Tuesday, May 29, 2007

DAY 1 (PART 1) - HONGKONG/SHENZHEN, 23 MAY

Yes...the long-awaited trip to Hong Kong finally came. It has been one and a half years since I last visited Hong Kong and being the 5th trip to this beautiful country as well as the 1st trip to HK Disneyland, I was pretty excited cos it has been my dream to visit Disneyland. However, this trip also included 2 nights stay in Shenzhen and the itinerary there seems boring, I wasn't quite too happy to waste time there but then again, I guess I shouldn't complain too much since this is a sponsored trip.

Our plane

Was at the airport by 7 a.m.as our flight was at 9.15 a.m. Ever notice how we are deprived of good and affordable food in KLIA?? I suggested to have the breakfast set at Delifrance (do I have a choice?) which consists of half a baguette, scrambled eggs and bacons with a cup of coffee and a cup of orange juice. Priced at RM14, you decide whether it's worth the money or not.

Flight was pleasant and surprisingly, breakfast served was good too. I chose the Mushroom Omelette which came with a nicely done omelette with chicken sausage, hash brown and overcooked Snowpea (sob sob, I was missing Pea so much at that moment). I finished my portion almost immediately. The lady who sat beside me also finished hers as fast as I was. Thumbs up!

Upon arrival, we were driven to Disneyland Hollywood Hotel for high-tea. Wow...you won't believe how excited I was. The cafe is so beautiful and the theme of course, Mickey Mouse. You will see Mickey Mouse everywhere; from wall paper to paintings, chairs to uniforms of the waitresses. And background music was blasting with M.I.C.K.E.Y ..M.O.U.S.E....so cute!

O.M.G!!! We are in Disneyland already!!!!!!
Venue for our High-Tea
So cute!!

However, total disappointment with the food served. As the whole cafe was booked by Public Mutual (there were 7 groups arriving same day) and to cater for a Muslim group, all food served was Malaysianized!! Imagine my face when I saw Nasi Briyani, Kari Mee and Mee Mamak being served!! *JAWS DROPPING* No chicken, no beef, no pork!! All fish!! And am not a big fan of fish!! So I stuffed myself with bread and more breads!!

Nasi Briyani with Ikan Masak Merah
Hubby's plate of Mee Mamak with Sweet & Sour Fish, Fish Balls and Fish Cakes
Desserts
Coffee..........mmm....

After the high-tea, we boarded the coach and head to Shenzhen, China. It took about less than an hour to reach the HK Immigration exit point and from there about 5 mins to Shenzhen Immigration entry point. So near yet I felt so much difference between the two countries. What are the differences? I will tell you as read on, probably not in this post but in later post.Our tour guide from Shenzhen was a funny nice guy named Charles. I had trouble catching what he said cos he talked real fast and ermm...funny accent too. For the first 10 minutes, he was introducing the places we passed by and he kept saying this: "That arrow on your left is called.....and the arrow on your right is called......". I was busy locating the arrow he mentioned and finally realised that he actually meant 'area'. LOL!

First stop was at the Cultural Village for a cultural show which is one of the main attractions in Shenzhen. Ermm.....if not mistaken, there is a story behind the show...something about war, the flower, sun, dragon...I have no clue how to gel it all up. Even Hubby also have no idea what it is all about. Sigh...didn't managed to get cultured from the cultural show.

Dinner was at a restaurant inside the Cultural Village itself called Tian YiGe Restaurant. Sorry to disappoint you guys, this is the only meal (when dine in group) I managed to take photos cos the rest of the people were way too fast in grabbing the food. Food in Shenzhen also quite disappointing so after a while, I just gave up on snapping photos. Don't worry, I will still featured some yummy photos that Hubby and I had on our own.
Roasted Pigeon...not too bad...but 2 birds to be shared among 10 hungry diners seems a bit tooo stingy.
Stir-fry spinach with beancurd? I have no idea what it was and it didn't taste good
Boiled Prawns
From the look of it, I thought it was Sweetened Red Bean Soup....turned out to be Lotus Soup.
Stir-fry Belly Pork with Black Fungus and Onions...not too bad but again, serving too small
Deep Fried Mushrooms...I dunno the name of the mushroom in English but in Cantonese it's called Gai Bei Gu (Drumstick Mushroom)
Here comes a very weird dish....Claypot Pumpkin and Yam. Took a bite, tasted err....funny. It was left untouched.
Two very fishy smelling steamed fish...not nice. Too fishy.
Claypot Green Mustard (Kai Choy) with Fish Paste. The fish paste was added with mandarin orange peel which is one of my province specialty.
After dinner, we were transfered back to our 5-star hotel called Best Western Felicity (my tour guide kept pronouncing it as facility...so i tot i got it wrong). After a warm shower, Hubby and I headed down for supper. I will talk about supper in the next post cos I think that deserves to be in a separate post so that you can focus on it and have a good laugh. So..stay tuned.

TO BE CONTINUED.......


28 comments:

Kavi said...

Bubby, from the look of it can imagine how the food would have tasted.... 100% your cooking is better...this is not appetising at all.

sc said...

agree with kavi, the food dont look tempting at all! sad though, since HK has loads of delicious food :(

Live2Talk said...

Huh mee mamak with fish ball in Disney Cafe???? And the food at Shenzhen really don't look delicious @ all :( Err Public Mutual saving $$$ on food ah?

xiu long bao said...

LoL at the mamak food! Of cus ppl visiting hong kong will wan2 try some hongkie dimsum or specialties lar...Agree dat the food in shenzhen r not dat nice...miss dat bowl of wantan mien loaded wiv big wantans!!!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

They took u all the way to Disneyland on the first day just to serve u makan only ar? aiyoyo.

tankiasu said...

What a shame, eating Msian food in HK. I'm so fed-up with this halal thingy. Grrrrrrr.....

Ok preciouspea, faster post some non-halal food's pics to appease me!!!

Precious Pea said...

Kavi: Exactly!! I could cook much better!

sc: There are good food in HK, so be patient, will post them much later, after i finish with Shenzhen.

live2talk: They actually catered for Public Mutual only, probably they requested to have halal food for all.

xiu long bao: I did try wantan mee that won the Gold Medal with Distinction award but wait yah..much later post.

luscious sista: Yalor..Disneyland nearest to airport and also on the way to Shenzhen. But good also la...if drive us direct to Shenzhen, i would be more miserable. LOL!

Precious Pea said...

tankiasu, be patient la. I try to post it according to 'days' rather than jumping here and there. Probably 2 more posts to go before Hong Kong, that's when great food comes in. In the meantime, do tolerate with Shenzhen first, just like how i tolerated myself with this place.

Coketai said...

OK! Confirmed : The nice Chinese food is not in China! but somewhere else, I always make this comment whenever people ask me about China food...that's why I only surf Malaysia food blog and not China, even though I reside in this place for decade.

LY.Tai

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

actually shenzhen serves awesome and cheap chinese cuisine lor..just need to walk around the bz areas or ask the local cabbies.. we had tai yu tai yuk (big fish and big meat) everynite..cost a quarter of wat u will pay in hk..

Precious Pea said...

coketai: Got to say, their food taste bland whereas Malaysian food much more spice and herbs. But of course, i do believe there are some good places to eat in China, but provided we know where and how to get there. Sadly, can't do that when you travel in group tour. So far..I hear Guangzhou serves the best authentic Chinese food.

Joe: Lucky you, if I were to go on my own, i would do the same. And yes, prices much cheaper than HK, you just wait and see what we had in HK ok? ;)

jason said...

*Jaw dropping as well*
OMG... Feels like wanna smack those food on the HALAL ppl!
Agree with tankiasu, so fed-up of this Halal thingy....

*sorry if I offended anyone here

tigerfish said...

You're back!!! Me too
Aiyo..all the food don't look appetizing to me leh. :O
Quick quick, want to see your Disney pix! The Disneyland I visited at Anaheim was not too bad but it'll be a while before I post it coz my post-vacation syndrome will take a while to clear ;p

MeiyeN said...

O_o nasi briyani @ hk? :D

sobsobz... i wanna go disneyland...

Precious Pea said...

Jason: I forgot to mention, the cafe provide paper plates and plastic fork and spoon just in case they dare not touch their plates. FYI, the cafe do serves pork.

tigerfish: Sorry yah...got to wait a while for me to feature disneyland as it is the last in my itinerary.

meiyen: I wanna go back too. Sobsobz!

mama bok said...

Can't wait for the rest of your trip to be posted..! bummer food wasn't good.. ! but i noticed that if you join group hor.. it's always terrible when it comes to food..!

lightfl said...

I have been waiting so eagerly to read your post on HK trip, but the food looks disappointed...waiting to see more delicious food photos and Disneyland pic too :)

Precious Pea said...

mamabok and lightfl, seems like everyone only keen on the food and Disneyland. Perhaps I should skip Shenzhen?

Pinkelle said...

Fantastic! Keep them coming! :)

Melting Wok said...

PP, don't forget to sink your teeth into one of those humongous delicious big fat juicy shrimp har gows and sweet egg tarts hehe..oh, I missed the home made noodles over at Tsim Sa Chui or Kowloon, I forgot..anyway, have a pleasant trip.
P/S: Will email you when I think of making lemon chicken, thx !! :)) *hugs*

wmw said...

Oh well, usually the food provided by the tour co. are like that, more so, when there are hundreds of participants to cater to. The taste will surely be compromised.

Precious Pea said...

pinkelle: Coming coming...trying to finish off with shenzhen before i talk about highlight of my trip.

Meltng wok: Had Har Gow but didn't eat any egg tarts. :( Never mind, i will get some in Macau this July :)

wmw: Ya lor...can't please everyone also huh?

teckiee said...

love your mickey bling bling ;P

pam said...

stupid... go all the way to HongKong for mamak mee.....


hahahaha!!!

Hafn't read the balance.. tonight....
Nice to see you guys back....

Honey Star said...

Aiyo, u must be dissapointed, all the way to disney and makan nasi briyani & mamak mee.

The lotus soup look kinda thick. I tot its "tong sui" also. :D

jason said...

Highness, I'm sure the cafe serves pork. I was referring to the organiser. Hm.... If can't take pork, better don't visit China :P

Precious Pea said...

teckie: Am so into Disney-mood now.

pam: Harlow! Hope to catch up with you later.

honey star: I was very very disappointed but then i guess being in Disneyland for lousy lunch didn't upset me too much cos i was busy oohh ahhh over the place. LOL

jason: Exactly..i just don't understand, should have a separate trip to elsewhere for the Muslim.

Jackson said...

aiya... i should ask u to "curi" the sugar sachet printed wt disney... hehe.. i collect those! HK food nice?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online