Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sam Chen Restaurant @ SS2

Sam Chen or Sham Tseng (literally 'deep well') is a coastal area in Tsuen Wan District, Hong Kong. Sham Tseng is famous for roasted goose, in fact, they even sealed and packed it nicely for visitors to bring back home. At HKD250 per bird (approximately RM125), my colleague and I both shared a duck and so on the day we checked out, 2 boxes of 1/2 bird each greeted us at the lobby with an aroma-killing scent of a luscious roasted goose. However, what greeted us when I opened the box was a 1/2 goose full of fats. No kidding, the layer of fats is so thick that you almost can't find any meat at all. What a rip off!! From that time onwards, we only stick to Yung Kee Restaurant(near Lan Kwai Fong), a premium price to pay but total satisfaction assured.

During my dinner at Buonasera, I spotted this newly opened Sam Chen Restaurant next door offering Roasted Goose. And so, Hubby and I decided to try it out last week. The price of a roasted goose here is the same as HK...hmm...I seriously thought it would be cheaper. You can either order roasted meat (ala carte) or with noodle or rice. Price seems reasonable too...but the rest of the menu is just like any other HK cafe...nissin noodles, french toast, cheese baked rice, you name it they got it. After our order was taken, the man seated next to our table was served with a plate of rice with creamy gravy. He only took one spoonful of the rice!! OH NO!! This is not good.

Hubby ordered Iced Honey Lemon (RM3.60). Can't really see the lemon from the picture but got to compliment their generousity cos they gave 5 slices of lemon. Tastewise....err...how great can a cup of honey lemon be??

Meanwhile, I had the Special Mango Mixed Milk with Mandarin Slices (RM6.20) which tasted like diluted mango smoothie with small mango pieces. I was digging for mandarin slices...but where are they???

My Roasted Goose & Cheeky Pork Rice (RM7.50) tasted not too bad although I find the Roasted Goose a bit too oily. I was told that the Cheeky Pork is actually pork neck, the most tender part which was roasted like BBQ style.

I love the pork neck the most....tender and flavourful. However, only 1/3 of the serving of roasted goose was edible as the rest was fats. But the skin part was quite tasty..hehe...I love skin!

Hubby had the Fried Udon with Seafood (RM9.80). He got conned by the picture in the menu with big big prawns. All he could find was prawns slightly bigger than dried shrimp, some dried mussels and squid tentacles.

Hubby spotted the Beef Stew (RM12) in the menu and I knew it's a must order for him. Got to say this is the worst beef stew I ever had. Beef brisket and tendon basically tasteless...I think I can cook better beef stew than this.

Felt so incomplete after the not-so-satisfied dinner and so I requested Hubby to stopby KTZ to pack some tong sui (dessert) home.

Their Wheat Porridge (Mak Chuk in Cantonese) is simply delicious. Cooked with coconut milk, they also put in pieces of sweet potato and yam...so it's a mix of wheat porridge and bubur cha-cha. If not mistaken, it's less than RM2.50 per bowl. Cheap and yummy!

For those interested to try out Sam Chen, here is the address:

No. 44 Jalan SS2/66
47300 Petaling Jaya
Selangor

18 comments:

MeiyeN said...

O_o new eatery @ ss2!!! somemore a roasted goose!!! goodness, wanna go there asap... is hard to find a place with roasted goose!!!!!! thanks for da review! :D

Precious Pea said...

You better make sure you want drumstick part and ask for not so oily parts. The one i had too oily. :(

jason said...

Your rice portion seems too little leh... and yea KTZ! I want peanut porridge :P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Wah the roasted goose and cheeky pork looks really delicious la. And like Jason, I oso want peanut tong sui. :-p

Tummythoz said...

U don't sound too happy with the food there. I'll give it a miss. Thx.

tankiasu said...

Hmm..sounds like yet another overpriced HK cafe to me?

Xiu Long Bao said...

i dapao the sam jeng roast goose once from HK and i dun like it at all...very disappointed indeed cus it is made up of fat, fat and fat.

I like KTZ! The food is affordable n yummy. During my last visit, i ordered 1 fried rice wiv chicken chop, 1 steamed chicken rice, 1 mango loh, 1 fruity loh, 1 shanghai dumplig and 1 woh peng...the bill only came up to around RM30...so cheap!

Someone who is constantly craving said...

looks like some1 has recovered from their system shutdown..sommore food pls!!..goose i haven try..but duck..nothing can beat the london bayswater roast duck..got to try it if you visit..

boo_licious said...

If you want roast goose, you should try the one in Pudu. Really good stuff and goose is imported in from HK so is the technique.

Oooh, I love the bayswater roasted duck - the duck in UK is meatier than the ones here so it tastes so much better. A must stop when I'm in London.

wmw said...

Not so good review from you, guess not on my priority list of places to eat.

tigerfish said...

I like the "jar" they used, for serving the mango soothie. :D
I also made some mango slushie recently.
Cheeky Pork..not the cheeks of the pig meh?

Precious Pea said...

Jason: Actually quite small, especially when I was particularly hungry that day. Dat is why i went to tarbau tong sui.

Lyrical Lemongrass: Cheeky pork not bad.."IF" I ever go again, i will just order cheeky meat.

Tummythoz: Hehe...probably i ordered the wrong stuff gua.

tankiasu: Doesn't seems like overpriced to me...cos i got another review of a HK cafe..lagi worse!! You wait ar..let me korek out the photo from the database.

Xiu Long Bao: Yes wor..i also kena cheated.

Constant Craver: Yes..hehehe..fully recovered. Hmm...London ar....ok..let me ask my hubby when he is bringing me.

Boo: You know hor..so difficult for me to go KL one...cos Hubby don't like going to KL at all, reason traffic jam and not familiar with the road. Sigh...i guess going to London and HK is much easier for me.

Precious Pea said...

wmw: I went also to satisfy my curiousity only.

tigerfish: The bottle (jar) is like those taucu (fermented bean) jar. Next time we should recycle all used bottle to serve guests..haha. I asked them cheeky meat is from cheek issit? The guy told me it's pork neck. Maybe cheeky meat sounds more appealing than Necky meat...lol

Live2Talk said...

Ya, I still remember the Sham Jeng siew ngor full of fats :( but my dad loves it. The other day out of sudden he said he still remember the siew ngor I bought back from Hong Kong.

jason said...

I still remember KTZ ga... lolo *grin grin*

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: Wahh...your dad like the fats ar? My dad was complaining...and lagi more complains after he knew the price.

jason: I also remember, so when are you coming to PJ?

jason said...

Precious Pea: Will be in KL on June la... permanently I hope!

Bito Ng said...

Hey,

Star Papers just reviewed her (A Little Dim Sum Place) on 17 April 2007 , can it on this website http://kuali.com/news/story.asp?file=/2007/4/17/eatingout/17355647&sec=eatingout

Look at her Mango Tong Yuen!!! It was marvelous ! I tried it on that day Star paper review, it tasted yummy!!! Make a trip there!

And also don’t forget to try this Ramen with Har Kao, you will want to re-visit her real soon !!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online