Monday, October 29, 2007

APOM STALL @ MING TIEN FOODCOURT, TAMAN MEGAH

Accompanying WMW for a late dinner one fine night, I stepped into Ming Tien Foodcourt in Taman Megah for the very first time. Despite living in SS2 for the past 2 decades which is just a stone-throw away from Taman Megah, somehow when I go food hunting, this place always doesn't make it into my list. Anyway, once you are in Taman Megah, one would not miss the Ming Tien Foodcourt, situated just right next to the futsal court. Using beach as a theme and surrounded by lush greenery and wooden hut, I really felt like entering into a beach resort. And not forgetting the canto-pop blasting in full volume, no wonder this place is so popular among the youngsters.

The food court offers both local favourites as well as international cuisine such as Italian Pizzas, Taiwanese snacks, Vietnamese noodle, Japanese delicacies and many many more. A quick search in the internet and found that they even have a website. So do click here for more information as I am going to jump straight into the main topic: APOM!

WMW walked straight to the APOM stall and immediately the husband and wife team greeted her like an old friend. While they were busy catching up, I too was busy snapping away.

There are two types of the pancake-like snacks available: Apom which is the crispy version versus the Apom Balik which is the softer and thicker version. The crispy apom is cooked by placing the batter into individual miniature wok and placed on a stove to cook till the batter turns brown.
Issit cooked yet??
The cooked Apom is immediately taken out from the wok and folded while it's still hot.

Tada, a stack of freshly made crispy Apom ready to be eaten.

While the boss was busy with the Apom, the wife too was busy with her Apom Balik which comes in either corn or banana flavour. Quite unusual as I normally buy those with crushed peanuts fillings. Instead of using miniature wok, a hot mould is being used and it can produced up to 9 Apom Balik at one go. Once the batter is poured in, either creamed corn or sliced bananas will be added as fillings.

The Apom Balik is then folded into half while hot. The texture of the Apom Balik is much softer, almost like eating pancake. Very economical to ease your craving for snacks as the Apom is selling at RM2 for 5 pieces whereas the Apom Balik is priced at RM2 for 4 pieces. Personally I prefers the Apom as it was really light, crispy and eggy flavour. Boolicious and I were initially worried we might not be able to finish our serving as we just had a hearty dinner and before we realised it, we finished all without leaving any for WMW. LOL!! As for the Apom Balik, I would say I still prefer the traditional fillings of crushed peanuts and corn. I find the portion here is too little, barely can taste the corn nor the bananas.

WMW said the vegetarian mee goreng next to the Apom stall is not too bad too. Ok, noted and I will definately be back to try out the other stuffs here.

Ming Tien Foodcourt is located at:
Lot 10991, Jalan SS24/8
Taman Megah, Selangor
Tel: 03-7806 4991

Also check out Boolicious's review on the Apom here.

24 comments:

wmw said...

Yalor...nothing left for me! LOL...

Big Boys Oven said...

Looks like something I crave for since I was back from Penang.

mama bok said...

I really missed snacks like these.. :(

Tummythoz said...

Akibat eating with foodies. After snapping pix, must be fast to snap up food. =)

jason said...

LOL over Tummythoz's comment. :P

ai wei said...

i miss this a lot!!! aiks~ wish to have it now but i can only get them in connaught/segar pasar malam

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Hahaha..yalor, somemore we so worried we over ordered. LOL!

bbo: Do give it a try especially the crispy version. Almost like eating love letters.

mamabok: Come back come back!!

Tummythoz and Jason: I thought we are already well-trained? No?

aiwei: I think morning market also have. Aiii..now am craving for the peanut version. HEHEHE..tonite got pasar malam, will satisfy my craving there. ;)

~Christine~Leng said...

eh? Ming Tein have this? Didn't really notice. Used to have this during pasar malam ;)

Jun said...

*gasp!* i lovelovelovelove apom!!! it was one of my all-time fav childhood snacks when i was growing up in penang-- the thin one tho, not the thick ones ;) my fav were the ones sold by a lady in air itam-- they were longer, and had a more crepe-like texture, but still crispy at the edges nonetheless. but the lady isn't there anymore :(

ling239 said...

me too prefer the peanut and corn version, but the one i found at Tmn Tun Pasar Malam the peanuts are very dark in color, and we are worried that they might be over fried or mouldy d ~ :(

Precious Pea said...

christine: At one corner..err..near to Fatty Crab that corner.

Jun: When it comes to peanut fillings, i love both thick and thin. But i prefers Apom made by Malays..i find they are more generous with the servings.

ling239: Hahaha...probably too burnt. AIyer....i really crave for the peanuts version. Wanted to go pasar malam to grab it but it's raining outside now.

KampungboyCitygal said...

my turn to feel hungry :(( i need supper!

catsndogs said...

hey hey.. that's my starter everytime i go ming tian for dinner ....
jus love the apong balik berry much... :D . oppsss.. , hungry now lor...

Precious Pea said...

kampungboycitygirl: Hahaha...quite near your place also...i scare you ended up more than Apom at this foodcourt.

catsndogs: You regular? So what else is good there? The Viet noodle any good?

tigerfish said...

I don't think I have tried APOM before. Is this similar to Mee Chiam Kueh?

daphne said...

oh gosh! I love this snack. My must have when I head to KL as well. So nice and crisp..and like u.. so easy to finish!

wenching & esiong said...

Wow, it was nice that you captured the whole process of making apom. I guess this is one of Malaysians favourite snacks! :)

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: Err..wat is mee chiam kuih?

daphne: Almost like love letters rite? ONce you start, just can't stop/

wenching & esiong: The boss and his wife are very friendly so capturing the whole process was easy. :)

tekko said...

always eat apom when i was in Penang, it's so common there but not in KL here :-( thanks for sharing this, will drop by to "tah bao" as other stalls just so so.

Precious Pea said...

tekko: Just back from Penang yesterday and I had the Apom in New Lane. Tastes so much nicer than this in Taman Megah, soft and more aromatic. I loves the Pandan with Coconut.

tekko said...

in Penang everywhere that I tried Apom also not too bad. looks like it is time to visit my sister again in Penang ;-)

Precious Pea said...

tekko: Sigh...i didn't get to try my favourite Apom with peanuts. My friend told me the Egg Apom in Pulau Tikus also very very nice.

disnotfordavid said...

Love your blog on food and your travelling details. How do you keep the pounds off after eating so much?

Love yr recipes as well, real authentic home cooked food...

disnotfordavid said...

Hiya, wow you reply quite soon. Hee i used to have 2 dogs last time. they lived with me for about 12 years before they were called home..

I love dogs still, but unfortunately I don't have the time to take care of them as I am always out...

I suppose that very cute dog in the photo is yrs? it looks alot like my friends dog... =)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online