Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A DISCOVERED GEM~Cheong Fun @ Macau

After a light breakfast at the hotel, we took a public bus from across the street, heading straight to Macau city. Taking public bus in Macau is so convenient as there are many buses heading to the same place, thus, waiting time is barely 5 minutes. Best thing is, it only cost us HKD3.30 per person per trip (equivalent to ~ RM1.50). Our intention was to revisit the Sui Kow (Dumpling) shop we went during the last trip (those interested, pls email me for address). Unfortunately, a notice was stuck in front of the shop, stating that it will be closed for 2 days. Sigh...

But wait, just few steps away, I saw an entrance to a long alley which lead to some housing area. Right in front of the entrance, I spotted a stall...hmm.....out of curiousity, I went to take a peep.

Once I walked in, I saw many locals having cheong fun (steamed flat rice noodle) and porridge while sitting on the plastic stools. Funny though cos I don't see any tables and after chatting with the lady owner, she told us that table is not allowed cos it's a narrow alley and supposed to be a walkway heading to the housing area. I simple love eating at places where the locals eat. The 3 of us happily sat down and ordered a plate of cheong fun and a bowl of foo chuk pak kor (beancurd sheet and gingko nuts) porridge to share.

I was asked by the lady what sauce I wish to put on the cheong fun. I asked then, what sauce you have? She replied "Sweet, Chilli, Peanut, Sesame, Mustard". Hmmm...so I requested "ALL"! The combination of the sauces produced a very unique taste. The sesame sauce was really fragrant while the mustard created a tinge on the tongue. The cheong fun was good too, soft with slightly 'QQ' texture. The lady boss told us that if we were early, we could have tried her sold-out Siu Mai Cheong Fun (Pork Dumpling with Flat Rice Noodle). Sigh...perhaps next time.

When it comes to Fu Chuk Pak Gor, I always have this combination in sweet syrup form. So I was really curious how it will taste like when cook in savoury porridge style. The beancurd sheet was boiled till dissolved into soya bean liquid. It was really smooth and light, a really good and healthy breakfast. Somehow, I still prefers the sweet version.

The Cheong Fun and Porridge only costs us HKD9. A reasonable price to pay for simple local food. Truly a discovery for us.

More Macau delicacies in my next post...till then!

18 comments:

wmw said...

Oh....cheong fun in a lane, sitting on stools! How fun! - Cheong Fun Fan aka WMW

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

all sauces eh..the boss nvr ask u..siao ar?..hahahaha good stuff..the kai lat (mustard) damn kick 1..

okok..you have been spared from any further requests for food blogging..im getting hungry d..

tigerfish said...

Did the mustard overpower the "sweet, chili, and peanut"...??? Maybe for be I will ask for everything except mustard ;p

Precious Pea said...

wmw: I did thought of you as well as my sis. Both of u, chee cheong fun fans. I think my sis more teruk, she can have ccf for all her meals everyday!

Joe: Well..i asked her which is nice, and she said all also nice. So I guess can't go wrong with having all rite?

tigerfish: The sauces actually goes very well with one another. Perhaps you can omit the mustard but i kinda like it, especially after giving it a good stir to mix all the sauce together. Aiyooo.....hungry now.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Nice combination of colours from the various sauces. hehe. I love CCF too. Can eat everyday wan.

teckiee said...

have to go to macau and eat one. ...haiss :(.. airasia here i come

Jackson said...

That thick fat cheong fun look so good!!! u so lucky!!

boo_licious said...

awww, my fav HK food - cheong fun. Must go plan trip to HK and Macau soon as it looks so irrestible.

Precious Pea said...

luscious sista: Like this I must intro my kakak to you and wmw when she is back from Melb. I think you can form a CCF Club oledi but you three have to fight for Presidency! LOL!

teckie: Got promo now?

jackson: It was very good. *GRIN*

boo: Actually this is so much better than the we we had at B***Y. And they lady owner super friendly too.

jason said...

So exotic! Eating like a Hongkie...:)

xiu long bao said...

okok, pls remember all these good eateries in macau. I must go nxt year! must! must! must!

Eh..the cheong fun plain one ah? no yong tao foos one meh?

Precious Pea said...

Jason: No no...correction. I was in Macau, so it should be eat like a MACANESE!

XLB: Hehe..i got it all jotted down, no worries. Err, those cheong fun with yong tau foo, err..i think can only find in Malaysia.

MeiyeN said...

it's interesting to find "cheecheungfarn" with mustard sauce!

Precious Pea said...

meiyen: Yah, can't find it here though. Maybe we got to buy mustard from the supermarket and add into the chee cheong fun ourself.

Athan said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh,

I have to hate your everytime see your blog, all these Fantastic Food but I can only see......:(


Tell us more on Macau, I like to visit maybe next month. P('')P

Thank you.

A. Chin

God of Food's said...

Do they have yong tau fu in thier cheong fun like us in Malaysia?

Precious Pea said...

athan and god of food's, thanks for dropping by at my blog.

athan, will try my best to blog faster. When going?

god of food: Nope..I don't find any yong tau foo with ccf both in HK and Macau...so i guess we can only find it here.

Kenny Mah said...

Mmm...Fu Chuk Pak Gor. My favourite... wow, it looks like it's one great food adventure after another for you in Macau! :D

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online