Wednesday, May 09, 2007

WOK HEI @ HARTAMAS SHOPPING CENTRE

After reading Sooyin's post on Wok Hei, am so tempted to try it out since it's located in Hartamas Shopping Centre which is so near to my office. Already knowing what to order, I brought my colleagues to Wok Hei, anticipating a very satisfying lunch. Well, can't go wrong since Boolicious also told me that Wok Hei serves good food. The eatery is quite easy to find, next to Ah Yip Herbal soup and opposite Kimgary. If not mistaken, it's on the 1st floor.

Like I said, since I already knew what are the 'Must Order' items, the ordering process was cut short and this is really crucial as we only have an hour for lunch. First dish that came was the Steamed Egg (RM8) which was silky smooth and tasty. Ms Events loved this dish as this is her first time trying steamed egg and she told us she will try doing it at home. I find it a tad too salty but nevertheless perfect when goes with fluffy white rice.

Sooyin and Boo was raving about this dish: Stir-fry Ladyfingers with Minced Chicken (RM12) and I actually like this dish too. Very unique cos normally people stir-fry ladyfingers with sambal belacan. Good quality of ladyfinders i must say, all young and fiberless! I will try this recipe at home one day to impress Hubby.

I was talking to Boo the night before and she recommended their Lemon Chicken (RM15). Hmm..lemon chicken sounds normal to me though but once again, I totally enjoyed this dish. Two pieces of deboned chicken maryland, deep fried and then topped with tangy lemon sauce. Juicy and appetising! Love it!

Next dish was the Thai-styled Tofu (RM12) which is actually deep-fried tofu drizzled with Thai Chilli Sauce and shredded mangoes, chillies and onions. Nothing special about this dish but still very happy with it.

I was actually putting quite high hopes on this Kung Po Mantis Prawns (RM35) cos of the positive review but then turned out it was the worst dish. The mantis prawns were overly fried...and the Kung Po sauce tasted funny. We don't believe in food wastage so we still whacked the whole plate.

Total bill including tea and rice for 5 pax came up to RM101. Fair price to pay for a very satisfying lunch.


22 comments:

Live2Talk said...

Ya I don like the prawn also. Wrong choice :( Err I think kung po sauce don't go well with prawns ah? Anyway, I went back there one nite for dinner and there were about 10 people waiting for tables! The place is very small to accommodate a big crowd. We should go back again for lunch sometime.

jason said...

Ho, luckily I had lunch oredi before coming in :P

boo_licious said...

The lemon chicken and the ladyfingers is always a must order for both of us. Yup, this place is always full of people.

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: Ya ya...let's go for lunch again. Am eyeing the tom yum soup. Good business means good food!

Jason: So have you wiped your slimy screen clean yet?

boo: Thanks for the recommendation. Their dishes really home-cooked feel and quite reasonably priced. Good to know they are doing well. Any other dishes that you can recommend? Have you tried the Ah Yip Herbal Soup next door?

ML said...

I was SERIOUSLY disappointed with WOK HEI...i stumbled upon sooyin's blog & tried out WOK HEI during the holidays, the lady's finger was only so-so. The claypot tau foo was SO watery. The only thing that was worth any calorie at all was the Kung Po deer meat...
I find it too expensive for food that any 'tai chou' can dish up. Give me AngKee or Shankee or Wang Chew in SS2 anyday...
But hey, thats only my 2 cents worth.. :)

Precious Pea said...

ml: Issit? Probably their chef also away for holiday..haha. It is expensive as compared to 'tai chou' but i find it reasonable for a restaurant in a shopping complex. Hmm....seems like we got the same taste since Angkee, Shanky and Wang Chew got my votes. Also living in SS2? I dine in Wang Chew quite often since just a few steps away from my house.

MeltingWok said...

wahh..I so missed MY style Lemon Chicken..tt look really2+ good !*sob* hm..that reminds me of some good chicken chop too haha..oops, sorry, off track again.

wmw said...

Oh, like that....no missing much? Better to go to my fave Ang Kee, I guess?

jason said...

Erm... wiped oredi, but it's just a matter of time before it gets slimy again LOL

ML said...

I used to stay in ss2 & happen to know when u stay coz u & me go WAY back since primary school...creepy or not le?..even creepier, same Sec school as well wor.. :D

My initials ML still don't ring a bell yet?

Back to food topic of Wok Hei- Shopping complex food granted, but open air not even a proper restaurant & paying nearly 20 bucks for the food, which i really find 3rd rated...but then you could be right- the chef could be on holiday too...

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

it does look kinda normal..certainly cannot c it looks tat good yet..but well its certainly cheaper then rakuzen eh if i drop by plaza damas

Precious Pea said...

melting wok: You can try doing it at home...i got the recipe which I haven't tried myself...you want?

wmw: Speaking of Ang Kee, still haven't blog about my 2nd visit. Soon soon yah.

jason: You invent something like car wiper..so when slimy, it will wipe it automatically. Hahahahaha!

ML: Gosh!!!! KML!!! We also in da same college, remember????? How are you?!?! Should meet up soon OK?

Anyway...to me and my colleagues, Wok Hei very good oledi, don't believe, come work in Plaza Mont Kiara and you know how deprive we are with Chinese Food. But Boolicious just smsed me yesterday nite after her dinner at Wok Hei and she said quality dropped!

Precious Pea said...

Constant Craver: Well...since boo said quality drop...I don't think i will go back again so soon. I wanna try the Ah Yip Herbal Soup next door...i loves soup!

MeiyeN said...

i suddenly found out that few of us reviewed different eateris @ hartamas shopping centre! which floor that wok hei located?

UnkaLeong said...

Haiyo...Bad Idea to visit your blog before lunch. With the rain pouring outside and the chilly temperatures in da office....

Hmm a nice bowl of spicy hot Tom Yum should spice things up :P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Under the circumstances, considering the location, I think the prices are reasonable. Have yet to go anywhere other than the Starbucks in Hartamas Shopping Centre. Pictures look yummy tho. I miss having a good meal in a looooong time.

tigerfish said...

What a name of the restaurant called Wok Hei...

So, are all their dishes cooked to Wok Hei flavor and standard?

I always like lemon chicken, if it's done well. And the Kung Po Prawns looks like Goo Loo Yok :O ...
just that they add dried chili in the dish.

Precious Pea said...

meiyen: Everyone want to explore the unexplored! LOL! Wok Hei is opposite Kimgary...so that should be 1st floor i think.

unkaleong: Aiyooo...i am willing to trade my lunch with yours. Can?

lyrical lemongrass: Aiyoo...don't work too hard, we come out to enjoy a nice dinner soon ok? Some luscious sisters moment ok?

tigerfish: The Kung Po sauce tasted really really weird. And they didn't even sprinkle some cashew nuts...:(

Tummythoz said...

This is totally off topic. Anyone has any suggestion what to do with refrigerated pieces of KFC?

UnkaLeong said...

Tummy..microwave them?

Precious Pea said...

unkaleong, microwave the chicken would makes it more soggy.

Tummythoz, chicken sandwich would be perfect. Just diced the chic into small cubes, sprinked some mixed herbs and mayo. Put in some tomatoes and cucumbers in the sandwich..very very nice.

Anonymous said...

Precious Pea: Anyway...to me and my colleagues, Wok Hei very good oledi, don't believe, come work in Plaza Mont Kiara and you know how deprive we are with Chinese Food. But Boolicious just smsed me yesterday nite after her dinner at Wok Hei and she said quality dropped!

It could have been their assistant chef cooking that night as I asked them concerning their food quality before. They said their chief chef was off!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online