love their pizzas!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online