Tuesday, April 24, 2007

BONJUK - Tradititional Korean Porridge

After our Saturday food crawl, I met up with Boolicious, Lyrical Lemongrass and WMW again yesterday for dinner at the newly opened BONJUK, a Korean traditional porridge restaurant which focus on promoting healthy. With over 700 outlets throughout Korea, Japan and United States, this outlet in Desa Sri Hartamas (formerly A Little Dim Sum Place) is the first franchised outlet in South East Asia.
Menu wise, you won’t find any BBQ meat like any other Korean restaurants nearby. As I mentioned earlier, BONJUK focus on healthy food, thus you can find various flavour of Korean porridges and each has their own nutritional values. They recently introduced bibimbap and they have great variation, I was too spoilt with choices. Click here for the menu.


Initially, I was keen to try the porridge, but I just couldn’t decide which one to order. Seafood? Oyster n Mushrooms? Salmon? Kimchi? At the same time, knowing that I am very fussy when it comes to texture of rice and porridge, I decided to order Bibimbap…hehehe..to be on the safe side. True enough, the texture of the porridge is not what I fancy. While I prefer the Chinese version which is smoother (Meen) and watery, the Korean version was a bit dry and you can still see some grains in the porridge. I tried Boo’s and Lemongrass’s porridge, although it taste good, but I know definitely I won’t be able to eat one bowl by myself.

Lyrical Lemongrass's Seafood Porridge (RM15.95)Close-up shot of the seafood porridgeBoo's Kimchi with Spicy Octopus Porridge (RM12.95) Close-up shot of the Kimchi with Spicy Octopus Porridge WMW's Beef Bulgogi BibimbapWMW commented that it would be better if they put in more beef My Spicy Octupus Bibimbap served on Hot Stone Bowl (RM21.95)


The first time I had Bibimbap was in Lotte World, Korea and somehow, I could not find any of it served here as good. But I simply love the bibimbap in Bonjuk, the spicy sauce with octopus was really flavourful and appetising. Served with seaweed soup and Kim Chi (Korean preserved chinese cabbage), the meal was rather satisfying.

The owner of the outlet, Andrew Kim was rather amused when he saw us snapping photos of the food upon being served. We told him that the photos are to be posted on our blogs, hence free advertisement for him. I guess he was really happy about it and treated us to Korean Seafood Pancake. Haha…goodie..that means more photos! The pancakes I had elsewhere were more flourish but the pancake here was soft and full of clams, mussels, shrimp and squids. Nice!

After the yummy dinner, we decided to have some dessert (notice some trend here?) and so we walked over to Alberto’s to try their highly recommended Kinder Bueno’s flavoured Gelato. But to our disappointment, the Gelato greeted us with semi-melted face at a discounted price….sigh. So we walked off to Hayn’s Pizzeria for their Lecka-Lecka Gelatos. Ended up with coffees, tiramisu, brownies and crème brulee since the gelatos were way too sweet for us. And of course, another round of photo snapping.

Latte, Long Black, Cuppachino and Tiramisu Tiramisu
Creme Brulee....Lemongrass's fav..
Thanks to Boo for such great recommendation and once again, a great night out with my new foodie friends.

Bonjuk is located at: 18, Ground Flr, Jalan 25/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas
Hayn's PIzzeria is located at 64 Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas

19 comments:

tankiasu said...

Kekeke...was recently offered free food by a hawker too. He too was so happy when I told him I'm giving him free publicity. But I didn't take his offer. :-P

jason said...

Ahh... I want the gelatos! Can include in da foodcrawl? Hope that they'll have the fresh one by saturday...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I like how fast we made the decision. But I think Andrew Kim had a lot to do with it. ;-) The Luscious Sisters will have to go again to try all the other stuff there, ok.

wmw said...

I concur! ;o)

KampungboyCitygal said...

haha..food crawl in bkt tinggi then in hartamas..the porridge look so good..and the i-po roasted duck is a MUST go place

tigerfish said...

I never tried korean porridge before. Does it taste as good as those chinese pork or fish porridge?

Hmmmm..next time when I take my food pictures in eateries or restaurants, I will use the same trick and hit for a free dessert. :D But it's tricky...how do they know it's free GOOD ads...and not BAD ones ? LOL!
Now, even if the food is not-so-good, must be obliged to write something good right? ;p

boo_licious said...

Glad you liked the bibimbap. Yeah the porridge is the thick type versus the watery grainy type so can be quite dry.

Tigerfish - if food not bad, must be honest as no such thing abt being obliged.

Precious Pea said...

tankiasu: Which hawker? Normally new eateries do that so that they get more business.

Jason: No problem! Hopefully the gelatos are fresh during the weekends.

Lyrical lemongrass: 1st Motivation was HIM, 2nd Motivation was food! Hahaha...but i agree with you, i like the fast decision made, no err...see first, see how...etc.

wmw: :)

KampungboyCitygal: Yah yah...the duck is nice...skin so crispy! Go a bit late so you can go for tong yuen again.

tigerfish: Ermm...i find it quite bland, probably cos you need to compliment it with kimchi and other condiments. That's why i said i prefer the chinese porridge which is good enuff to eat on its own. Well, like Boo said, no obligation to put up good post, I just write what i feel about the food.Hehehe..don't think am that powerful enuff to bring them out of business with my bad review.

boo: Bibimbap good!!!! Next time must request for an raw egg on top.

Pink Elle said...

Wow, looks so good! Are the portions big though? I've been so tempted to try this place! Cute how you guys have been going out for your little makan sessions!

MeiyeN said...

da spicy one looks interesting! extremely hot or not?

Live2Talk said...

Next time snap a pix with the leng chai boss la for me to see ... so that i can go and have my kimchi porridge as starter and leng chai boss as main meal :D

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

live2talk, that would be my fault! I got in between WMW's camera and leng chai man. Now WMW has a picture of ugly food blogger instead of leng chai korean boss.

Precious Pea said...

pink elle: Porridge comes in either Medium or Big serving. Take medium so you will have space for other stuff. Bibimbap is quite reasonable serving too.

meiyen: I took 1 spoonful only but it was not spicy...so you got to ask Boo.

live2talk: I guess Lemongrass already explained to you what happened. WMW was aiming sideway her camera (without flash of course) but was blocked by lemongrass. And cos he was facing me directly, I could not curi-curi snap lor. Next visit perhaps??

lyrical lemongrass: We need to come out with some codes so that when we face this kind of situation again next time, we know what to do. LOL!

Someone who is constantly craving said...

next time need to b damn obvious also la..so ppl can offer me free food also! haha..shall invest in a big slr camera now haha..i also want to try dis place also la..

Precious Pea said...

Constant Craver, but it might backfire, some places don't quite like people taking photos of their food. Hehe.

Anyway, do try Bonjuk soon.

Honey Star said...

oooooo...my sis told me bout this place. i'll let her know ahout your review.

timmy said...

Yukss.... Coffex coffee sucks!

caitoh said...

yummy photos! we have one that opened here in Los Angeles (Koreatown)...I'm going there today for takeout...they pack the side dishes into little reusable tupperware, genius!

nu said...

ummmm... yummy.. i really like poridge... but how can i make it... ummm so delicious...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online