Sunday, July 22, 2007

RESTAURANTE DUMBO @ TAIPA VILLAGE, MACAU

Gosh…time flies. My trip to Macau via AirAsia booked 7 months ago which seems like a long-awaited event finally just flew passed. Although it was just a 3 days/2 nights trip, I got to say the length of stay was just nice, not too overly taxing on my digestion system. Being our 2nd time to Macau, this trip was more like a recap; visiting places for food which we loved so much as well as trying out new places which we didn’t conquer during our last visit in last September.

We arrived in Macau around late evening, as scheduled (who said AirAsia always delay?) Hubby who was in-charged of hotel booking, due to convenience, decided to stay at the same hotel, Best Western Taipa, which is about 5-minute drive from the airport.


After we freshened up, we took a walk to one of the two famous food streets in Macau; Ruo Do Cunha or Macau Gourmet Place Taipa Village. I will talk about the other food street in my coming post. Rua Do Cunha is a great place to dine as well as to shop for yummies to bring home. Here you can find shops after shops selling almond cookies, egg rolls, grilled dried meat, peanut candies, nougats and the like. Walking down the street is quite an experience because each shop will try to attract your attention by offering you samples of all their products. I kinda liked being ‘harassed’ by them ie forcing me to sample their goodies. Sometimes I feel bad especially those who are super friendly so I will still buy at least one packet of goodies from them.

There are lots of eateries here too, offering international cuisine, and of course when you come to Macau, a must try is the Portuguese and Macanese food which are available almost anywhere. Our destination? Restorante Dumbo or Xiao Fei Xiang (Flying Baby Elephant). We dined here twice during last visit and were so impressed, that is why we decided to come back again.
Hubby suggested that apart from the must-order Roasted Quail, we should be more adventurous and order those dishes which we have not tried. After our orders taken, a plate of 3 warm and soft buns was placed in front of us. I simply love spreading butter on warm bread…yummmzz.
The Roasted Quails (Codorniz Assadal Tinto) were served almost immediately. Priced at HKD15 per birds, I got to say this is a steal! The quails were roasted till golden brown while the meat is still juicy. Yummzz…and that is not all. The best thing about the quail is the stuffing!!


The quail is stuffed with crushed garlic and herbs. Oooo…the aroma of the stuffings filled the air when I cut it open.

My dad came up with a very creative way to eat the quail; shred and stuff it into the warm bun!! Indeed very delicious especially when the juices of the quail combines with the garlic stuffing, thus created garlic gravy which is so good when dipped with buns.

Another great discovery; Braised Pig’s Neck (Pesco co de Porco a’Brasa) was our 2nd dish of the night. Pig’s neck is becoming a very popular as it is known to be the most tender part of a pig. Well, the picture says it all….tender and juicy, juicy and tender!

Using El Cerdo’s Ox-Tail Stew as benchmark, I was rather disappointed with their Stewed Ox-Tail with Red Wine (Lingua de Vaca Guisado c/Vinho) as the gravy was slightly on the sweet side. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not sugary but sweetness from the vegetables. I suspect lots of carrots were used to produce such sweet stock. The ox-tail was cooked to perfection, tender and it absorbed the sweetness of the gravy very well. Papa couldn't resist from ordering a bowl of rice to go with the gravy.


Err…is this Steamed Fish Teochew Style? The Codfish Caldeirada Portuguese Style is a popular Portuguese dish which we somehow didn’t quite like it. Generous chunks and chunks of meaty Codfish which I find overly bouncy. I thought it was overcooked but then the texture still very smooth…so I really don’t know if it’s supposed to taste like this. The gravy consists of lots of veggies such as salted veggie (hamchoy), tomato, potatoes, capsicums, carrots and onions. So healthy isn’t it?


To end my meal here, I decided to try their Serradura, a famous Portuguese dessert made of whipped cream and then sprinkled with lots of flavoured bread crumbs. It doesn’t sound appetizing, isn’t it? But believe me, it’s a popular dessert here. Oh yah..need to mention here, their Portuguese Egg Tart is worth a try too.

While walking back to our hotel, we stopped by at Gelatina Mok Yi Kei, a shop specializing in jellies, puddings and ice-creams which I didn’t manage to try last visit. I will sure kick myself if I don’t try it this time and so I tried their famous durian ice-cream.

It's a corner shop and you won't miss it cos they have colourful cups of dessert on display.
One spoonful into my mouth and GOODNESS!! It’s like eating frozen creamy durian flesh!!! Aiiii…sad to say, it puts many of our local durian ice-cream manufacturers to shame.

Overall, it was a satisfying meal. Since it was a late dinner, there weren't anymore space for supper. We decided to turn in early cos I know, it's gonna be a long long day tomorrow.

32 comments:

boo_licious said...

The roasted quails look so good. Yum yum and I also want some of the durian ice cream. I can feel my tummy growling now in hunger for all that yummy stuff.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

eh i remember the flying dumbo!..i went there too..although i dont remember all those fancy dishes that you had..i remember portugese dishes though..

Mama BoK said...

Welcome back..!! can't wait to read the rest of yer adventure..!

Jackson said...

wa.... ivy, i wan roasted quails!! did u da bao for me??

Precious Pea said...

boo: They have roasted pigeon as well too but the price for 1 pigeon is almost the same as 3 quails. But still tempted to try the pigeon, maybe next trip.

NJoe: You were there too?? Took any photos?

mamabok: Thanks...stay tuned yah.

jackson: Da bao not nice...so I ate on your behalf. Hehe.

Xiu Long Bao said...

Just told SC who posted on her Bali trip that I'm determined to visit Bali nxt year...

Now gotta tell u that I have to visit Macau as well. Wait for me...yummy yummy food!

tigerfish said...

The last time I've had qualis was in HK, and that was many many years ago...like when I was still a teenager. Miss eating qualis ;p

May lady luck smile on you. :D

barbie said...

Hi, welcome back! Wow, so many things that looked yummy, slurrrps. I never had much luck with food when I'm overseas though. I shall use your posts as a reference the next time I go Macau!

jason said...

Yer, I want dessert!

babe_kl said...

everything sounds so good yumyum cant wait for the rest of your postings

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Durian ice cream? Mmmmmmm. And stuffed quail, and pig's neck too! What a feast!

Precious Pea said...

xlb: I also plan to visit Bali soon, after peeping (no time to read yet) at SC's post.

tigerfish: I have never tried quail in HK though. One thing for sure, it must be delicious!

barbie: When you travel to Macau, let me know, I can give you the location map.

Luscious lips Jason: Wait dear bro, wait till i blog about the dessert I had. Veli veli nice.

babe: Stay tuned :)

luscious sista: Hehehe...lots more to try but sadly, limited storage place.

MeiyeN said...

wow that's an interesting dessert stall! how i wish there are stalls like this in kl..

wmw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wmw said...

My comment dissapeared...I want to eat the "frozen durian flesh" ice cream! I wanna SCREAMmmmmm..........!

Precious Pea said...

meiyen: All the jellies look so colourful, feel like trying all of them. But then not cheap though. That durian ice cream cost me HKD7 which is quite small cup only.

wmw: Hahaha..your comment didn't disappear. I now moderate the all the comments, aiii....like you sistas said that night, price for being famous. LOL!

Jun said...

durian ice-cream!!!!! *loss for words*

Rasa Malaysia said...

I was going to take a ferry to Macay when I was in Hong Kong recently but my friends frowned upon me and asked me not to go?! So I went shopping instead. ;)

FoodieLianne said...

Thanks Ivy for the tantalising post, just in time for my upcoming trip :-) Btw, how far is Taipa to the mainland do you know ? Am staying in Holiday Inn :-( Also, who is SC ?

Big Boys Oven said...

Walio! So exciting.... please book me to Macau.

UnkaLeong said...

:) Food looks great! Don't let the comments get you down yar ;)

Precious Pea said...

jun: unbelievable isn't it?

rasa malaysia: Why? Macau is nice..good food and great for shopping too. Less crowded than HK. Very nice old buildings, perfect for photo-taking too.

foodielianne: Very near, less than 10 mins drive and need not worry cos all hotel provide shuttle bus to the ferry terminal.

big boys oven: Ermmm....I also wanna book.

unkaleong: Ehh...your picture...hehehe...so cute!!! Thanks. Won't feel down because of those comments cos obviously they kurang ajar and also, i think i know who.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha the last time i was there was 2 yrs ago..nvr take pics lar..no appreciation for food except stuff it in my mouth..

same q..i want more food..where???

sc said...

yum, yum, yum! everything looks so yum! and so funny, to have the best durian ice cream in..macau! hehe

The Drool Team said...

Macau, our next destination!!

jason said...

Fast fast post... waiting to lick the screen :P

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Hahaha...yalor..last time never tot of taking photos..now it became a habit oledi so much so, my dad also know that he must not touch the food till i take photo.

sc: I want to go to Bali!

drool team: Really? When?

Jason: Wait yah...be patient cos nowadays i very busy...so a bit slow. Will try my best to post tonite.

New Kid on the Blog said...

ai yo... have been clicking your site all the time... waiting for you to post leh... finally home!!!

KampungboyCitygal said...

hkd 15 for one bird? i also wana plan a trip there..save money $$$$ haahahaha

Precious Pea said...

nkotb: Pressure pressure. But i will try my best to post at faster rate. I know I have been quite slow lately.

KampungboyCitygal: Yes, HKD15 for one bird. Such a steal!

Ann Kee said...

hey precious!!! any good hotel recommendations in macau????

may i know how much u paid for best western????

Precious Pea said...

Hi Ann,

I stayed in Best Western during both my visits. It's located in Taipa but still very easy to move around as the bus stop is across the road and the hotel also provide shuttle to the city. Can't remember how much we paid but it's around RM200++ depending on which season you go. Ours was low season.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online