Monday, April 30, 2007

FOOD BLOGGERS' GATHERING @ SANDIAS

Excite yet nervous. This was what I felt during the Food Blogger's Gathering @ Sandias organised by Boolicious in conjunction with the Klue RSVP Event. There were 38 food bloggers (including their spouses and guests) attending the gathering so it was pretty an amazing experience for me to meet the owners of other blogs that I have been reading and putting comments daily. The introducing part was fun, cos nobody knows who you are when you introduced your name, but once you tell them which blog you are from, you will get response such as Oohhhh and Aaahhh!! Hahahaha!! But I guess the funniest moment was when WMW and I bumped into Kampung Boy and City Gal in front of Sandias and not knowing their real name, we just called out Kampung Boy! City Gal!

The place was rather small and so it was really packed with all the food bloggers mingling around. I find it pretty warm too, luckily cocktails were unlimited so i gulped down to 6-7 glasses that nite. Probably the alcohol was the culprit. Apart from my makan kaki i.e. WMW, Lyrical Lemongrass and Boo it was really great to finally meet up with KampungBoyCityGal, Jackson, Jason (all the way from Ipoh), Someone who is constantly craving, Tankiasu, Tummythoz, Teckie, Mei Yen and her Darling Bob, FoodieLiaane, WaiSikKai, Nigel, Xiu Loong Bao, RevenousRabbit, FoodCookies, Kenny Mah, BabeintheCity and who else (cracking my head)? Anyway, if i left out anyone, please let me know yah.

Ok now, on the food part...Sandias is a Mexican Restaurant and with food bloggers around, I thought the food would be extra good.

Bread to start off with.....pass me the butter please??

Since am with Hubby, I tend to order different dishes for us so that we get more food photos. Hahaha...I think that benefited WMW too since she was also busy taking photos of my food. For appetiser, I had the Pumpkin Soup...which kinda tasted like unsalted dhal. This is my second time having pumpkin soup so i don't know if it's supposed to taste like this since the first time i had the soup was at Secret Recipe which was added with curry powder. I took a few spoonful of this and passed the rest over to Hubby.

Hubby had the Chicken Tortillas which is basically minced chicken wrapped with tortilla skin and then deep fried. First bite was good...but 2 more bites later, I find it too oily for me, in fact the tortillas were covered with oil. So I just korek out the minced chicken..hehe..hopefully am not too rude in doing that.

For the mains, I had the Baked Sole in Tomato Salsa served with Oily Rice and Mixed Veggies at the side. The fish tasted bland and frozen, just like Dory fish to me and so I immediately handed this over to Hubby. For your info, I have phobia over Dory cos back to my dieting months before wedding, I was having steamed/grilled dory without any sauce almost like daily. Being a glutton, you can imagine the impact of such diet have on me. LOL

Hubby was really disappointed with his Chicken Dish too....sauteed with a sauce that tasted like a mix between Oyster Sauce and Black Pepper Sauce, the only thing I like about the gravy was actually the pine nuts. By the way, their servings were not consistent cos WMW's gravy was without nuts while fried banana was missing from our plates. :( Probably the crowd was too big for them, thus it got a bit disorganised at one point.

Lastly, the dessert!!! I seriously do not know how Mexican dessert tasted like but this layered gallet with frozen lime cream was way too sweet for me. Actually the photo of the dessert below belongs to WMW as my ice-cream shape was kinda like shredded instead of one round scoop.

Although food wasn't great, I was really happy and left Sandias with a big smile with all the new friends I made. Well...got to admit that I couldn't remember all the names (I am really bad at remembering names) but I certainly now can put a picture in my mind to each blog. Just can't wait to meet up again at next gathering...Ninja Jones isn't it?

Other Bloggers' review on the gathering:

22 comments:

wmw said...

I just realise, how could you order Pumpkin soup??? Poor Pumpkin! hee hee...Anyway, thanks for letting me take photos of your food. I think the food quality was compromised as they could not handle the crowd. Maybe it would be better on normal business days.

jason said...

Yeah, agree too. I notice there's only about 3-4 waiter/waitress to serve the whole gang.

Kay said...

Nice food and nice gathering!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

nice meeting you too!..oh dear..so did the dory diet go well?? bcoz i actually fancy dory haha..maybe i can make it a point to change it to a diet also..

nxt time..dont care..pumpkin and pea has to come! hahahaha

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Pumpkin soup is ok as long as not dog meat. Yucks!

jason: I thought only 1 waitress and the boss? The other only serves drink, no?

Kay: Definately a great gathering, not so much on the food though.

Joe: I was few months on dory, salad and sausage diet. It works but then it's super torturing. Short term dieting yes, but how to live on such diet forever? Phew, am glad am married now. Hahaha.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Yup. It was a lot of fun trying to identify all the food bloggers. I definitely can relate to the Ohhhs and the Aahhs!

Xiu Long Bao said...

Agree! They were so disorganised...n the food..errr...

Precious Pea said...

lyrical lemongrass: You really enjoyed yourself that night ;)

xiu long bao: High 5!!

k.t.x said...

wow...it's so the fun huh? but from the looks of it, the food is so mediocre, m i right? but i guess the company kinda compensates for it.

jason said...

Precious Pea: There's one Malay girl, one boss, and a few guys la... and 2 sexy Martell girls :P

Char Siew Bao said...

LoL... Sorry didnt intro myself (as per your comment in xiu long bao's blog)... too *shy shy* lah :P

Ur comments on the food are straight on... but i like d tortillas thought...

Other than that, chicken was dissapointing and dessert tasted like desert +_+"

In btw, very cute dogggggggyyy u hav! WOoF!

Precious Pea said...

k.t.c: I totally enjoyed meeting with out floggers. It's like completing a whole puzzle: da blog with the owner's face.

Jason: Hmm..must be not lengjai la..otherwise i would notice them. LOL!

char siew bao: Initially Hubby asked me not to post about the food, knowing that i could be quite blunt and direct..but then all the others felt the same way isn't it? Anyway..must really meet you at the next gathering.

Woof woof from pea and pumpkin. Haha!

Tummythoz said...

Hiya. Think I must have caught u offguard when I intro myself. U looked quite surprised. How d'u expect tuumythoz to look like? Serious. Really need to see your 2 darling boys soon!

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: Hehehe...was I surprised??? Actually yeah...cos with all the good food you are having, i would have thought you are as chubby as the bearbear. Dim chi, total opposite. Am waiting for Jackson to offer his cafe for a mini gathering to see PUmpkin.

Jackson said...

ooo....honestly i hv the same comment on food with you too. But i enjoy that that just becoz of the people around!!

team BSG said...

you mean the missing credits were for Sweet & Sexy PP or Gorgeous but missing team BSG ah ?
hahaha !

Great u guys and girls had a great time !

Tummythoz said...

Haha! I'll take that as a compliment. Jackson! So boleh-kah?

jason said...

Precious Pea: Ya lar, else your "sensor" would have detected them ^^

boo_licious said...

Awww, sorry abt the food taste was so bad for you. I don't think that restaurant has ever catered for such a big crowd before as it was chaotic. That's the problem with events like these as food quality is always compromised. Now I'm getting worried abt Ninja Jones since they're also a relatively new place.

Precious Pea said...

Jackson: Yah...the meeting people is the most fun part. And you look so lengjai in real life ;)

team BSG: Where were you guys? How come didn't join us? Missing credits sure goes to your team la!

Tummythoz: It is definately a compliment! Ya lor..Jackson..were you drunk when you make that offer that nite?

Jason: My sensor doesn't work well after 6-7 glasses of cocktail.

boo: Haha...well, like you said, food quality is usually not so good if catered for huge crowd but I ABSOLUTELY enjoyed myself. Looking forward to Ninja Jones...don't care, i will still go if food sucks. Anyway, wat is the date? Am away from 23 - 27 though.

Kenny Mah said...

Aiya... I only managed to identify some of the food bloggers. I blame it on being a bit too tired that night to be my usual social butterfly self. Still, I had a great time there!

See you at Ninja Jones next! :D

babe_kl said...

pea, was that Ohh a standard expression :p hehehe. nice to meet the mom and dad of pea and pumpkin ;-)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online