Friday, November 16, 2007

PAN HEONG RESTAURANT (Revisit) @ Batu Caves

Ever since my MakanGang member brought me here to try their famous Mee Goreng Mamak, I loved it very much and vowed to return since I spotted bowls after bowls of saliva-dripping porridge and good-looking steamed fish head on every table.

(For your information, this place was our first stop during the Drive for Food contest. Just a reminder, kindly vote for Fantastic 4 and Apple Crumble Team here. Thank you)


Few weeks later, we revisited the place to fulfill my vow. We wanted to try more items in their menu, hence I am only allowed to order one type of porridge. Quite difficult as everything sounded really good. I was torn between spareribs, froggy legs, pomfret to snakehead fish (Sang Yue). Finally, I settled for Snakehead Porridge with century eggs (Sang Yue Pei Dan Chuk) for 2 pax. Very delicious looking indeed...it came sprinkled with spring onions, fried onions and a dash of white pepper and sesame oil.

I couldn't remember if the fried crullers (yau char kuey) was an add-ons or complimentary. All I could remember is that it tastes wonderful with the hot porridge. I love the consistency of the porridge; smooth and mushy, just the way I like my porridge. I was delighted with the generous amount of century eggs too. I made a vow again, next visit...FROGGY PORRIDGE! Ribbit Ribbit!!

The Steamed Fish Head was cooked to perfection. The soya-based gravy is quite unique as cili padi was added, quite different from the usual Hong Kong style. I also found pieces of black wood fungus which was pretty tasty after absorbing the fish gravy. I find it pretty average since am not a big fan for fish. But this dish will remains memorable to me since it was my first time having steamed fish for breakfast!

The Fresh River Prawns with Flat Rice Noodle (Sang Har Hor Fun) is highly recommended here. The smooth flat rice noodle were first tossed, hence full of wok hei. Prawns were cooked to perfection....juicy, bouncy and sweet! But the best I find was the eggy gravy. The roes from the prawns really enhanced the flavour of the gravy which is neither runny nor starchy. 4 thumbs up from us.

To finish off the meal, Hubby requested for a strip of Deep Fried Nam Yue Pork Belly that we loved during our first visit. Sadly, it was a bit tough this time round probably due to lack of fats in this cut.

I had this meal at least 2 months ago, hence I lost the receipt. So, my apologies for not stating the price of each dish here. But believe me, the food is good and price is reasonable unless you opt for abalone porridge.

This place is packed during weekends and they have a number system for those in queue. So do go early.


Pan Heong is located at:
No. 2 Jalan Medan Batu Caves 2
Medan Batu Caves
Tel: 03-6187.7430
Business Hours: 8 a.m. - 3.30 p.m.

For direction, please refer to Boolicious post on Pan Heong here.


22 comments:

Hubby said...

I really enjoyed the prawn hor fun. Tasted good, and not too pricey. Higher recommended for avid prawn hor fun lovers!!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Oh I love the food here. Especially the sang har noodles with the yummy eggy gravy. Mmmm!!!

Imbi & Itchy said...

The sang har mee looks good, not many places serve good ones anymore with the exception of one I'd tried around Imbi area.

tigerfish said...

Wooo...the porridge looks soooo smooth....I Want!

My votes are in. But I'm new...can u tell me who is who? :P

Precious Pea said...

Hubby, we go again soon ok?

luscious sista: The gravy so far is one of the best I ever tasted!

imbi & itchy: Heard so much about the Imbi one but no chance to try it yet. Need to go try to see if its comparable to Pan Heong. Slurps!

tigerfish: Who is who? Hehehehe...you guess?

wmw said...

Mmmm....when go there again??? Need to look up Ilene who stays nearby.

mama bok said...

Aiyoooohhh!! i die lor.. looking at all the good food.. ;)

team bsg said...

this place we usually come ( before going up Genting Highlands ) to get the snake head porridge fix( for the Xtra needed oOomph ) or after coming down to recuperate from Qi sapping rendevous. think the prawn dish can fight that overhigh fella in Greenview PJ lah . u must vow to kiss & tell abalone porridge nex !

Jackson said...

hey...remember to call me along for the froggie porridge!!

ai wei said...

oh my!!! Big big prawn on the Hor Fun. *slurp-slurp*

Jun said...

i dined here ages ago when i was still in high school, and although my cousin said the mee goreng was nice, i din find it good. then again, for me the benchmark is the mee goreng in penang's bangkok lane-- fr ur videos i presume u guys din end up gng there? i bring u thr next time, okies? ^_~

Precious Pea said...

wmw: How about coming Friday for breakfast?

mamabok: Hahaha...eat first die much much later.

team bsg: I agree! So much more cheaper and nicer than that restaurant in PJ. Abalone porridge? Aiyoo...so tempting. Wallet runs dry oledi.

Jackson: Deal!

ai wei: Big, Fat, Succulent and Juicy!

Jun: I find the mee mamak here not enuff spicy. But lots of people like it though. Didn't have the chance to try the one you mentioned in Penang, so I shall wait for you to come back. ;)

Tummythoz said...

Waa if cannot finish the noodles gravy think will look bad if ask for 'tapau'? =P

beachlover said...

I wanna some 'sang har hor fun".Love shrimp,any shrimp.I notice the biz hour only serve until 3 pm.it's this restauarant just serve only breakfast not dinner?But they even have steamed fish,dinner meal,wonder why?.Hmmm Batu Cave..no far from my mom place.Going to try it.

~Christine~Leng said...

i can take prawns now! whee... guess my allergy has gone? but still have to consume less for the time being.. big juicy prawns!! o....

Big Boys Oven said...

so will we get invited to your thai theme, house warming? lol!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

omg..it looks so yummy!!..batu caves wor..means damn far rite??

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: Leftover gravy? Hahaha..don't think you will have the problem lor.

beachlover: Exactly! I was shocked during the first visit when every table ordered the steamed fish and several other dishes to go with the porridge. The meal is like dinner to me.

christine: My Hubby used to be seafood-allergic but miraculously cured now. I think you have to take from time to time so your body won't reject it totally.

bbo: What Thai theme house warming?

NJoe: Not far la...drive and not walk ma....why not we go there for breakfast then lunch you bring us to Gohtong Jaya?

Big Boys Oven said...

ask jackson lar

Jackson said...

BBO, why ask me ler? u make me blur...

Precious Pea said...

bbo and jackson ???? But if you guys can whip up good Thai dishes, then we all shall have one Thai party!!!

ling239 said...

delicious prawns u had...
i can eat all of them !! anybody interested in the noodle ? :p

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online