Thursday, August 16, 2007

HOMEMADE LOH MAI KAI (Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken)

During my recent trip to Siem Reap, I happened to stumble upon this rice shop selling all kinds of rice and what caught my attention was the milky white glutinous rice. To my delight, it was 100% pure glutinous rice which rarely can find in Malaysia as ours usually mixed with normal white rice by unscrupulous traders in order to maximize profit. So I ended up buying 3kg at only USD1 (RM3.40) per kg. I have no idea what to do with the glutinous rice so I consulted Wong, my Makan Gang member, who once told me he used to stock up his fridge with homemade Loh Mai Kai (steamed glutinous rice with chicken). He offered to help me out and so last Saturday, we embarked on our Loh Mai Kai project.

The night before, I was in-charge of soaking the glutinous rice. According to Wong, it is important to soak the glutinous rice so that it will turn out softer as well as shorten the steaming process.

The dried shitake mushrooms must also be soaked overnight to soften as well as to get rid of its woody smell.

Meanwhile, Wong was in-charge of marinating the chicken with his special recipe which consists of rose wine, ginger juice, sesame oil, fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar and white pepper. For the chicken, we used deboned chicken Maryland which was cut into smaller pieces. We also added in a few pieces of chicken wings upon special request from Hubby.

Other ingredients includes Chinese sausages aka Lap Cheong;
As well as Char Siu aka BBQ Pork bought from the market.

First of all, drain the water from the glutinous rice and steam it for 30 minutes. While waiting, Wong prepared a special mix for the rice which consists of lard (yes, lard as in Pig’s Oil!), oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, soy sauce, ginger juice, pepper and sugar. When the rice is cooked, pour the mixture in and give it a good stir. As you can see, even Hubby offered his help!

While they prepared the rice, I arranged the fillings into the Loh Mai Kai bowl made of aluminium foil which Hubby bought from this cake shop at Sea Park.

When the rice is ready, fill up the bowl with glutinous rice and ready to be steamed for 30 – 40 minutes on high heat.

The end result? See it for yourself! From the look of it, do I need to say more??

39 comments:

babe_kl said...

wow more delish than my version definitely! thanks for the list of secret ingredients ;-)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

are you selling any?? can i buy some of u ar?? haha more then willing to drive down to mt kiara to pick it up in your office..hhehe..

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

SISTA!!! I wan!!! :-(

Xiu Long Bao said...

oopss...malu, u did better lomaikai, mine is another laxy verison...hide my post :p

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh my my..... what a lovely dish. I can say it is one of the best in KL... why? The rice that you had used as there are very pure ones. When can we try one? :)

New Kid on the Blog said...

wow - that's look tempting leh!!!

Precious Pea said...

babe and xiu long bao: Am sure your version taste as good too. :p~~~

NJoe and luscious sista: Sorry la bro and sis, not for sale and not enuff to distribute this time round. Am planning to do another round since I will be going to Phuket end of the month, will grab more glutinous rice from there. Will make sure i save for you both ok?

bigboysoven and nkotb: Thanks for the praises. :) Hehehehe...the chicken was the best...so well marinated! And no added msg - GUARANTEED!

tigerfish said...

Need to say more? Yes!!!
You made so many bowls, selling ah?

I want leh! Long time never eat this type of Loh Mai Kai. It's usually those Loh Mai Kai at HK dim-sum and it's different from this, for sure.

teckiee said...

can pass thru customs ah? rice controlled item wor? but yeahh the rice is pure not like the mixed ones we have

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahah i treat that as a promise..waiting for ur loh mai kai..

mama bok said...

Yums..! thanks for sharing the recipe..! now i've to go find myself.. some glutinous rice..!

wmw said...

Wow! Look at that production line.... :)

Tunku Halim said...

I wonder if glutinous rice is the same as arborio rice which I use to make risotto. Your food looks so yummy!

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: After distributing it around, not many left oledi. But i will do it again soon.

teckie: Errm...dunno about Cambodia but in Thailand, we can bring back 1kg per person. I put it inside the luggage, nobody check also.

NJoe: Yes, provided you pick it up from me at my office. ;)

mamabok: Happy cooking!

wmw: Now you know why i was so tired that day hor?

tunku halim: arborio rice?? Haven' heard of it before. BUt to make risotto, must use short grain rice am i right?

jason said...

What did u do with the rest of them???

Jun said...

oh wow! looks yummy! not a fan of loh mai kai but urs does look tempting ;p btw how can one tell if glutinous rice is mixed w white rice? the only thing i know is white rice looks more translucent and glut rice more opaque and longish, is tht rite?

Tummythoz said...

Boss, not free to work. Busy drooling here.

Pam said...

sis....
i chup one can ar?? hehe!!!

miss u gals... when going Kingcrab *LONG Overdue*

boo_licious said...

Drooling over that pix - aargh!

Precious Pea said...

Jason: I distributed it to my Makan Gang, Max, relative and a few friends. Hehehe.

Jun: You are right, rice are more translucent whereas glutinous is murky milky colour. So it's quite obvious to see if the glutinous rice have been mixed or not.

tummythoz: Hehehehe...boss tak marah ke?

Pam: Opps..yahor, we supposed to go King Crab hor..next Tues??

boo: *Wipe wipe*

barbie said...

Wow, that looks really yummy! I'm not that mad over loh mai kai, thankfully, but my husband loves it. I think I will attempt to cook this using the ingredients u mentioned when I have time. But I'm no cook, so wish me luck! :p Psst... got any more tips ah?

tankiasu said...

*salute salute*

MeiyeN said...

oh my gosh...... looks sooooooo so tasty and delicious! although i don't eat one.. but this one, so tempted to have it right now! well done..

Precious Pea said...

barbie: Hahaha..ya, do try it out and impress your Hubby. Errmm...tips ar...hehehe..get your Hubby to bring you to Thailand or Cambodia for a holiday to get 100% pure glutinous rice. Hehehehe..worry about the cooking part later. ;)

tankiasu: Thank you thank you.

meiyen: Thanks! *grin*

KampungboyCitygal said...

since u make in abundance rite, can share with ur flogger frenz?

k.t.x said...

so, yr luggage was...overweight lor? lol.

gawd! must have lasted u guys at least a week's supply of lohmaikai!!! color looks really appetizing man!

jason said...

Eh, how come didn't distribute to us geh?? *cry*

Athan 串门子阿兄 said...

If you mix some choped dried Shrimp (Ha Mia) to the glutinus rice will increase the flavor :D

So tasty!!! Sista!

Tummythoz said...

Just remembered. U got indigestion prob, rite? Pls lemme share your pain next time. 3 bowls pls.

Rasa Malaysia said...

OMG, now I need to make my own lo mai kai. :)

:: Nicole :: said...

wah! me and my hubby's favorite food!! *drooling*

Shirley Khor said...

Mm~the homemade loh mai kai looks really good :p" although im not a big fan of loh mai kao, it looks so tenpted that i feel like sinking my teeth into it

~Christine~Leng said...

One word ~ "geng!" Looks so delicious! I'm gonna faint due to dehydration as a result from over-drooling! haha.. good job!

Precious Pea said...

kampungboycitygal & Jason: Next round yah..hehehe....maybe potluck? I bring loh mai kai and stuff you guys up! LOL!

k.t.x: Amazingly, my luggage can fit in a dozen more kilos of glutinous rice but then I dunno the rules in Cambodia. I know in Thai is limited to 1kg per pax.

athan: Thanks for the tips! I guess the dried shrimp will also add some sweetness to the loh mai kai too.

tummythoz: Wahhh!!!!! You got such good memory leh. Yalor, the symptoms of indigestion all showing on my face oledi. :(

rasa malaysia: Great! Yours sure look very yummy ..can imagine oledi.

nicole: I suggest you should make some to impress your hubby. :)

shirley: Your baking skill also not bad. Ehh..Aussie glutinous rice also not bad one wor...this weekend project??

Christine: Quick quick!! Someone bring Christine some water!!!! SPLASH!! or would you prefer the Loh Mai Kai itself?? Hahahahahaha!

Jackson said...

yooo...i guess im late...but in case, any leftover? hehe

The Cooking Ninja said...

wah ... so delicious. Here there is no chinese sausages and no char siew. :( Your Loh mai kai very delicious looking. Wish you can pass some over to me. :(

fatboybakes said...

were you making for some function or what? that looks like a LOT of loh mai kai....and it looks divine. how come i'm never recipient for anything ah, boo's cupcakes, your loh mai kai.... etc etc...

Jen said...

Hi, chanced upon yr loh mai kai whilst looking for loh mai farn. It certainly looks yum!!

Niz said...

Stumble upon this... what do u suggest i use as i am a muslin girl.. no lard.. no pork.. no char siew.. no ch sausage...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online