Wednesday, August 29, 2007

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH WHITE ASPARAGUS?

UPDATES!!! (1 June 2009)
Max has been relocated to:
Lot No. 32 Jalan Jati
Off Jalan Bukit Bintang
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel. No: 603 - 2142.9720
Opens daily from 11.00 a.m. till 11.00 p.m.
-----------------------------
As I posted in my earlier post, Hubby bought home a bunch of white asparagus from Japan. Not knowing what to do with it, we kept it in the fridge for 3 days and finally I decided that we should eat it before it’s rotten. It would be such a waste to have it stir-fry with sambal belacan. So what should I do with it? Ah-Ha! I got a brilliant idea…bring it over for Max to cook it!


So off we went for dinner at Max! Kitchen yesterday with the bunch of white asparagus in my bag. We ordered a main dish each while we let Max decides on our appetizer, or rather, to surprise us. First of all, this bowl of rich and full of goodness mushroom soup is not in the menu. But since he got an order for a table of 8, so we were lucky to sample it too. You just won’t be able to imagine the aroma of the mushroom soup when it was served. The aroma was so garlicky and it looks so appetizing with some sautéed mushrooms and garlics sprinkled on top. Without wasting my time, I quickly snapped a few photos as I couldn’t wait putting a spoonful of it into my mouth. MMmmmm….delicious! We ended up requesting an extra serving of bread to dip into the soup….mmmmmm…….delicious!

I thought Hubby would go for beef or lamb so I was quite surprised when he ordered the Yellow Fin Tuna. I am not a fan of fish, especially cooked tuna so I didn’t pick on his plate.

I was struggling between the Wagyu Beef Cheek and the Lamb Cutlets. Finally, the Lamb won. As expected, the lamb cutlets were juicy and tender. Instead of the normal sautéed pea sprouts, Max replaced it with pickled brinjals. I simply love the mint sauce which goes so so well with the lamb.
You must be wondering what Max did to the white asparagus right? Actually he whipped up an appetizer using the white asparagus. Hehehe..I purposely put this photo last to stir your curiousity. Tada……presenting the sautéed white asparagus, accompanied by 4 huge succulent scallops and ferocious looking Yabbies!! My attention was diverted from the white asparagus as I was too busy enjoying the Yabbies. Ok Ok, back to the white asparagus. The texture was a bit too old and the stem more fiber, probably cos it was kept in the fridge too long. Tastewise, it’s sweeter than their ogre-green cousin minus the bitterness. Max’s creation was simply brilliant!

Now, what should I do with the 2 packets of frozen Hotate???

19 comments:

New Kid on the Blog said...

white asparagus is good to cook as soup. i've tried it once in one of the fine dining restaurant in Rasa Sayang Penang. it was good and yummy. unfortunately didn't take any picture of that....

boo_licious said...

Cool! Usually white asparagus is cooked like how Max does it. I guess u can ask him what to do with the Hotate?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahah wat a good reason...go and ask max!.. my mom uses it to stir fry with mix veges..or like boo say..go back to max and ask lar..kekeke...i want to eat lamb...

babe_kl said...

aisay, i was having dinner next door to max yday!!!! my dinner is totally a bad experience! grrr...

Xiu Long Bao said...

the frozen hotate ah? I will share if with u, deal?

Precious Pea said...

nkotb: Issit? Ok, will be on the lookout for white asparagus soup. Thanks for the recommendation.

boo: Good idea!!!!

NJoe: Hmm...I scare if i overcooked it then a waste lor. Ok, shall leave it to the expert to deal with it. Lamb?? Hehehe...go satisfy your craving tonite.

babe: You were at next door yesterday? The kopitiam? Aiyoooo...again we were so close yet so far.

cookies_cream said...

White asparagus~! You have such a good hubby to bring back soo banyak goodies from Japan~! I think you had countless times visiting Max! adi right? :'( I wish to go there 1 day when I'm loaded...teehee~

Big Boys Oven said...

Great food always make you wonder! Hotate....panfried, braised, chowder.......? but you got plenty of them there, so you can try them in many ways....lol

Precious Pea said...

xlb: You cook for me, i share with you, deal? But condition is, it must be sedap. Deal?

big boys oven: Hotate Chowder sounds yummy...got recipe? Hmm...wonder if Wong Jau Hotate (Chinese Yellow Wine) is nice.

team bsg said...

u got people to bring them to u from Japan then got terrific gourmant to cook for u suppose only thing missing is some more authentic original real gluttons (other than yourself) like ( ah errr u know who 4 the grand finale)! all for under RM 150++ per team make sure ah

ling239 said...

din know mushroom soup can be so exciting ~ ^_^
i love mushrooms....

UnkaLeong said...

Hotate? Keep in fridge wait for me to come back. Take me to Max and we have dinner there? Good Idea? Yes? ;)

New Kid on the Blog said...

no problem... it's my pleasure... oh ya, forgot to add on one more thing... the last I went in Rasa Sayang Penang was a Mediterranean cuisine.

The Cooking Ninja said...

Use a vegetable peeler, peel away the bottom hard outside. Cook it in a pot of hot water. Once cooked, drain it off. You can eat it cold or warm with some vinaigrette over it or mayo.

~Christine~Leng said...

the mushroom soup is driving me hungry right away. Love thick and creamy mushroom soup. Urs with garlic some more!!! Oh. must be real real good! Wish I could taste those.
What a good idea to bring ur asparagus along... Nicely cooked :)
Em.. may I know where's this place ya??

wmw said...

Wah! I want that mushroom soup! I'm sure you already know where you can take the Hotate to, hee hee...

Precious Pea said...

Team BSG: I need someone to bring more back for me, how ar? RM150 per team sure can, problem only will your tummy be stuffed or not since it's divided by 4. Hehe!

ling239: I am quite amazed with the soup too.

unkaleong: Hmmm....i will consider if you tarbau for me the pig trotter's with hamchoy and egg. Deal?

nkotb: I see, will keep it in my little notebook. :)

cooking ninja: Thanks for sharing the recipe! Sounds simple and nice.

Christine: Oh yes, the aroma from the soup when served was absolutely wonderful. Max! Kitchen is at Tengkat Tong Shin.

wmw: Hehehe...where else? Max lor!

Precious Pea said...

cookies_cream: Max is a friend to us oledi and we enjoyed dining there cos food is good. Do try it soon.

Jackson said...

*fainted*..... MAX again? i wan to complain! How come ppl so rich, non-stop of MAX and travel every week!!! Y not me!!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online