Thursday, September 27, 2007

DIN TAI FUNG @ THE GARDENS

I did something really crazy yesterday. Something that I have not done before but would love to do again in near future. What did I do? Well, you see, a few days ago, I received this brochure from Isetan and in conjunction with the opening of their new outlet in The Gardens, there are a few items (with limited numbers) being put up for sale at a very special price. What caught my attention was the LeSportSac tote selling at RM133, limited to 1 unit per customer and only 50 pieces up for grab! Since Robinsons is also opening up yesterday, I actually took half day off (wanted to take the whole day off but I had a morning meeting) from work to go shopping! Many thanks to WMW, who was kind enough to accompany me to shop but ended up buying more items than me. If you are curious whether I managed to grab the LeSportSac tote, the answer is “no” cos it was all sold out!! WMW and I were both so disappointed.

The best way to cure our disappointment would, of course, be food… glorious food! Most of the eateries were not ready for business yet, so that didn’t leave us with much choice but to try Din Tai Fung Restaurant originated from Taiwan, the first outlet in Malaysia. For your information, they also have outlets in Japan, Indonesia, China, USA, Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea and Australia. Read about the history of Din Tai Fung here.

At the entrance of the restaurant, one can see how the Xiao Long Baos and La Mien are being made. I guess this concept is widely used by most Shanghainese restaurants in town.

Since we will be having a buffet dinner later, we decided to order something light to share. I guess our meal there would not be complete without the Xiao Long Bao. Priced at RM11 for 5 pieces, tastewise, I find that it’s not too bad. Just the right amount of saltiness and the pork meat was really fresh. However, I tried to be very careful during the process of transporting the delicate Xiao Long Bao from the bamboo basket to my mouth, trying hard not to break its skin or else the broth within would be splattered all over my plate. I successfully transferred it to my mouth but sadly, I would prefer my Xiao Long Bao to have more broth in it.

WMW was captivated with the photo of the Shrimp Pork Shao Mai in the menu and so we ordered a portion to try. Priced at RM 11 for 4 pieces, the fillings were exactly the same as the Xiao Long Bao but wrapped differently with a shrimp on top of the dumpling. Probably due to the shape of the dumpling, I found that the skin was a bit too thick. Nevertheless, this dumpling had more broth though.

Recommended by the waitress, we had a plate of Deep Fried Chilli Chicken priced at RM 15. The chicken cubes were marinated overnight (I tasted curry/chilli powder) and then deep fried upon order. It is then tossed with lots of minced garlic and cili padi. Funny though as when we bite into the chicken cubes, it tasted slightly oily but the plate it was served on was not oily at all. Anyway, it tasted really good when eaten with the minced garlic.

Lastly, we completed our meal with a bowl of Cha Jiang La Mien at RM12. I simply love the texture of the La Mien, neither too soft nor hard but chewy and ‘QQ’. The minced pork gravy however was nothing to shout about. But after we added in some chilli oil and vinegar….it tasted really good.

Most of the items in the menu, including those we wanted to try were not available yet. Since it was their first day operation, this is understandable. Perhaps the best time to visit this place is to wait for a couple more weeks so that they have everything in order.

With our tummy filled, we happily proceeded with more shopping and we actually shopped for 4 hours!!!! Sniff sniff…I ended up RM600 poorer.

Din Tai Fung is located at:
Lot LG – 207 Lower Ground Floor
The Gardens, Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur

Also check out the review from WMW here.


35 comments:

wmw said...

Hehe...yours got more shopping story. Here's to more shopping...(eh, not so soon, need to save up, haha!).

jason said...

Eee.. jealous la :(
I heard that there's party at Robinsons last night.

ling239 said...

the name is similar to the one loacted at SS2 same row as the diamond and gold shops... are they the same ? or they shifted from SS2? because i notice the one in SS2 already closed down...

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Created a dent in my purse and seems like it will remain dented until next month's paycheck! Hahaha...had great fun yesterday...we shall do it again, say next Isetan sale? ;)

jason: Aiyer..speaking of that, we were kicked out from Robinsons at sharp 6 p.m. cos they are closing it for VIP visit. So upset, i have to buy my bag in a rush.

ling239: Issit??? I was told that this is their first outlet in Malaysia. Perhaps using the same name?? Will go check out the one in SS2 to see if it's the same.

fatboybakes said...

huh? Gardens buka oridi ah? i tot its still one big construction site? should i activate my UOB robinsons card?

Big Boys Oven said...

Aiyoh! I am so jealous now..... next time call me also, I will do my dolly trolley!

ling239 said...

but the one in SS2 already chap-lap wor... =.="

Precious Pea said...

fbb: Buka oledi yesterday and yes, activates it now, if not mistaken, got discount if use the card. Err...UOB meh? Not OCBC Robinson meh??

bbo: You love shopping too?? It will be a while for my dented purse to recover. But i overheard that the Isetan Raya sale is on early October.

ling239: Issit?? Aiyooo....

MeiyeN said...

i wanted so much to go too but had no time sobzzz..... :( so many new shopping malls; pavillion, pyramid2 and now gardens!!!! really hope that i have da chance to step inside at least one of them this coming weekend ;)

Precious Pea said...

Hahaha, meiyen, wmw was telling me that the person she most likely expected to bump into is you. Do go this weekend. I also planning to go again with Hubby this time.

teckiee said...

like pavillion ...outside like ghost building.. inside like grand pallace

boo_licious said...

Whoopee, more things to see and eat. Must go get some retail therapy soon, hand itching already.

UnkaLeong said...

Sis went there and told me it reminded her of Paragon in Bangkok. Hahaha...Jeles, pergi pun tak panggil :P

Jackson said...

hmm... u took MC ar

wenching & esiong said...

wow, seems like there's a new restaurant to try out again. thanks for introducing!

Tummythoz said...

U 2 are real fast shoppers & eaters!

mama bok said...

I can't wait to try Din Tai Fung...! by the time they were up and running.. i already left to be in Canada..! what a bummer..!

tigerfish said...

I forgot if I have tried Din Tai Fung before back in S'pore!!!! I do like my XLB with more broth (or rather fats-turn-broth) too!

Junkgirl said...

Oh...there is a DinTaiFung in KL too.

Anonymous said...

The SS2 one was called "Shanghai Ding Tai Feng" (Fake DTF) and is not related to the Original Din Tai Fung from Taiwan which is now at the Gardens.

The fake DTF closed at the end of last year.

daphne said...

I want to go shopping too! hehee.. once again, i hv to say that they present their food really well... nice pics!

jason said...

I was able to watch some video clips taken by my friend. Looks like veli da high class wor.

Precious Pea said...

Teckiee: Yalor...but i guess they were either rushing cos of auspicious date for opening or to compete with each other.

boo: Quite a number of new eateries coming out. Would be quite interesting to explore. Perhaps, i should take 1 day off next time, we all go together to explore.

unkaleong: I didn't know you like shopping too. Next time will call you along.

jackson: No la....I took 1/2 day leave.

wenching & esiong: More new restaurants to come...i think need many many trips to conquer every eateries there.

tummythoz: Like i said in my introduction, this is the first time I so 'kan-cheong' over opening of a shopping mall. Hehehe..but i like the feeling of shopping.

Precious Pea said...

mamabok: That means it's time for you to arrange for a visit home. *hint hint*

tigerfish: Exactly! The broth is actually the gist to a good XLB!

junkgirl: Is the one in Aussieland good?

anonymous: Thanks for the info. Now i recall that there is one shanghainese restaurant along that row of shops that is always quite empty.

daphne: I peeped at my next table's fried rice...looks quite good. Grains by grains and full of eggs!
But do visit them 1 month later as many of the stuffs are not available yet.

jason: It's supposed to target middle to high income range group.

Jacelyn Chew said...

wow, u gals go shopping and food hunting! fun huh? hehe, can i join next time? ..... when u come to Ipoh!....

btw, do u do tag?
http://mummyinvain.blogspot.com/2007/09/all-2-of-me.html

sc said...

i've only tried the ding tai fung in spore. not that great either..hmmm, wonder if i should try this at all? ;)

~Christine~Leng said...

wow... new place? Should visit then! the xiu long bao... worth trying??

dining and shopping! Oh.. Love them both soooo much!

Jun said...

wow! it finally arrived on msian shores! i remember having it when i went to spore in dec and eating the best XLB i've ever tasted-- tho fr ur review it seemed a bit lackluster :( do they have taro dumplings on the msian menu?

New Kid on the Blog said...

sorry, what's Garden?? I didn't visit KL for almost 6 months... oh ya, there's a branch in Penang - Din Tai Feng. If am not mistaken Rasa M'sia blogged about it before.

ai wei said...

wow, another new place to try out. love the xiu loong bao so much! thanks fro introducing e

Precious Pea said...

Jacelyn: Very fun indeed! How I wish I could do it everyday. Heehee...wait la, wait till i strike lottery. But i don't buy how to strike?? I kena tagged?? Hahaha..ok..will find time to do it.

sc: Perhaps should try, just to make a comparison. But then again, the day we had was their first day, so i guess it's unfair to judge them whether they are good or not.

christine: For me, i really find it no big deal. The lack of soup was kinda anti climax when i successfully put it in my mouth and expect the soup splattered all over. Maybe you should try it out and see if you like it.

jun: Hmm...i didn't notice but is it under dessert section? Cos they do have red bean paste stuffed into XLB style. Not sure about taro though.

nkotb: In Penang?? I was told this is the very first outlet in Malaysia. Anyway..the Gardens is a newly opened poshy mall right next to Mid Valley.

ai wei: Harlow and welcome to my blog. No prob, do try it out and let me know your verdict. :)

ilene said...

Quickly came over from WMW. I go where there's food! Aiyoh, between you and WMW, it would certainly be most difficult trying to shed off some pounds!

If only I had known you were both at The Gardens, I would have called WMW up and together we could get to know each other as I myself have not met WMW but I do need to treat her to a cup of coffee. I was there for the opening of Robinsons. Next time huh.

Precious Pea said...

ilene: Ohh...you are a fren of WMW??? Never mind, am sure there are plenty of chances to meet up.

Hummingbird said...

Precious pea! I can't agree more - DTF Gardens is awesome - I must return for more XLBs and Lah Mien. A must try for any KL foodie!!

Haruto said...

asd

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online