Wednesday, April 25, 2007

AH TUAN EE'S PLACE @ SS2

My colleagues (4 of them) came to my place after work one day to visit Pea and Pumpkin and of course, the 2nd agenda would be to proceed for dinner after they finished exhausting both my Ps. Miss Accounting suggested we try Ah Tuan Ee's Place, a Nyonya Restaurant nearby which somehow never strike my interest to try although I live so near and always drove past that place.

After browsing through their menu, we ordered the followings:

Pandan Chicken (RM15.80 for 5 pieces), so where are the pandan leaves? It tasted like ordinary fried chicken and for that kind of price, I felt so ripped off.

Seems like all my colleagues got a passion for squid. Since it's a Nyonya Restaurant, we opted for the Sambal Sotong (RM33.80). The gravy was not too bad; spicy and appetising. But again, I think the price is a bit too high.

The Stir-Fried Four Angled Beans with Sambal (RM14.80) was crunchy...yummzzz...this got to be my favourite dish tonite.

We also ordered a pot of Curry Fish Head (RM36.80) which came piping hot but to my disappointment, the gravy was watery. I would prefer the thick version that goes so well with steamed rice. I find the fish meat was a little bit overcooked but I loved the floating brinjals, ladies finger and tauhu-pok.

Last dish of the night was something non-spicy, Fried Golden Beancurd topped with Minced Meat and Chicken (RM16.80). I only took one bite, so that explained how impressed I was with this dish. Hahaha! Actually the tofu was ok, just that I prefer spicy food than non-spicy.

Since we were not too happy with the food yet still feeling gluttony, we ordered a bowl of Iced Cendol (RM4.80) to share. Hahaha...terrible isn't it? 5 of us sharing 1 small bowl of cendol but the waiter was happily distributing bowls for us. But I guess overall, everybody was impressed at the Iced Cendol; shaved ice was smooth, gula melaka was rich & flavourful and the cendol was fresh (homemade we suspect?) But to me, RM4.80 for a bowl of Cendol is too overpriced!

Lou Sang using Iced Cendol? Eh?? Where are those Cendol?? At the bottom? Dig dig and dig!!

Total bill including drinks and rice came up to RM169 for the 5 of us. Personally I felt the place is way too pricey for a neighbourhood restaurant. Anyway, if you are interested to try, here is the address:

Ah Tuan Ee's Place (same row as New Paris Restaurant)
74 Jalan SS2/72
47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

22 comments:

jason said...

The squid sounds realllyyyy a bit overpriced since it looks such small serving.

wmw said...

I tried this place once a long time ago. Felt the food was only so so for such prices.

Kenny Mah said...

I agree with you... it's rather pricey, especially when the food quality isn't too consistent...

Mama BoK said...

Wow..!! that sounds a tat ex..! and some more food quite the ordinary..! not worth it leh..!!

Live2Talk said...

My fav dish for the nite is the cendol and i don't like the curry fish head err more like an asam fish head to me :( Not goin back there again. No wonder they no biz :O

Precious Pea said...

Jason: Oh yes, i didn't realise the squid so that expensive until i go through the receipt again. You are right, it's quite small serving actually.

wmw: Aiii..should have consult you earlier.

kenny mah: I felt that they are charging 'shopping mall' price whereas they are only operating in a quiet neighbourhood shoplot.

mamabok: Yep, but never try never know.

live2talk: Must admit that Cendol is good...but don't think people will go there for just cendol lor.

tankiasu said...

Gila, so overpriced. I'll choose Restoran Ma Ma's in D'sara Jaya over this anytime!!

Someone who is constantly craving said...

expensive = no ned to try! hahaha thanks for all the calories i saved..

KY said...

the price of the squid is a bit crazy

Xiu Long Bao said...

this place is well known for potong-ing leher. very expensive! But hey...a bowl of chendol for 5??? i myself must hav one full bowl of chendol ;p

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

at prices like this, i hafta learn how to cook man.

Precious Pea said...

tankiasu: Will try Restoran Mama's soon. The Chinese restaurant next door to Mama's also not too bad but slightly pricey.

Constant Craver: The highest calories dish here (Curry Fish Head) is actually not high at all, cos it's watery. I was expecting thick and creamy gravy. :(

ky: That is why when i read about your Bibichik, i was shocked when you said their dishes around RM8 - RM15!

xiu loong bao: No wonder no business ler...that nite only 3 tables including us. One table with 2 pax and the other with 3 pax. As the dishes we ordered was not-so-satisfying, it's safer to order one dessert to share.

lyrical lemongrass: Am sure you can cook better. You did mentioned a chicken dish that nite, didn't you? Hint hint wink wink!

Kenny Mah said...

I just went to the restaurant next to Mama's yesterday for lunch -- Boss punya treat. Good service and the food was good, if a bit salty (the gravy). It's the one that offers a roast duck for RM28 on the 28th of every month.

Precious Pea said...

kenny mah: Lucky you to have such a generous boss. I didn't know about the roast duck...tried before?? Any good??

Ms accounting said...

PP:Whats make u so many complaints on this meals is just b'cos of the price issit!!!
Sorry lor, i don noe that costly too!!

Precious Pea said...

Ms Accounting, no la...not your fault but never try never know ma. But then again, pricey and good quality sure no complain. But pricey yet no good quality...shake shake head. Aiyah..next time stick to my King Crab yeah??Yumzz...Salted Egg Squid!!

Ms accounting said...

Yes & when? But still need to b adventurious abit la.. Always eat d same food also very bore...>_<

Precious Pea said...

When we get gaji lor! We eating out once a month isn't it?

k.t.x said...

this ahtuanee place has loong been banned by me/us, since my bro and i lunched there several years ago. total rip off, food wise it sucks, topped off with such high cost.

i'd prefer those peranakan restaurants errrr.... located at the same block of Sri Siam....in ss2 better.

Precious Pea said...

k.t.x, aiyooo....i didn't know this place is famous for the wrong reason until now. I heard the nyonya restaurant same block of Sri Siam as well as behind sri siam also not too bad. Will try it one day.

Athan said...

Wa Lau
The squid really "potong Head"!!

The four angled Beans (sure is this name?), is one of my favarite too, but I love it fried with Chili Paddy.

The Yu Shang Cendol also great :E


A.Chin.

Link said...

For Nyonya food I suggest:
1) Peranakan House at New Taman Sea (they've a branch at 1U called Peranakan Place, but I haven't been there in a while). Stuff they're good at: Chicken Pong Teh, Beef Rendang, Chili Garam Fish, Perut Ikan, Sayur Paku, Honey Sotong.

2) Tanjung Bungah at SS2 (same row as the old Cheow Yang, but in the middle). Stuff they're good at: Inchi Kabin, Nasi Ulam, Perut Ikan, Coffee Spare Ribs, some like the Joo Hoo Char there (I'm not a fan of that stuff, so :p ). Quality there is not that as consistent though.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online