Monday, August 13, 2007

MUN WAH HOKKIEN MEE @ Jalan Maharajalela

After overdosing myself with Yabbies at Max! Kitchen (a month ago), Hubby and I together with my Makan Gang and Max went for supper at Mun Wah Hokkien Mee which is located at Jalan Maharajalela, the same row with Cafe-Cafe. According to Wong, this restaurant has been around for quite some time and very crowded during supper. True enough, there was a huge crowd in front of the shop when we arrived.

I only took a small bowl of their signature Hokkien noodle cos I was still stuffed from my dinner at Max. Tastewise, it was good but I guess I was very unlucky to accidentally popped 3 pieces of pork liver into my mouth. The place we sat was dark, the noodle was dark and the liver was even darker. From the picture below, can you count how many slices of pork liver. Heaps right?? Well, the guys enjoyed it very much though and nowadays, you can rarely find Hokkien Noodle with Pork Liver, guess I shouldn't complain huh?

The Loh Mee is actually fat yellow noodle (the same used for Hokkien noodle) cooked with eggy stock. Quite bland when eaten on its own but after a spoonful of black vinegar....yum yum yum....APPETISING!

While I find the noodles pretty average, I was surprised that they have very good snacks. Wong ordered his favourite fried baby squid which was one of the best I have eaten so far. The Squid was very lightly coated with batter and then deep-fried till golden yellow. Please note, it's golden yellow and not golden brown. Biting into the batter is like eating tempura, crispy & fluffy while the baby squid was cooked just at the right texture. I like this dish very very much! Look at all those tentacles...yumyumyum!

Lastly, the fried fish paste also worth trying. The homemade fish paste was flatten and made into square-shape, then deep fried until the outer layer formed a slice of crispy golden yellow skin. Very nicely done as it was not too dry nor oily.

Mun Wah Hokkien Mee is located at:
55, Jalan Maharajalela
50150 KL

21 comments:

tankiasu said...

Oh I love pork livers! *slurp slurp*

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

shiok shiok shiok!!.. i was tempted to go there after my dinner at cafe cafe way b4 i started blogging.. but i thought i didnt want to wash down my foie gras with hokkien mee..i think i should have la!

Precious Pea said...

tankiasu: Then you should try. Although I don't like pork liver, from one bite i know the liver was cooked to perfection. But still cannot accept the taste la.

NJoe: Hahaha...no ma, it should be, foie gras to layer your tummy for the lard-laden Hokkien Mee.

Big Boys Oven said...

I find this place rather average and also a bit expensive compare to some places.

New Kid on the Blog said...

yo... the tai lok mee!!! it's been ages didn't taste it already!!! can't find a good one in Penang...

tigerfish said...

In Singapore, it's the opposite. The hokkien mee is white while loh mee is black. hmmm....

boo_licious said...

That baby squid looks so yummy, must make a trip here just for this one evening. Thxs for that tip.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

sotong looks good. must try that the next time. it's just a stone's throw away from my office somemore.

mama bok said...

I love pork liver..!! give it to me .. anytime...!

xiu long bao said...

saw this hokkien mee stall when i went for dinner @ cafe cafe. Didn't noe that it is really dat gud! The portion of the food @ cafe cafe was so small dat csb asked me if we shud go for supper there rite after the posh dinner...haha

Precious Pea said...

big boys oven: Got to agree the noodles on average but the squid is good enuff reason for me to return. In terms of price, not sure, around RM50 if not mistaken.

nkotb: I remembered my mum used to cook this noodle with sweet ikan bilis stock and put in lots of lala, chinese cabbage, squid and prawns. Yummzz....miss that so much.

tigerfish: Hahaha..issit?? I still prefers the black one, tastier!

boo: No prob! Hope you like it too.

lyrical lemongrass: I don't think they open for lunch. Hmmm..let me ask Wong.

mamabok: Ok, you can have all of my share. LOL!

xlb: Noodles on average, do try the squid. Yumz! Oh, remember to tell them to skip the liver if you don't like them.

wmw said...

Your Makan Gang really terror....live up to its name! Hee hee...

Jackson said...

hey... i heard that their food is very expensive. Is that true?

New Kid on the Blog said...

ai ya ya... not a good thing to read food blog at this hour!! hungry liao la... and me don't eat supper!!!

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Huh? Terror? In what sense?

jackson: The bill if not mistaken was about RM50 for 2 noodles and 2 snacks and tea. Expensive or not, i think it depends on whether the dish quality is worth that price or not lor.

nkotb: Hehehe...then go sleep early! Can eat in your dream...:)

jason said...

The Loh mee looks kinda watery.

:: Nicole :: said...

that's my favorite place for hokkien mee ever since er... years ago? i was there on monday.. hehe.. anyway i think the price for 1 person hokkien mee is about RM5.50 BUT it's worth it :)

Precious Pea said...

Jason: Loh Mee supposed to be watery. I guess this one is not starchy enuff! Errr...that means watery hor?? Aiyooo..so dizzy after my cough syrup, don't even know what am i talking here.

nicole: RM5.50 is definitely reasonable with the amount of meat and liver the put inside. That day I had the worst hokkien me in ss2 (no name mention) and it costs me RM7 for a LUMP of noodle. Bluekk!

James Vi said...

i went to Max Litc on monday together with my ex-MD and a client from Hong Kong. We order the unagi, lamb, and a bottle of french wine, which highly recommended by Max with a 'special price". Thanks to Max...

Both like lamb very very much...and my ex-MD saying that he myst bring the family there.

James

Sumptuous said...

I love this place! sinful pork lard and the tasty pork liver... salivating now!

Haruto said...

asd

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online