Monday, August 06, 2007

HONG KEE DIM SUM RESTAURANT @ D'SARA JAYA

UPDATED on 13 October 2008
I have been raving about this place since its opening. But as the crowd grew bigger and bigger during the weekends, I have abandoned this place till yesterday. There used to be a long list of must-order items but I think I will scrap it all off my list from now on, ok, I don't even think I will go back. The much-raved about Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan (Glutinous Rice) was crap. Portion smaller and now served using the Loh Mai Kai steel bowl. Lack of aroma and taste. Bad. Prawn dumplings (har gau) was bad too. The prawns were oversteamed hence shrunk and the skin and fillings separated when I tried to lift it up with my chopsticks. The same happened to other steamed dimsum too. Only the Siu Mai (pork dumpling) still big and juicy. Now, they need to do something about the quality, otherwise more people will bid them farewell just like me. Bah!!!

**********

Hong Kee, a newly opened dim sum place in Damansara Jaya is my current favourite place for breakfast during the weekends. Especially packed after 9.30 a.m, I have been frequenting this place every Saturday, 5 weeks in a row. So much so, my ravings about this place has attracted my flogger sistas; namely Boolicious, WMW and Lyrical Lemongrass to visit this place twice for the past two Saturdays. Oopss...not forgetting, UnkaLeong who is back for a 1-week holiday also joined us last Saturday and according to him, this is his 3rd time visiting this shop. Wow...another fan! LOL!

What is so special about this place? It's because they serve my favourite "Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan" in which the glutinous rice was stir-fry with generous amount of chinese sausages, dried shrimps, waxed meat and strips of egg omelette. So aromatic and you can see the rice was fried till perfection! Grains by grains and not too oily. Am glad that I didn't dissappoint my sistas with my ravings. Hahaha..in fact, they started to rave about it now. Oh yah..please note that the Loh Mai Fan is only available during weekends!

The rest of the dim sums here are not too bad, but of course, some are memorable and some are forgettable. So, here are the collection of dim sums which I have tried over my past 5 visits:

Cheong Fun with BBQ Meat: Quite smooth but the sambal lack of the ommpphh factor. Would prefer it more spicy.

Char Siu Sou aka BBQ Pork Pastry...I kinda like the pastry; sweet, flaky and full of sesame seeds. The fillings was not too bad either.

Prawn dumpling aka Har Gau which we all don't quite like due to the thickness of the skin. Taste wise, very very normal which I think we can skip to allow our tummy to accommodate more of the Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan..hehehe!

Fu Chuk Roll..basically the pork fillings were wrapped with beancurd sheet, the fried and steamed with thai chilli sauce. Err......not a fan of this although I saw my dad and Hubby enjoying it.

Yummss...Stir Fry Radish Cake which is not too bad. The texture of the radish cake was just nice, not too soft not hard. I especially love it when it's loaded with lots of chives, beansprouts and lots of crunchy preserved radish (choy bou).

The Loh Mai Kai is Hubby's favourite. Steamed till moist and soft, this plate is very well recommended! But errmm..I still prefer my Sang Chow Loh Mai Fan.
Stuffed Brinjals which is my dad and hubby's favourite. Got to admit, it's better than most Yong Tau Foo place. I enjoyed eating the fish paste as it got the homemade feel, just like how my mum used to make it; bouncy and full of fish flavour.

The Siu Mai aka Pork Dumpling is our must order whenever we go for Dim Sum. The Siu Mai here is very satisfying as each piece is so meaty.

My dad's passion: Steamed Fish Paste which I kind of like it too. Good quality I must say, bouncy and sweet. Without fail, we always order at least 3 servings of this.

This is quite unique, Fried Fish Paste coated with Almond Flakes. And surprise, there is a small portion of salted egg yolk right in the middle. Tastewise, something unusual and not too bad. I think my dad will also like this.

Ohhh...Spinach Dumpling got the sistas' votes. The pork and prawn fillings were stuffed into spinach-based skin and steamed to perfection. Just like the earlier Siu Mai, each bite was so meaty. Love it!

I have no idea what it's called and tasted like errr...normal dumpling.

Another type of steamed dumpling with yellow skin. Fillings exactly the same as Siu Mai, probably they just make it into another shape or colour to create more variety.

This fried stuff is like spring rolls with some soft crispy strips at the side. Again, don't know what it's called and don't know what it's made from. You must dip it with mayo and I find it quite nice.

Egg tarts was disappointing. There is one layer of uncooked flour in between the dough and the egg custard. A big no-no to the sistas.

Again with the same pork and prawn fillings, this time it is wrapped with paper-thin egg crepe and then steamed. Quite good.

Phew, lastly the Yam Puffs which I don't like cos the skin was not fluffy at all. One word, "Forgettable".

I think I missed a few photos cos I remember taking photos of the Char Siu Bao and few other items but anyway, you can get those review from my sistas' post at:

1) Boolicious
2) WMW
3) Lyrical Lemongrass

Hong Kee Tim Sum Restaurant is located at:
No 18 & 20, Jalan SS22/25
Damansara Jaya
47400 Petaling Jaya.
Tel: 012-6069787
Opening hours: 7.00am to 3.00pm daily.


38 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Sista...good job!! Such detailed description some more!! hehe. So...shall we go there again soon?? LOL.

Jackson said...

i love stuffed brinjal too...

UnkaLeong said...

Hahah...synchronized blogging? ROFL :)

Precious Pea said...

luscious sista: Anytime, just give me a call yah!

jackson: Then you must try it at this place.

unkaleong: Hey! Hehehe..ya lor..the power of the SISTAS! LOL! See you next month yah. That reminds me to claim 'our' photo from lemongrass.

fatboybakes said...

aiya, why never call me one. sulk.

Xiu Long Bao said...

where is this place? I only noe KDU in damansara jaya area. Is it near there??? I wan to try the lo mai fan !

tankiasu said...

Nice...let me check them out and see whether this is a good as Rest. Kam Hin in Kuchai or not.

Precious Pea said...

fbb: Oppss!!! Err...we can go again one Saturday, am sure my sistas won't mind at all. How about on the 17th Aug, 8.30 a.m.?

xiu long bao: You know those shops around Atria? This is the same row as Domino's but at the other end. Won't miss cos this shop is quite big. Next to Healing Pets, where my Pumpkin got cured!

wmw said...

Wah! Sistas' Power, we posted at the same time wor...hehehe ;o)

Live2Talk said...

Eh the almond flakes with salted egg dim sum looks delicious. Err u can get up so early on Sat ah? For me, by the time I get up the shop already close :O

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Hehehee....the irreSISTAble 4 ma.

Kenny Mah said...

Wah, more dim sum! You "sistas" really making us all hanker for dim sum only... but the weekend is a week away still. Haiya...

Precious Pea said...

kenny, no need wait till weekend. It's open at 7 a.m., can still go for breakfast before heading to work. Hehehe...a bit ambitious though. OH YAH, loh mai fan only available during the weekends!

team bsg said...

now that 4 superstars have said yes to this place must really be good ! ( the rice thing looks really different and we can smell it from the keyboard must be a new invention )

k.t.x said...

it is wayyy past dinner time and i swear my hunger was so accentuated by yr posting....lol...damn.

oh, u all senyap senyap pergi huh? lol

KampungboyCitygal said...

arghhhh..am so hungry..the sang chao lo mai fan looks reli good..

New Kid on the Blog said...

wow - the egg tart, the egg tart ... I like the egg tart... The Lo Mai Kai looks good...

Precious Pea said...

Team BSG: Approved! But I got a feedback from TanKiasu that the quality not so good during the weedays and also the Loh Mai Fan only available during the weekends.

k.t.x: Tak ada senyap senyap la..hehe....discover good food must inform my sistas first.

KampungboyCitygal: Yumzz...it is very good...must go try yah.

Mark said...

Wow! delicious pictures... must go and try!

k.t.x said...

i m not noe of yr "sistas" meh??? lol

Precious Pea said...

mark: Thanks! Go Go Go!

k.t.x: LOL!!!!! OMG!! I would need to check with my sistas if you could join us. You saw how we 4 talk that nite...not scare ar?

Precious Pea said...

nkotb: This egg tart no good although look can be so deceiving. Hehehe.

Big Boys Oven said...

They look so lovely, it is must try.

tigerfish said...

3rd time I see the loh mai. First in WMW, then in lyrical lemongrass, than now here. 3 times tempting me!!!!

MeiyeN said...

omg, looks like i must try this place since you gals raved so much about it ;)

Athan said...

eeerhm, I imagining the Scene that all of you taking photo of the Dim Sum, while all others are "eating" Dim Sum.

Sure they think you are spy from other restaurant.

N I found out all the picture taken very beatiful, especially WMW one, using Handphone or camera?

jason said...

Another dim sum review??? *going crazy*

teckiee said...

sang chow loh mai fan yes yes sang chow loh mai fan sat sat sang chow loh mai fan yes yes ...huahuahua

New Kid on the Blog said...

choi!!! ngak yan keh!!! tot tasty egg tart...

Precious Pea said...

big boys oven and Meiyen: Remember yah, the Loh Mai Fan only available during the weekends.

athan: LOL! You are right, many people staring at us. And usually the dim sums were pass around so by the time we start eating, all very cold oledi. We enjoyed it nonetheless. :) Ohh...wmw used her digital camera.

jason: Infected with Dim Sum Virus oledi?

teckie: OH NO! Teckie confirmed infected!!!

nkotb: Well...at least the appearance can score some marks. Hehehe!

boo_licious said...

everytime we go here, sure got something new to try! I like the fried "unagi" they had last week. Very crispy esp the ends.

teckiee said...

remind me to get the egg tart also ah

Yi May said...

I love the loh mai fun! taste like yong chao fried rice!

and i love visiting your blog!

Precious Pea said...

yi may: Thank you for your continuous support and do look forward to your comments.

Anonymous said...

"P.R./Respeto pa rin Huwag hong daanin sa lakas,No Po Kee Restaurant&Cathay Pacific exploitation."Guidancecounselor fear of no mercy.

Anonymous said...

Since this place has gone downhill, where is the best place for dim sum now?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to share with you my experience after reading your blog.

I went there for lunch during the weekend, the crowd wasn't as big as mentioned in your blog, there were still empty tables.

The food was ok, but here is the interesting thing.

I found a (curly) hair on the 'siew mai', showed it to the cashier/manager and she apologised and replaced it.

Then, on my first bite of the replaced 'siew mai', I saw another hair! Again I showed it to the cashier/manager, she asked me to change to something else, which I declined since I have practically lost all my appetite.

I tried to complete the remaining of the food, and I found another curly one on the 'siew mai' like but with crab stick.

I got so fed up, I told the cashier to cancel all my orders.

Before we left, Hong Kee Dim Sum dared to charge me for the food, without hair. I asked them why should I pay with their quality of food. They insisted, fearing retaliation from the workers, I paid and left.

For those planning to go to this place, be prepared for a hairy meal. You have been warned.

Precious Pea said...

Dear Anonymous,

It is sad to hear such a nice dim sum place (it really used to be) could turn out like this. I didn't enjoy my dining experience during my last visit 2 years ago, food no longer as tasty, i guess that is why it has lesser crowd now. Couldn't believe how unhygienic and dirty their food is, really gross.

Anyway, thanks for leaving a comment here.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online