Thursday, May 17, 2007

Western Delight at the roadside..WILLIAMS

What to eat? What to eat? A very tough question I always ask myself and sometimes Hubby whenever we are eating out. It's 5 p.m., finishing work in 30 mins...time to surf some blogs to look for idea. Ah-Ha! Found a perfect place to try, Williams as posted by FriedChillies sounds interesting and I was salivating when I read that this place serves a very good Soft Shell Crabs Fried Rice. Quickly printed the write-up and told Hubby about it, made a phone call to Wong, our Makan Gang and off we went...searching for Williams which is located in Taman Mayang, just a short distance from Lim Kok Wing Institute. Finding the place is quite easy as long as you KEEP YOUR EYES open and read the write-up properly instead of just salivating on the food review. Circling round and round the rows of shophouses but couldn't find it. Turned out I missed this very important paragraph: "in true Malaysian fashion by the side of the road, in a make-shift stall seated on all manner of stools and benches. Williams, as the nameless place". Almost immediately, we found the place, already half packed with hungry patrons and I saw a lady busy attacking her tasty-looking plate of soft shell crabs fried rice. But honesly speaking, i wasn't too impress with the place, especially the smell from nearby drain, or was it from rubbish? everytimg the wind blows. Never mind, I don't care as long as food is good!

Ordering was easy since I already knew what I wanted. To start off with, I ordered a big glass of Ribena Longan (RM6) to share with Hubby. I don't think I can ever finish this drink cos they put in half can of longan and got to say, it tasted so refreshing with the perfect level of sweetness.

Wong ordered a large glass of Fresh Orange Juice (RM5)....full of Vitamin C! Forgot to ask him whether nice or not.

Although I knew what I want to order, I decided to ask the waiter if he can recommend their best dish. He muttered "Sotong BangBang" (pronounced as bank-bank), I was like "Apa?", he replied "Sotong BangBang", I asked "Bang apa?" he repeated again clearly "S O T O N G B A N G B A N G". Aiyerr....turned out to be stuffed sotong which is served together with Spicy Seafood Marinara. Isn't Sotong Sumbat easier for people to understand? Priced at RM25, the portion was HUGE with generous amount of seafood; 3 big juicy mussels, 2 big stuffed sotong aka bang bang and one big piece of fried fish fillet which was covered with tomato paste and could not been seen in the picture below. Spaghetti was cooked just right, tomato sauce was perfect and localised by adding cilipadi but the best was the fish! The fish was fresh and juicy, guess what, the tasty part was actually that layer of flour coated on the fish!! Really worth the price paid.

The Soft Shell Crabs Fried Rice (RM15) was another huge portion, however, it turned out a BIG disappointment. The rice was fried ala Thai Style with lots of lemongrass and bits and pieces of squid. The crabs was so heavily coated with flour, so there were many pieces of 'fried flour' which i took a bite and found nothing inside apart from flour. Even those that I took with the soft shell crabs tasted horrible. Soggy and tasteless. I was expecting it to be like those served in Genki Sushi. So, it was not a surprise that all of us ignored this dish...sigh.

I saw many people having Meat Platter (RM15) and so we ordered a plate to share. We were rather full when we were studying the plate upon served. Again, it's HUGE! There are 2 sausages (yucks! poor quality!) with minced meat gravy (very good) on top, fried chicken (not too bad), lamb with mint sauce (very good but too small portion), salami (love it), hams (err...not bad but prefer salami) and in the middle is a puddle of mashed potato with mushroom sauce (potatoes not mashed properly but still ok).

By the time we finished our dinner, many people were waiting for tables. Business is good, well, not surprise since their food portion is huge and reasonably priced. Will I come back again? I wouldn't mind bringing friends here although Hubby and Wong will certainly shake head.

15 comments:

tigerfish said...

Wah, the marinara sauce so much that cannot see the spaghetti and seafood leh!
Errr...the meat platter rice really did not looks appetizing to me...I would prefer my meat platter rice to come with roasted duck, BBQ pork(char siew), roasted pork belly(siew yok), maybe some roasted chicken.

Looks like only the Ribena Longan was worth it...hee hee...

Pink Elle said...

Looks so yummy!! I want to try it out too! Erm but where's Taman Mayang?! :p

boo_licious said...

My only complaint abt this place was they aren't very service oriented - no recommendations hence I am always lost on what to order when I ate here. Since early, no one ordered any nice dishes also.

Xiu Long Bao said...

Am not impressed wiv this place either. The food presentation is also not dat gud hoh.

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: LOL! I like your platter version too. Can add in suckling pig?

pink elle: Taman Mayang is next to Taman Megah, errr...you know King Crab..somewhere behind there. If you can find your way to Lim Kok Wing, you won't miss this place.

boo: Yalor..I would be lost too if i didn't bring the write-up along cos the guy who took our order looks sleepy and blur blur.

xiu long bao: Yalor..they were like, splish and splash and NAH..EAT!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

The ribena drinks looks so good. The glasses are huge, hor? Food is certainly cheap. Heard so much abt the softshell crab fried rice dish. Now u say not good ar? Oh dear.

wmw said...

Guess, can actually give this a miss....

Precious Pea said...

lyrical lemongrass: Yalor...the rice not good at all. I was really disappointed cos it was the reason for me to try out this place also.

wmw: We go Yang Kee ok?

fried-tomato said...

Not sure if you guys know that, william was the brother (so called branches) of "murni" in ss2 (not sure if i spelled it correctly, as this is how my fren call it) if you want to know where, it is actually behind the KFC and next to the electrical shop.

it is a mamak alike makan place that cook almost anything that you could name it. The only problem that i faced, was they do not have a menu but try ordering something with the word "special". like the mango special,(this was my favorite drinks) nasi goreng special., etc and this is the 1st place mamak, that i know which they served spaghetti.

i like their seafood spaghetti, rm 8 if not mistaken but you should consider sharing with your fren as it is quite big in portion.

Wong said...

The food is so so la. However, it is good experience to have western at the road side or walk way near lonkang with lots of cars passing by.

Precious Pea said...

fried-tomato: Thanks for your info! Passed by Sri Murni tonite..sad to say, i only been there once but it's the crowd that stops me from going. Love their cheese naan. Hmm..maybe i should pay Sri Murni a visit one day.

wong: Haha..ya lor..never try never know.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

the meat platter looks quite unappetising..if it appeared on my plate i also dont know how to react..

the fried rice disappointed to know its crap..bcoz it sounds damn creative lor..

Precious Pea said...

Constant Craver, I was asking my Hubby if he noticed that we are now very fussy with food and upgraded ourselves since i started my food blog. I said if we were to visit Williams a year ago, probably we will think the food not too bad. But now...i want MAX!

UnkaLeong said...

*sighz* I miss Malaysian food. Be still my rumbling tummy we shall be re-united with all things Malaysian soon. Hahahah...

Julian Si said...

Thanks for sharing :-)

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/04/williams-taman-mayang-pj.html

Yummy! What an interesting place!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online