Wednesday, May 16, 2007

BEEF NOODLE AT YANG KEE RESTAURANT

UPDATES (17 May 2007):
I received an email from Hubby's friend (makan gang member) this morning and he corrected some of the facts on Yang Kee Beef noodle as follows:
1. They are not related to Ngau Kee but to the stall in Peel Road or the one behind Kota Raya (Not my fault, Hubby gave me wrong info.)
2. Minced meat is pork not beef (need to clarify at next visit)
3. They are open from 8 a.m. till 6 p.m. or until all sold out.
4. The Stewed Beef Brisket with Radish is called Lor Pak Lam in Cantonese.

My favourite place for a good bowl of beef noodle has got to be from Yang Kee Restaurant, situated at Overseas Union Garden (OUG). I was told that they are related to
Ngau Kee Beef Noodle in Tengkat Tong Shin but personally, I find Yang Kee much better in terms of quality control and of course, cleanliness. In fact, they offer more than beef noodle here as they also serve freshly made-on-the-spot yong tau hoo which are selling like hot cakes. Do expect to wait cos this place is always packed; both eat-ins and takeaways.

I usually go for the egg noodle which tasted really good with the minced beef gravy. Although I prefer noodle soup but when it comes to beef noodle, one should always go for dry to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. As for ordering options, firstly, choose your noodle (kueyteow, egg noodle, vermicelli or lou shue fan) and the size of portion which is priced at RM4.30 for small and RM4.80 for large. Then, choose the part of beef you want (mixed, beef balls, raw-sliced beef, brisket, stomach). If you feel gluttony, you can even order separate bowls of the beef parts.

This is MINE!
Hubby's Lou Shue Fan (Rat Tail Noodles)
This bowl of mixed beef comes with the noodle. The soup was so beefy...yumzz!
We ordered an extra bowl of thinly sliced raw beef which was semi-cooked by the hot piping soup. Very nice and tender! RM4.50 per bowl...quite pricey actually for such a small bowl. Hmm..next time I will bring own Wagyu and just order a bowl of soup...great idea eh?

Ah-Ha, save the best for last.....a must order is their Stewed Brisket with Radish (RM4.50). Gravy was really really good and I normally pour generously onto my noodle. The brisket was soft and tender while the radish absorbed all the beefy taste. I don't mind having only the stewed brisket and plain noodle.

Since only the two of us, we didn't order any Yong Tau Foo so no review on it this time. But do try cos as i remembered, it's quite good too.

Yang Kee is located at:
52 Jalan Hujan Rahmat 2 (same row as Steven's Corner)
Taman OUG
Jalan Klang Lama, Kuala Lumpur
Operating Hours: From Breakfast till Lunch (closed on Monday)

19 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

u mean yang kee and not ngau kee in the address section?? either way yes its looks damn good..specially the thinly sliced beef..ngau kee is definitely not my cup of tea..its damn salty lor!

Precious Pea said...

Oppss..typo error, thanks for pointing it out.

Salty soup? My last visit to Ngau Kee, i was served with sugared soup!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

The beef brisket is calling my name. I'm gonna drag my gang over there soon! I hate traffic there tho. Like gangsta town. lol.

Tummythoz said...

This is one of our fav place too. The chilli paste for d noodles is good.
Err.. how to call beef brisket in Canto? Usually I'll point or if need to, I'll go thru d trouble of desribing the colour & texture. Can b quite embarrasing at times.

Precious Pea said...

lyrical lemongrass: So far, I have only been there during weekends and parking not so much a problem as long as after the market operation hour.

Tummythoz: HongKie called it "Ngau Lam" but with radish it is called "Ngau Bak Lam". Probably the Bak is referred to loBAK?

wmw said...

I want to go! We go together? Hee hee...

team BSG said...

V haven't heard of this shop but definitely a great dish to replenish your I mean his ( or sorry V mean our ) libidos !
...and very tasty too right ?
No wonder this sup daging + gearbox thing is a sellout at pasar malams ( V think the good Malay version is great too maybe cheaper !)

MeiyeN said...

oooo... maybe i should bring fiance here since he's a beef lover... but what about me? any other noodles for me? :p oh by da way, nice pork noodles opposite da road... maybe i can "tahpau" over? lol.....

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Hahaha..my Hubby knew that oledi you must be very interested to go. Can, we go one Saturday after your line dancing?

team bsg: Ehh...i tot spare-parts increase cholesterol only. LOL!

meiyen: Need not worry cos they got Yong Tau Foo and i saw some people order noodle to go with that. But do ask first if the soup is beef stock.

boo_licious said...

quick, organise outing for makan here! Looks very good and I knew yr hubby will sure love the beef brisket since it's his fav dish.

Pink Elle said...

Yum yum that looks good! But that one stalk of vege draped artistically over the noodles is a bit pathetic la :p

Precious Pea said...

boo: Shall this be the next food outing for the luscious sisters???

pink elle: Haha you are rite. Presentation wise sucks big time. But then, i couldn't be bother since everything still go into my stomach anyway. LOL

Jackson said...

aiyo... u n yr husband really a beef lover la! Too bad i cannot take beef!

tigerfish said...

Wooo....the stewed brisket with radish really looks so good! I tried making this in a slow-cooker before but it was never as "creamy" as that.
Those I've had outside eg some Hong Kong cafes, have this dish but it's usually darker in color.

Precious Pea said...

jackson: Oh yes..we loves MOO MOO COW!

tigerfish: I think they put dark soya sauce? I want to try making this at home but can't find the recipe.

boo_licious said...

yeah, pls organise. No wonder I thought the name was familiar, this is the branch of the one on Peel Road. Think Honeystar blogged abt it long ago. Yeah, you must check if it's minced beef or pork. Like Shin Kee, I asked them specifically if it was beef or pork as theirs tasted beefy while the other one I tried was more porky.

tankiasu said...

Not sure bout the food, but the pictures look different. Taken with phone cam this time?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

now i knw which u r talkin abt..it does look very familiar to say the least..but didnt know they serve ngau lam in the 1 in kota raya..

they do serve 1 kick ass of beef slice soup haha

skygirl said...

good work!!thanks!happy new year!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online