Friday, July 27, 2007

MACAU'S LOCAL DELIGHTS

Remember I said there are 2 famous food street in Macau? The first food street was in Taipa Island called Rua da Cunha, today I will talk about Rua da Felicidade, another popular food heaven in Macau city. Here, you can find shops after shops selling local yummies and not forgetting restaurants after restaurants offering seafood, Portugese, Macanese and Chinese food. I have been here both during daytime and nighttime and each gave me a different kind of feelings. It can be pretty quiet during the daytime although most restaurants do open for lunch. But one thing i like visiting here during early morning is that you can find many makeshift hawker stalls selling local delicacies like porridge, cheong fun, noodles and even KOPI-O. My dad was captivated by the strong coffee aroma as we passed an alley but since it was packed, we decided to give it a miss. Meanwhile, the street will be all lighted up and you can feel the liveliness in the air as each restaurant will try to attract passerby to stop by at their shop.

The long street of Rua da Felicidade
Is red official colour for the Portuguese?

Like I said earlier, there are lots of shops selling local food products here and one will not miss the Almond Cookies which I find is an acquired taste. Going through shops after shops, we were forced to sample their cookies, and due to their super friendliness, it was so difficult for us to reject. I was really lucky to see how almond cookies was made on-the-spot. The sifu's hand works like a machine, within minutes, he finished producing one big tray of almond cookies, ready to be baked.

Almond cookies waiting to be baked
The trays of almond cookies will be baked on top of this bin filled with burning charcoal.

Further down the street, I spotted this lady cutting up a giant-sized peanut candy, one of my favourite snack. She told me she is the 2nd generation and her peanut candy is very famous and I will sure regret if I don't try some. True enough, it was really good!

Close-up on the brick of peanut candy

While exploring the shop, I saw some framed photos of the lady boss with some HK TVB artists, the entire cast of a popular TV series ("Return of the Cuckoo") which was shot in Macau. She proudly told us that her shop is famous and one of the oldest in Macau, thus chosen by TVB. Both of us then exchanged comments about the leading actor, Chilam on how cute he is, especially his dimples. *giggle*

A few steps away, a whiff of eggy aroma filled the air. I saw a lady busy making egg rolls right in front of the shop, got to say, a very smart way to attract customers with the nice smell. Immediately, she offered me to try her freshly-made egg rolls...oooo....it just melted the moment I put it into my mouth. She asked me to try making the egg rolls myself and with her guidance, I made 2 odd-shaped rolls.

After we finished walking the food street, we headed to Senado Square as I wanted to get some snacks as souvenirs near the Ruins of St Paul. The road leading up to the Ruins of St Paul is another snacks heaven and you can just sample cookies, jerkies and egg rolls all the way up the slope. This time, I didn't take much photos since I already took a lot during last trip and here are some of the photos taken.

Kam Wah Foh Tui or Chinese Ham which is very pricey delicacy!
Dried Meat...personally, I prefer our Malaysian version
Assorted Egg Rolls
Sale! Sale! Sale! Shopping at Senado Square!
Ruins of St Paul
Lots of Lotus everywhere, found out later that it was Lotus Festival. So beautiful!

That's all about my trip to Macau city. Next post:
Wing Lai Yuen Restaurant (the award winning restaurant I went to in Hung Hom, HK)

27 comments:

The Drool Team said...

Love almond cookies, those looked like they are filled with big chunks of almonds..

Precious Pea said...

Oh yes...this one got lots of chunky almonds. But there is also a version with flatten salted egg yolk and a piece of lard inside. Sadly I bought the wrong version this time. The last time i bought, it was SO DELICIOUS!

babe_kl said...

i loved those almond cookies w/o lard ones, yummyumm

tankiasu said...

Yea red is their official colour. Just like their national football team's jerseys and the Stadthuys in Malacca.

tigerfish said...

Are almond cookies an acquired taste? I love almond cookies so much - esp. those melt-in-the-mouth type. I prefer almond cookies to peanut candies.

Wooo..I see so many different types of egg rolls...have not gone Macau before...need to, some day.

Xiu Long Bao said...

Heard dat macau produces the best almond cookies. Where can i get the salted egg yolk n lard version??? sound interesting!

KampungboyCitygal said...

i love the egg roll wrapped with seaweed.. duno wat is that called..i can just fill my stomach by sampling all the goodies..greedy**

sc said...

wah, the snacks looks so yummy.. *drools*

MeiyeN said...

almond cookies, i love that sooooo sooo much!!!!!! only get to have it during cny.... sobzzz...... i really want it badly now :p you have it at home?

Precious Pea said...

babe: Hehehe..i like with lard and salted egg yolk.

tankiasu: Ohh...i thought so too. Thanks for confirming.

tigerfish: Many people that i know doesn't like almond taste. Some said it tastes like cockroach. Personally I like taking it in nuts form but not almond tea.

Precious Pea said...

xlb: Most shops do have them so you got to ask. Make sure it's with lard cos the one i bought only with salted egg yolk so it's not tasty lor. Best thing is to buy and test it on the spot before getting more. Sad thing is, no sample for this version cos they claimed it's way too pricey if they do that.

kampungboycitygal: Yeah, the one with seaweed not bad. In the middle was filled with meat floss. Very addictive!

sc: :) So nice to go with Kopi-O

meiyen: Oh yes, i have at home, can spare you a box, when?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wahhhh...ahah ur shopping paradise should be in hk lar..not in macau..macau cannot fight.. i miss holidays...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Wah, got chance to try making rolls somemore ar? U must have charmed her with your friendly personality. :-)

wmw said...

So nice of the lady to let you make the egg rolls....Got take pics of you in action, post it mah...with your face censored of cos...hehe the stuff there looks good!

Jackson said...

wa wa wa!! alomnd cookies... wa... so many local delicacies....... wa.. i wan Macau food! Waa..

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: I don't have money for branded stuffs so I just go for HK brand like Giordano, U2, G2000 which is available in Macau for the same price. But this time, i didn't buy a single item of clothing! Hehehe!

My 2 Sistas: The lady super friendly. I rejected her offer but she kept insisting that I give it a try. Got picture taken but hehehee...no la...not on the blog. I show you when i see you.

New Kid on the Blog said...

Wow!!!! Food! Food! Food! Food!

team bsg said...

the peanut candy really looks mean & absolutely macho !

got bring any ah for us tonight ah ? ( u have got mail )

Precious Pea said...

nkotb: Yes yes yes, and more food food food in my coming posts!

team bsg: I am so so sorry as I only just read the email. :(

teckiee said...

the duck meat to changgih.. got like the chop printing on it some more

Kenny Mah said...

That brick of peanut candy? My vision of HEAVEN... *slurps* ;)

The Cooking Ninja said...

You had me drooling over your pics on all the food you have tasted. Lucky you.

jason said...

OMG, look at that peanuts block!!! *going crazy*

MeiyeN said...

omg... really?!!!!!think got to wait till you are back from combodia

Precious Pea said...

Teckie: Huh? What duck meat?

kenny mah: Hahaha..mine too!

cooking ninja: Tissue? Hehehe...yes, am really a lucky glutton.

jason: OH NO!!! Piak piak..wake up wake up!

meiyen: Msn you tomorrow!

Kenny Mah said...

Again: GIANT PEANUT BLOCK = HEAVENLY. Yums... ;)

girl_girl said...

hi...
can i know which shop to purchase the almond cookies,peanut candy and the egg roll?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online