Friday, June 29, 2007

CONQUERING MALACCA - DAY 2 (BREAKFAST & LUNCH)

Wong woke us up at 9 a.m. and told us he and SF already having breakfast at the hotel's coffeeshop. We joined them a short while later. The menu for breakfast look impressive and it comes in various set, you will be spoilt with options; from American to English breakfast, from Chinese porridge to Malay nasi lemak to Indian roti planta. I opted for the American breakfast set that came in a big plate which consists of 2 slices of toasted bread, 2 fried eggs, baked bean, ham, sausages, hash brown, salad, a bottle of yoghurt drink and coffee/tea. Am very satisfied with my set and I couldn't even finish the eggs and hash brown.

A nice meal to start the day
IMMEDIATELY after breakfast, we took a ride around Malacca town searching for food. Just around the corner from our hotel, we spotted Donald & Lily's and immediately I recalled wmw blogged about this during her recent trip to Malacca. This restaurant was featured in Ho Chak (8tv food program) and is famous for its cendol. They also offer nyonya dishes which is available at the dining area upstairs. I saw a sign stating that "Those having only cendols have to sit downstairs". Apparently, they are quite popular and even listed in a Korean travel guide to Malacca cos I spotted this Korean couple at the next table busy reading the guide before deciding what to order.

We ordered a bowl of cendol each. Tasted pretty normal except they put in those tapioca flour balls. Personally, I prefer the cendol I had yesterday as the gula melaka was much flavourful and aromatic as compared to this. Hehehehe..the Korean lady was looking at the cendol in horror. We told her it's made of flour...hehehe....she must have thought worms!

We each ordered a bowl of nyonya laksa. Generous portion of noodle and the curry gravy was thick and creamy. Very 'nyonya' flavours, you know, those ginger flower and daun kesum, thus created a very appetising flavour. Actually, I was very greedy as I was so full from the hotel breakfast, ended up I couldn't finish this bowl of laksa. What a waste!

A plate of rojak to share...ermm....I only took 1 piece cos seriously, am extremely stuffed. No kidding ok! But personally I felt the rojak we had yesterday at the blacklane was much nicer than this.

Donald & Lily is located at:
31, Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock,
formerly known as Heeren Street.
Tel : 06 - 284 8907

*****
We headed back to our hotel to have a short rest before checking out. For our last meal in Malacca, we agreed to have authentic Nyonya food for lunch. WMW and the hotel staff both recommended Ole Sayang in Taman Melaka Raya to us. When we were there, we saw groups after groups of tourist went in for lunch and immediately we walked out cos we have doubts about the food quality and price. We discovered the whole street is full of Nyonya restaurants and so we blindly walked into one called Bayonya. Only one table occupied, somemore by two Caucasian men...aiyooo....concluded sure no good. Anyway, we already sat down so we went ahead to order.

This is my first time trying the Cincaluk (fermented prawn sauce) Omelette (RM6) which surprisingly really good. The aroma from the egg plus the pungent cincalok blended so well. With some added chopped onions, this dish is great to go with rice and white porridge.

When Wong ordered the Assam Squid (RM9.50), none of us expected that it would be served like this. It's Black!!! I thought Assam Prawns would be in fiery red gravy....but it's really ASSAM afterall. The sourish sweet gravy was superb. Assam (tamarind) flavour was strong yet not overpowering. The squid was cooked to perfection; easy to chew yet not too soft nor tough. CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP...the 4 of us gave thumbs up!

Please don't look down on this normal-looking plate of Kangkung Belacan (RM6). It's doesn't taste as ordinary as it seems to be. Fresh, young and again cooked to perfection, and certainly a rare find in KL for such quality.

I was shocked when I saw the price for this dish of Ikan Masak Lemak Nanas (Creamy Curry Fish with Pineapple). This piece of red snapper fish tail was quite big, I thought it would easily cost us RM30 - RM40...surprise surprise, it was only RM16.90! Very lemak (creamy) indeed but slightly too sweet for me. Well, am not a pineapple fan but the 3 boys asked for more rice to go with the gravy.

A very cheap and satisying Nyonya lunch which only amounted to RM51, including 4 dishes, rice and drinks. Definately will come back again in near future.

Bayonya is located at:
164 Taman Melaka Raya

75000 Melaka
Tel: 06-292.2192

*****

We departed Melaka around 1.30 p.m. and took a slow drive home. Too full for another meal in Seremban and yet too early for teatime, Wong suggested that we detour to Serdang for Leong Nga Yong Tau Foo.

We ordered a plate of assorted stuffed veggies that came with stuffed beancurd, brinjal, foochuk, chilli, lady's finger and fish balls which taste pretty ordinary to me. Errr..ever notice how ordinary food can be when you are feeling very full??

The main reason we stopover at Leong Nga was for its famous "Ji Bao Gai" or Paper Wrapped Chicken. Very tasty indeed! According to Wong, the chicken have to be marinated with ginger juice, rose wine, oyster sauce and seasoning before being wrapped and deep fried. I find it unwrapping process was rather messy and oily but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
The Wild Boar curry is their specialty dish but I find it disappointing. The wild boar meat was very tough and I would prefer the dry version. Other than that, the curry gravy with the accompanying potatoes, lady's fingers, brinjals and fried pork skin was quite ok.

The Hakka Char Yuk or Pork Belly cooked with Fermented Beancurd (Nam Yue) was tasty. The gravy would go so well with rice. But no la....too full, no rice for me.

And that completes our last week's Melaka food expedition. I did a summary of what we had on Saturday and here is a summary of what we had on Sunday:

9.15 a.m. Big breakfast at Hotel's coffeehouse
10.15 a.m. Nyonya Laksa at Donald & Lily
12.00 p.m. Nyonya cuisine at Bayonya
3.30 p.m. Leong Nga at Serdang

A very satisfying trip for all of us, and certainly looking forward to the next one which is Ipoh and Tanjung Tualang! Wong, July is it?!?!?!

29 comments:

Tummythoz said...

Ooohh that's how I like my Assam Prawns & Fish Curry!
That's a very good price for nyonya food!

Kenny Mah said...

Oh I miss cincaluk omelettes so much!! Almost forgot about them! Definitely having them the next round I head home... have you tried cincaluk as a dip though... it can be very addictive if you like it. Yumssss...

Xiu Long Bao said...

Oooohhhh....im stuffed by all the food...*blet*
The nyonya food is very reasonably priced. Somemore with all the drooling asam and belacan, makes me feel like having it rite now.

barbie said...

Oh no, I only bought PARKING STAMPS from the first cendol stall that u went to! And I already like the Donald and Lily's cendol, sure to like that one more then, from what u say. Boo-hoo-hoo.... What a waste! :(

M feeling very full right now from reading how much u ate. :p

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i just had leong nga yesterday with a client and a manager..no camera lar..they were smmre discussing about blogging..it seems some of the managers in my firm knows of my blog now..so how to blog about work ar?

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: I find it so cheap and food so yummy. So worth it!

kennymah: I bought a bottle and tried doing the omelette myself. Turned out even better cos I put in lots of cincaluk. But have not tried it as a dip. Heard it taste marvelous with shallots and lime and cili padi. Will try it out soon...mmm....as a dip for fried ikan kembong?

xlb: Nyonya food for lunch today?

barbie: The gula melaka syrup used by the first stall is definately much much better. Somehow, i dunno which gula melaka is of good quality as I bought once which tasted awfully bitter.

NJoe: Aiyah...since they already know about blogging, you should boast about your blog ma and take picture of the food. Well...either continue or change to a new blog.

babe_kl said...

dats a lot of food! seriously if i go with you guys on a crawl, i would be ended up watching you guys eat :p cant even finish my scallops and beef cheeks last nite!

Live2Talk said...

I suspect u and all the makan gang including all floggers are born with a few stomach hidden inside. If not how to consume all those food :O

Neko Hime said...

Wow... if i eat that much i am going to pop!! i have a cat sized tummy onree... :(

boo_licious said...

Looks like u went to the 2 brothers outlet for yong tau foo. That is definitely the better one out of the 3 and I think I know why Wong brought you there too. I love their chee kiok chou - the sauce is so syrupy and yum!

The Cooking Ninja said...

yummy laksa! I'm hungry after looking at all your delicious food.

tigerfish said...

Oi, how come cannot finish breakfast, cannot finish laksa, and say the yong tau foo ordinary (coz you are full)...I'm feeling soooo hungry here and you say this thing can't finish, that can't finish....I want to see your leftovers also cannot arh!

Mama BoK said...

Wow..! i'll say.. you conquered Malacca liao..!

team BSG said...

most mortals will pengsan when they come to your blog. But not us.
We will still ask you for more , and more becoz V are nearly the same ( but not quite )

Wong said...

Try this recipe:
Pour some cincaluk into a bowl, add some slice shallot, add some chili padi, squeeze some lime juice and finally pour some sesame oil. Mix well and serve cold. Guarantee 3 bowls of rice.

wmw said...

I almost pengsan but didn't, so I'm no mere mortal! Muah ha ha....

Precious Pea said...

babe: Aiyooo...never mind, i will train you up.

live2talk: You mean like cow's stomach? LOL!

Neko Hime: Aiyerr..never mind, i train you and babe together.

Boo: Wong also told me this is the better one but sadly didn't have any more space to try the vinegared trotter. Perhaps, next time la.

cooking ninja: :) I also hungry after looking at the photo now.

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: Oppss..don't be angry la...hehehehehehe.

mamabok: Almost!! Will go back again to discover more places to eat.

team BSG: More? Aiyooo, please allow my stomach to rest before I go on foodcrawl again.

Wong: OK OK!! Paul said will try it out soon. I tried making the cincaluk omelette oledi...very nice.

wmw: Hahahaha...we same clan!

jason said...

My friend has been talking about makan at Serdang. Now I know what to start off if I'm there :D

lanatir said...

thank you for patronizing my parents' makan place :)

Precious Pea said...

Jason: Wah...you going on foodcrawl in Serdang soon?

lanatir: Which one if your parent's makan place?

lanatir said...

PPea, Donald and Lily's :)

Precious Pea said...

Lanatir: Your parent own the place or they go there makan?

lanatir said...

PPea, Donald and Lily ARE my parents :)

Precious Pea said...

lanatir: Wahhhh COOOLL!!! More reason to go back to try other stuffs. The man manning the cendol stall is your dad?

lanatir said...

can't see from your pic. my father is sometimes down there but takes turns with the helpers and other relatives

Precious Pea said...

So Lanatir, next time i go Melaka again, i will come ask you for tips on where to eat yah?

lanatir said...

sure :)

jason said...

Donald and Lily's Lanatir's parents??? Wahhh...

PP: Em... not really foodcrawl. Was thinking to go visit a fren there with another fren :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online