Wednesday, November 07, 2007

MY ELEPHANT @ HAPPY MANSION, SEC 17

I was recently introduced to this new Thai restaurant known as "My Elephant" located at the ground floor of Happy Mansion flats in Section 17. I was also told that they used to operate a Som Tam stall at the Plaza Mont' Kiara night market and also a restaurant in KL which subsequently relocated to this outlet. I kinda like this place; cozy and perfect for gathering with friends over good Thai food at reasonable price. I was there last Friday to discuss our Drive For Food strategy, thus, not many photos were taken. SInce Hubby and I were clueless of what to eat tonite, we decided to revisit this place.

On my first visit, I ordered the KraChiap Cooler (RM2.50) which is a refreshing Thai Roselle Herbal Tea. Packed with Vitamin C and cholesterol buster! Soothing to the throat after a fiery hot bowl of Tom Som.
This glass of Mango Mojito (RM4.50) was ordered by WMW which tasted quite funny.

Tonite I had the Watermelon Cooler (RM4.50) which tasted like blended watermelon with barley. I like it but Hubby said it tasted weird.


For appetizer, we ordered Miaeng Kum (RM8.50) where you wrap the daun kadok with coconut crisps peanuts, dried shrimp, assorted condiments - chopped chili, ginger and lime, topped with sweet-sour tamarind sauce. A very recommended teaser to start off with.


We ordered Tom Som (RM12) during the first visit and I loved it very much, so we decided to have it again tonite. Tom Som is a clear Galangal-Lemongrass-Lime Soup with aromatic Thai herbs. You can either have it with fish or seafood. I prefers the latter though that comes with big prawns and squids. The taste is so perfect; tangy and spicy! Not a drop wasted.


Another great appetizer that I loved was the Yum Mamuang Talay (RM8) which is actually green mango salad with assorted seafood tossed with spicy dressing. It was served with generous helpings of prawns and squids. I find it really addictive as I couldn't stop putting it into my mouth.


This plate of otak-otak omelette was ordered during my first visit. It was not too bad. Tasty and aromatic. Perfect dish to go with rice.


I was disappointed with the Gai Yaeng Tar Krai (RM10) which is actually BBQ Chicken Fillet with lemongrass. I would prefer if they use chicken thigh instead of the breast part. Tastewise, it was quite bland, certainly lack of lemongrass flavour.


Choo Chee Goong (RM15) is a yellow curry dish with river prawns. The serving came with 6 big pieces of prawns. The gravy was not too bad but sadly it didn't blend well with the prawns which were deep-fried in batter. I have no idea why it was cooked that way, as the prawns turned a bit dry and didn't absorb the curry flavour at all.
They don't have any menu for dessert as they only offer 'dessert of the day'. I didn't order any for today as they served the same Sago Pudding which I had during my last visit; Sago Pudding served with Jackfruit and Mango. Very light and not too sweet, just perfect to end the dinner.

(Photo courtesy of WMW)

A place worth visiting without ending up with a cut-throat bill. I will be back to try out more of their yummies. Do visit My Elephant which is located at:

Block C-G4 Happy Mansion
Section 17/13
46400 Petaling Jaya
Business Hours: Tuesday to Sunday (except Sunday lunch)
Lunch: 12.00 p.m. - 2.30 p.m.
Dinner: 6.00 p.m. - 10.00 p.m.

Tel : 012 328 5028 ~ Patrick

32 comments:

boo_licious said...

Yum! I love the dessert. The mango with glutinous rice is also yummy with the stuffed yam paste.

daphne said...

hmm..funny names these days restaurants have... maybe they think we will eat an elephant..

tigerfish said...

Other than the Tom Sum that looks like Tom Yum soup, this does not look like the usual Thai fare...or maybe it's me that just order the standard Thai dishes eg Thai green curry etc? "P

Precious Pea said...

Boo: I do hope they come out with a dessert menu soon.

daphne: Hmmm...wonder how elephant meat tastes like. Hehehe..kidding only la....too exotic for me to handle.

tigerfish: We did order the Thai Green Curry but that was during our first visit and I didn't take any picture on it.

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh this is lovely , price also look reasonable, will be there soon!

KampungboyCitygal said...

whoa happy mansion is so happening!!

ling239 said...

i want to go now !! but no phone number leh... wonder if i will be able to find it ~ wish me luck! ^_^

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

this is what i wish we have in kk - a good thai restaurant.

ai wei said...

save me the mango salad!!! how's the pricing?

Precious Pea said...

bbo: Yep, do try it out while it's not crowded yet.

kampungboycitygal: Good location also cos rental should be cheap.

ling239: Oppss..i forgot to put in the number. I will check and put it up tonite.

terri: With the abundant fresh seafood in KK, am sure cook the Thai ways...sure ROCKS!

aiwei: The mango salad only RM8 with a few prawns and squids. I find it very very reasonable for that kind of portion. They do have individual servings of noodles and fried rice.

ling239 said...

nvm... went d ^_^
quite easy to find if u know where the popular chicken rice shop is, or the block next to "6 to 10" :)
tel : 012 328 5028 ~ Patrick

Precious Pea said...

ling239: Wow, that was fast!! How you find the food? I was told they only serve set lunch.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Goodie...another Thai place to satisfy my thai food craving!

wenching & esiong said...

Looks like a nice place for fine Thai food. Thanks for introducing! Would want to try it out myself!

jason said...

Great leh, do you think can find that Tom Som in BKK?

Jessica said...

what's the difference between tom sum and tom yum?

Anonymous said...

Wah... after so many years, suddenly so many restaurants pop up in H.mansion.

Will definitely go and try their salads. Luuurrve som tum!

Thanks for your crab link. Abu Dhabi is great! Food lover's paradise!! hahaha.. But expensive thai food!

Precious Pea said...

luscious sista: Must bring you there to try...maybe next sista gathering??

wenching & esiong: Do give it a try...awaiting your post on this place then. :)

Jason: Errr...should have rite? You go find and don't forget to jot down the address for me ok?

jessica: Tom Sum is clear based while tom yum is red in colour. Some tom yum also cooked with coconut milk. Am still trying to distinguish which is which.

anonymous aka Kat: No problem. Did you try out the crab recipe then?

ekeng said...

hmmm..one more thai restaurant in town huh..Why call "My Elephant" ? Why not call "My Monkey" or "My Cat" **joke**..I will give it a try cos i really miss Mille Crepe at Food Foundry.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

15rm for 6 prawns is dirt cheap man..haha when u want to take me here??..but i am overdosing myself with prawns..boiled n dip with seafood sauce..wahahah..

Imbi & Itchy said...

I have not eaten Miaeng Kum before and had been planning too, what a good timing. Price is also good, will not burn a whole in your pocket hor .. and I liked the area very much. No parking problem usually. Thanks Ivy!

UnkaLeong said...

ooo ka-jiap...Another place to satisfy my thai cravings!

jason said...

I'll try :)

mama bok said...

The prices are really good.. ;) have to remember this place.. to visit too.. ;)

Precious Pea said...

ekeng: Hahaha...hmm...i like "MY DOG" better! LOL!

NJoe: Aiyooo...how can you compare Aussie Prawns with the fresh prawns here??

imbi & itchy: Do try it here cos it's only RM8.50 as compared to a much much higher price paid when I was in Chakri. Tastes as good too.

unkaleong: Do try and let me know if it's up to your standard ok?

Jason: When? We bring you there?

mamabok: Jotted into your buku 555 oledi?

wmw said...

Pretty good food and reasonably priced....and near to us!

ekeng said...

finally i went there for dinner last night..Agree to wmw..reasonable price and delicious food..especially the yellow curry river prawn..i love it.

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Bingo!

ekeng: Ooo...you went? Nice rite? Tried any soup?

Anonymous said...

Do not even bother trying My Elephant anymore. Before tonight, I would have strongly recommended it. But after the experience this evening with our reservations, I will never be going back. We arrived to find that our table had been given away to another customer. Another customer encountered the same problem despite both ourselves and them arriving on time for our respective reservations.

When we tried to query, the very rude and arrogant Soong wanted to take this 'outside'. The coward initially did not even want to come out to help calm customers like us - instead he left it to his poor staff and when insisted that he settle this, he asked the customer to go and see him!!! He then informed the other party that reservation means 'waiting list' and not necessarily that the table would be ready if other customers come ahead (even if you arrive on time for your reservation). He then informed them that they can 'get out' from the restaurant and go somewhere else. I don't expect this type of service from a fast food chain or hawker stall, let along a restaurant!!!

Precious Pea said...

Hi Anonymous,

It has been a long long time since I last visited the place. All along, my dining experience at My Elephant have been pleasant but i do notice they are getting more and more customers.

I would certainly highlight your problem to one of the bosses there.

Intan said...

I'm surprised at Anonymous' experience. I have had frequent encounters with the restaurant and the person you mentioned, and every single time he's been pleasant, cheerful, accommodating and respectful who's made each visit very pleasant.

jengkae said...

soong is my friend and i support him, ask the owner for the truth, hahhahaha, tat old man ask 2girls to get lost so he can have a table and my friend soong ask him to get lost, grumpy old man lost n send hate mail all over the food blogs

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online