Wednesday, September 19, 2007

SCRUMPTIOUS EVENING AT JALAN BANGKUNG

“Jalan Bangkung? Where is Jalan Bangkung?” Embarassed to say this but despite living so close to Bangsar for more than 20 years, I have never heard of Jalan Bangkung until I was invited to a scrumptious evening at this hidden boutique boulevard located in Bangsar.

Thanks to Nigel of Just Heavenly, I took up the invitation to this event organized by Maxnetic which offers MAX Privilege Card that allows members to enjoy discounts at participating merchants, ranging from restaurants to bars, retailers TO pampering services. For more details on MAX subscription and list of participating merchants, do check it out at their website here .

The afternoon started at Fit For 2 Studio and Cafe. The Fit for 2 Studio offers various classes suitable for all stages of parenthood whereas, the Cafe serves a variety of food and beverages. I also found out that the owner of this place also owns Bijou, Bisou and Bianco.

The afternoon tea started by sampling of the mini chocolate brownies and mini cupcakes that came in 3 flavours; peanut butter with chocolate, orange vanilla and chocolate fudge.
The chocolate brownies tasted pretty average while the icing on the mini cupcake was a tad too sweet for my likings. Probably because it was so tiny, the proportion of the icing and the cupcake was almost the same, thus slightly on the sweet side. Being a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, I guess I don’t need to say more which flavour is my favourite.

We were also served with tuna sandwich and chicken sandwich. The bread was really thick and after a few bites, it immediately filled up my stomach.

Tuna Sandwich
Chicken Sandwich

To wash down the sandwiches, Pumpkin soup was served. I can't comment whether the soup was good or bad as this was my second time having pumpkin soup. Rich and buttery, I find it slightly on the sweet side.

Fit for Two is located at:
1st Floor, No. 75 Jalan Bangkung
Bukit Bandaraya
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2093 9088
Website: www.fitfor2.com.my

*****

Located a few doors away from Fit for Two, we made a stop at CAVA for a Spanish Tapas, Paella and Sangria.

Being a seafood lover, I was totally captivated with the Seafood Paella, beautifully arranged with big prawns, mussels, clams and squids. Being a fussy person when it comes to texture of my rice, I was disappointed as the paella was soft and mushy. But can’t blame the chef as it’s not easy to cook such a big portion and get it right. Well..I speaks from experience as I always screwed up when I cook for guests. Could it be stress??

Among some of the Tapas served were:

Sauteed Black Pepper Beef
Spanish Omelette
Potato Bravas
Sauteed Baby Octopus
Spanish Lamb Boulette

Cava is located at:
71 Jalan Bangkung
Bukit Bandaraya
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2093 6637
Website: www.cava.com.my

*****

From Spanish fiesta, we strolled over to Opus Bistro for an Italian Affair. I quite like this restaurant as the moment I entered, I felt really cozy and relaxed.

Upon seated, we were served with a mini serving of carbonara pasta. Thank goodness it’s mini serving as I was already so stuffed with the food from earlier stops. The Carbonara pasta was deliciously cheesy and creamy. I find the serving just right cos anything more than that, I guarantee that I will definitely suffer from overdose of food.

Next came the Roasted Cod Fish with Lemon Capers sauce which tasted pretty good too.
Sadly, I only took one bite as I was really, really, really stuffed!

To complement the fish, we were served with white wine from Italy (if not mistaken it is called Garofoli) courtesy of Wine Cellar which I will introduce more in a short while.

Satisfied with the food in Opus, I will definitely come back again to try more of their dishes, especially their best selling Antipasti – Seafood platter.

OPUS is located at:
67 Jalan Bangkung
Bukit Bandaraya
59100 Bangsar, KL
Tel: 03 – 2092.4288
Website: www.opusbistro.com
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday (Lunch and dinner)
Sunday (dinner only)

*****

I was delighted that the next stop doesn’t involve any food; in fact, it was a tour at the Wine Cellar which I find is a good way to allow a bit of digestion before dessert being served.

There are more than 500 varieties of wines from various countries such as Australia, Argentina, France, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, South Africa, Spain and USA with different price range to satisfy every needs.

So the next time you shop for wine, do drop by at Wine Cellar located at:
65 Jalan Bangkung
Bukit Bandaraya
59100 Bangsar, KL
Tel: 03 – 2093 1919
Website: www.winecellar.com.my

*****

For the last stop, we were ushered upstairs which turned out to be The Attic, a stylish and classy gallery bar lounge. Besides being a great cocktail bar and charming art gallery, it is also a wonder place to unwind with live music.

The La Dolce Vita I tasted was quick a kick. I was told that it is also known as “Tiramisu in a Glass”. Apart from drinks, they also serve food and desserts.

The Attic is located at:
61-2 Jalan Bangkung
Bukit Bandaraya
59100 Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 – 2093 8842
Website: www.attickl.com
Opening Hours: 5p.m. – late (weekdays)
12 p.m. – late (weekends)
Closed on Monday

*****

I managed to digest a little to make space for dessert, courtesy of Just Heavenly. My plate of dessert came with three lovely cakes. The Mango Upside Down was lovely! The crumbed base was topped with chunks of caramelized mangos….mmm…love it.

The chilled lemon cheesecake was not too bad too, light and creamy.

Of late, my tastebud changes a lot and recently I have developed a passion for raspberry. So it's not surprising that my favourite cake turns out to be the Raspberry Madeira, a very rich and moist sponge cake soaked in raspberry crush. Really heavenly pleasure.

I have blogged about their cakes before, so do check it out here. Also drop by to their website to view their selection of yummy cakes.

Just Heavenly is located at
No. 47 Jalan Terasek
Bangsar Baru
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03 – 2287 9866

Just Heavenly Pleasures is located at
G1.05 Epicure
Jalan Medan Setia 1
Bukit Damansara
Tel: 017 – 251 3202

*****

And that completes a satisfying 3 hours food journey at Jalan Bangkung. Once again, thanks to Max for this complimentary food tasting session which is valued at RM120. I will certainly return to Jalan Bangkung again soon!

12 comments:

jason said...

I saw Jackson! Lianne and me also!Aren't you glad you attended? Heh.

Precious Pea said...

Luscious lips: Yes wor..now you mentioned it, i managed to capture you guys in the photo!

The Drool Team said...

Wow, tts total indulgence which I don't mind having. 4 members only?

Anonymous said...

I wished you had put in the prices of the food you ordered. Was there a reason why no prices was quoted? :-)

wmw said...

What a day it was...now that you are done, I'm the last since I still have Part 2 to go! Hahaha..

Precious Pea said...

drool team: The event was specially arranged and it was opened to Max members, a few people from the press as well as 10 food bloggers.

anonymous: Oppssss....thanks for asking. I was supposed to put but after the amount of time spent on this post...the price slipped out of my mind. Worth RM150 but thanks to Nigel, we food bloggers was given complimentary.

wmw: Hahaha....ok..add oil add oil!

sc said...

the pictures looks great! woman, you're making me hungry now!

Jun said...

haha i oso din know about jln bangkung until i started reading about it in most of the food blogs ;p which part of bangsar is it at? near telawi? maarof? or another area? me so ulu lar... ;p

SteamyKitchen said...

I can't believe you ATE THAT MUCH!! What a feast!

;-)
jaden

Precious Pea said...

sc: Hehehe... ;)

Jun: Errm...you have to pass through a housing area...you know the secondary school? Err...aiyer...if got chance i bring you there. Hehehe..hard to explain.

steamykitchen: Hahahaha....what to do? If i don't try, i can't review the taste. Believe me, i was seriously STUFFED that day.

Jun said...

haha ya cos fr ur first pic it looks like any other normal row of shophouses leh... okok see if i am "destined" to meet one of the food queens or not *hehe*

New Kid on the Blog said...

ai yo... i really envy la... penang no such gathering keh??? :(

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online