Friday, April 27, 2007

SHANKY RESTAURANT @ SS2 (Cheow Yang area)

After being introduced by wmw to Ang Kee Restaurant last week, I brought Hubby and Papa there last weekend for dinner but unfortunately the place was super packed! As it was quite late and I feeling impatient that night, we decided to go to Shanky Restaurant which is located the same row as Ang Kee and Kayu Nasi Kandar. We used to visit Shanky quite often few years ago and I couldn't recall why we have stopped patronising this place. As I recalled, food here is nice and cheap, so I was quite happy to dine here once again.

It used to be quite crowded during weekends but that night, it was quite empty. Those familiar waitresses were now replaced by Burmese waiters. Luckily, the lady boss is there and I was hoping that the food quality still as good as before. One of my favourite dish there is the Stir Fry Sang Yue (Snakehead) with Ginger and Spring Onion. Yumzz...still turned out the best I ever head, full of wok-hei and the fish slices were smooth and sweet.

The Seng Gua with Beancurd sounded normal...but trust me, the gravy was really good and again, it was full of wok-hei. I believe this is a vegetarian dish as I don't see any meat in it...but it taste wonderful. If I ever go on diet, I won't mind having this everyday...err..ok ok..maybe alternate days.

Am so into the Herbal Chicken nowadays....we ordered half a chicken and sad to say, I think mine is better.. The chicken was steamed way too long, I guess that explained the huge amount of gravy/soup. Soup was great, no doubt about it, flavourful and full of chicken essence, probably that is why the chicken meat tasted bland cos all the flavour was released to the soup. I don't like the meat at all, probably they should renamed this dish as Chicken Herbal Soup instead.

Lastly, a plate of Stir-fry Potato Leaves which once again full of wok-hei. Yumzz...certainly didn't regret coming back again for such a nice meal.

I don't know the price of each dish as my dad volunteered to foot the bill. Total of the 4 dishes plus 3 plates of rice and 3 cups of chinese tea came up to RM52. Not too bad isn't it?

14 comments:

boo_licious said...

Strange but I lost my comment on Ah Tuan Ee! That Sang Yue looks good.

jason said...

What's potato leaves called in cantonese ar? Eh... how come no spicy dish? :)

d3vil said...

ermmmm..........

i dun wanna see foodie pics. i want to see pumpkin pics :(

pls pls pretty pls?

wmw said...

I have not eaten at Shanky's before...usually go to Ang Kee mah. So, which one is better?

tankiasu said...

Wah very cheap indeed! And of course, full of wok hei as you repeatedly emphasized! :P Kekeke...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Very reasonably priced. Can we go there one of these days? I would like to try that yummy looking fish dish.

Precious Pea said...

boo: The Sang Yue dish is as good as it looks.

Jason: It's called Shue Miu (small type) or Farn Shue Yip (the big type). Makan with dad normally no spicy dishes cos he claimed that old people should eat less chilli.

d3vil: LOL! Ok ok...will meet your request soon ok? Pls stay tuned.

wmw: Hard to compare cos both got own special dishes. While Shanky is more to normal Tai Chow dishes, AngKee's dishes are more unique to me.

tankiasu: Yes wor..i never get to cook my food with wok hei though.

Lyrical lemongrass: Can can...foodcrawl at Cheow Yang area? According to wmw, there is a very nice Char Kuey stall in front of Cheow Yang Coffeeshop. The Ham Chim Phen put overnite still very nice one wor..that nite closed though.:(

Tummythoz said...

I remember the curry fish head there very good. It had pineapple in it.

tigerfish said...

it's the wok hei that makes all the food so good! TOo bad can't get wok hei in typical home kitchen...by the time wok hei, need to call ambulance liow ! LOL!

Jackson said...

aiyooo....i miss out so many exciting blog n took me 15 minutes to read all yr food review...nice meeting u n yr hubby yesterday! Bring precious pea to see me next time, ok?

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: Oh yes, i remembered the gravy really thick and creamy. Sedap!

tigerfish: Hahahaha!!! Better settled to non-wok hei home cooked food.

jackson: This shows how frequent you visit my blog lor ;) hint hint. Drop by more often and you don't need to spend 15 mins lor. Anyway...great to meet you too and hope to visit your place with my precious pea and pumpkin soon.

Jackson said...

okok...or next time we should visit fruit orchard with u n yr hubby ! LOL

Paprika said...

Good price indeed! It was very nice meeting you the other night over black pepper chicken and yau fahn! :-)

Precious Pea said...

jackson: Ya ya...he pluck and we eat!

paprika: Nice meeting you too and i hope to visit your restaurant soon.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online