Saturday, November 24, 2007

KETAM STEAMBOAT @ IKANO POWER CENTRE

I think I have caught the steamboat bug. I have been craving for steamboat for the past two months and after trying to recall how many times of steamboat I had so far...it was a shocking total of 8 times which included two homemade version. In fact I just came back from one very yummy and satisfying steamboat dinner which I will going to post soon. Please bear with me as the next few posts will be featuring on steamboat. I think just let me release the bug in my blog and who knows? I might be cured through spreading the bugs to you guys. Hehehe.


The first place that I am going to post is the Ketam Steamboat Restaurant which has opened in the Ikano Power Centre few months ago. Introduced by WMW, we headed there one night together with Teckiee for dinner. This place is very spacious and located at the Lower Ground Floor of Ikano Power Centre, the same spot where Ben's Cafe used to be. Eventhough it was a weekday, the crowd was quite good but when I revisited the place last Sunday, it was crowded! I was lucky to get a table almost immediately as I noticed those that came after me have to wait for their tables.


What differentiates this place from the others is the menu. It caters to all individual with different taste. Now I know why WMW loves this place so much. For those who don't fancy anything fishy, this is the perfect place to go as they do offer noodle set with your preferred choice of meat. If you like the usual steamboat stuffs, you can opt for the combo set. In short, you will be spoilt with choices, even for those who don't like seafood.


Apart from the combo / noodle set, you can order extra serving of your favourite steamboat ingredients at very reasonable price.

Chilli paste and fried shallots are served unlimited here. If you want something spicy, go for the blended green chilis.

Another thing special about this place is that everyone gets their individual pot of soup. So, if you are fussy person who doesn't like people wash their chopstick in the soup, this would be an ideal place. For the soup based, you can either have clear soup or Tom Yum Soup. While WMW and I opt for clear soup, Teckiee tried the Tom Yum which I find it too spicy for me. I notice Teckiee having a hard time finishing her order due to the spiciness of the soup. I also saw that there is a curry chicken noodle set in the menu, so i guess with that, you will get curry-based soup.

WMW had the Sliced Lamb Noodle set priced at only RM9.80. It came with vermicelli and yellow noodles and of course the thinly sliced lamb, some fried beancurd sheets, chicken balls and veggies. Like WMW said, it's like ordering a bowl of noodle soup, but only differece is that you have to cook it yourself.

Since I was craving for steamboat so badly, I ordered the Sliced Lamb Combo Set (RM21.90) which came with a plate of the usual steamboat ingredients such as fish paste, fish ball, quail egg, stuffed beancurd, fried foochuk, fish, prawns, variety of greens and noodles. Pretty good as all their ingredients were very fresh. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

My set also came with generous portion of thinly sliced lamb. Very fresh and it didn't have any strong smell at all.

This is my pot of soup...with the ingredients floating on top, that means, ready to be eaten! Yumz..

WMW ordered the Veggie Balls (6 pieces for RM3.80) which is one of my favourite too.


So the next time if you are clueless of what to eat while you are at Ikano, do give this place a try.

Ketam Village Steamboat
Lower Ground Floor
Ikano Power Centre
Mutiara DamansaraPetaling Jaya

Also check out other reviews here:


24 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

i love steamboats too :) we have a restaurant tt does individual steamboat (i can't tell u how many times i'm disgusted when friends wash their chopsticks into the pot of soup. esp in china, the older folks swish their chopsticks left n right!now i only eat communal steamboat with my hub n kids) but it's not doing well bc its quite expensive.go on steamboating, i want to see what kl offers.

~Christine~Leng said...

each of you will get a pot for yourself?
I didn't know about this place ;P The sliced lamb looks good!

MeiyeN said...

sounds good! will definitely drop by..... i love steamboat! :D

bsg 3 said...

nowssadays backstreets not much food left so sad so sad , but now we know where all gone oredi. neber mind we shall soon change name hahaha ! "resistence is futile " yes ah ? maybe its time for frontkafeStrike yes ?

Precious Pea said...

terri: I think you should do it yourself at home cos you have abundant of fresh seafood there. No problem..more steamboat posts on the way.

christine and meiyen: Do try if you are in the mood for steamboat after shopping in Ikano.

bsg3: Wah..who is the pretty girl with bento? New recruit?

Big Boys Oven said...

precious pea come come I take you to dine steam boat...call me!!!! we fix a date!!!lol!!!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Wow! I love steamboat! Very nice pictures.

ling239 said...

"if you are fussy person who doesn't like people wash their chopstick in the soup..."

i thought that would be fun to share...:D erm.. u mean three of u really behave ? :p

Precious Pea said...

BBO: Haha..you are dating me to 'boating in steam or steaming in boat'? Hahaha..where and when?

east meets west kitchen: Thanks! :)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

my dining companion and I had mixed reviews about this restaurant. Me....I'm always game for hot steamy food. hahaha.

Precious Pea said...

ling239: There are really people out there I know who are really fussy when it comes to dipping our chopsticks in. For me, family members and friends ok la...but if you say, put chopstick in the mouth then put into the soup again, it can be quite geli. No?

lyrical lemongrass: My Hubby said while the concept is excellent but price can be a bit steep too. For the price paid here, we can get very good steamboat outside. I kinda agree. BUt then this is for convenient lor..i mean if you happened to be ikano. Otherwise if i crave for steamboat i wouldn't drive all the way there..hehe.

Pinky said...

omg.. I love steamboat and this place looks really interesting. But having individual pot has it pros and cons. Somehow I feel it loss a sense of closeness.

Live2Talk said...

Err Ketam Steamboat ada ketam ah?

Jackson said...

wow...they also venture into shopping mall business..

ling239 said...

erm... i meant amongst frens ler :p
must share share and try try mar hahahaaa...
if stranger hor.... @_@

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha hold it there..noo you shall not pass the steamboat bug to me..

looks alright la..but being individual pots, not so fun ler..

Precious Pea said...

pinky: True..i also like sharing a communal pot with family and friends. But this one more like fast food concept, order what you want and eat only your share..hehe.

live2talk: Crabstick ada!!!

jackson: Hahaha, now business also very competitive oledi.

ling239: I share the same sentiment as yours. Steamboat supposed to be everyone sharing the same pot. Like i said earlier, this place is more to convenient if you happened to be in Ikano and craving for steamboat. Like WMW, she doesn't eat all the fishy stuffs so other places doesn't appeal to her. You wait for next post...or the coming ones...very nice!

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Hahaha...wait la..wait till i finish all my steamboat post lor.

jason said...

Individual pots... sounds like those shabu shabu concept place.

wenching & esiong said...

Seems like there're more and more places using this individual pot concept, more hygiene and convenient I suppose. Looks good, gonna try it out next time!

wmw said...

Well, RM9.90 for my set is pretty reasonable :o)

Precious Pea said...

Jason, wenching & esiong: I think individual pot is the 'IN' thing now.

wmw: Yep..Hubby also said the RM9.90 set very reasonable.

mama bok said...

I love steamboat.. but i gotta eat with ppl who loves to eat.. otherwise..i won't be able to eat alot.. ;)

Precious Pea said...

mamabok: you mean ME???

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online