Monday, November 19, 2007

Pan Mee @ Taman Sri Sentosa, Off Old Klang Road

I have always been a big fan of Pan Mee as my mum used to make it at least once a week. It was something I looked forward to whenever I know Pan Mee was being served for lunch. Now that my mum is no longer around, it became my turn to take over the kitchen, so occasionally I stilll cook it at home. I like mine torn into pieces using hand instead of the long strand using noodle machine.

A friend of mine who doesn't take Pan Mee told me one day he discovered a gem offering good Pan Mee in Taman Sri Sentosa. He said the Pan Mee is really good, but somehow, I wasn't too interested as Taman Sri Sentosa is not a place I would venture into. There is nothing wrong with this place, it's just that it sounded far to me. Then, this place was featured in a local food program in 8TV called "Ho Chak" and it looked really good. What made up my mind to give this place a try was when I read Boolicious post on it. The photo of the pan mee which she took was imprinted in my mind for the whole day so I made up my mind to make a visit the very next day.

This place is quite easy to find as it's located right in front of a wet market. There is a big signboard right in front of the shop, if not mistaken, it says 'Hand Pulled Noodle'? There are few tables outside the shop but all occupied!! Luckily there was an empty table inside. I have waited a day for this and I didn't want to wait any longer.


While waiting for our order to arrive, I saw this article from the Chinese press pasted on the wall. Before cooking the dough, it is cut into smaller pieces and handpulled to make into a long strand.

A tub of fiery hot chilli paste is placed on every table together with unlimited amount of fresh limau kasturi. Chilli is a must when I eat Pan Mee.

There are two version of Pan Mee here, either dry or soup. Hubby was so accommodative to order the dry version for me to snap a photo as he opted for soup version earlier. The delicious looking bowl of Pan Mee was loaded with minced pork, sliced wood fungus and mushrooms, fried ikan bilis, sweet potato leaves and drizzled with black sauce.


Toss toss toss the pan mee and its ready to eat but wait! Look at how long the noodle was! The black gravy was tasty. Hubby gave a thumbs up for this.


My soupy version of Pan Mee came with the same ingredients as the dry version, minus the black gravy. The ikan bilis stock was good and gave me a homemade feel; flavourful and tasty. The longer you soaked the minced pork and ikan bilis, the soup even taste much better. Not a drop wasted!


As for the noodle, I simple love it. It was smooth and silky yet retains its chewiness (QQ). The fact that it was long doesn't make it any difficult to eat. My only complain is that my small portion was too small...should have opted for big portion. Sigh...


There are also a few types of side order such as porkballs, otak otak and pandan chicken. For this round, I only get to try the porkballs which tasted pretty normal stuff that you can get from the wet market. No complain as it goes very well with our delicious bowl of Pan Mee.

The Pan Mee is not cheap though, RM4.50 for small and RM5.50 for big. Couldn't remember how much was the pork balls, but Pandan Chicken is priced at RM4 each or 3 pieces for RM10. Price is steep considering the location of this shop, but I vowed to return again for the Pan Mee and also the Pandan Chicken. As we were leaving the shop, they were frying the chicken, and oh wow...the aroma just filled the air.

Pan Mee Stall 28
Jalan Seri Sentosa 9A
Taman Seri Sentosa

Off Old Klang Road Kuala Lumpur
Tel No: 016 - 288 3911
Closed on Monday

Also check out Boolicious review on this place here. Direction to this place also available on her site.

27 comments:

wmw said...

The long noodles look had to manage actually but you said no??? Must wear bib if I'm eating at this place? Hahaha...

Kenny said...

haha.. u visit tat plc.. although its just a stone’s throw away from my house.. but i nvr try it b4.. but actually i know the owner.. the 1 selling pandan chicken was his sis.. was my neighbour.. and actually his sis and her husband own a nyonya restaurant at shah alam.. but.. sadly.. her husband jz past away few week ago by heartattack.. she cant run the business by her own.. so decide 2 sell the shop.. Hiaz.. sad..

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah..the noodle is seriously very long..unique i must say..

yes it does sound far..very far..

Precious Pea said...

wmw: You try and you will know what i mean. Very tasty!

kenny: Thanks for the info. If i live near to this place, am sure i will be there almost every day. Do go and try it, nice. Ooo..i love the fried crullers from the wet market too.

NJoe: Now that i have tried, it's not that far. Worth going!

Imbi & Itchy said...

wahhh, the noodle looked some those featured in China's makan place lah, very interesting! I also prefer my pan mee hand pulled, instead of using machine. The texture more interesting ... suddenly thick, suddenly flat hehe

Jun said...

i nvr used to like pan mee until only in recent yrs. thanks for the tip-off, now i know of another place to chk out when i go home! :D

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh I must go there for lunch today! WOW!

Precious Pea said...

imbi & itchy: We got the same taste! Even most pan mee stall use the machine to flatten the dough before using hand to tear into small pieces..even that too not as nice as flatten using own palm. This one I like cos they pull it, this creates the 'thick n think' result.

jun: When coming back? I bring you to this one and you bring my to the nice mee goreng place..deal?

bbo: Do try. Am salivating oledi reminisching the lovely bowl of Pan Mee....slurps!

MeiyeN said...

aiyo... yummy! wow da "pan mee" really long! is this place near to steven's corner?

jason said...

Old Klang Road is not that far lah... I think :P

daphne said...

argggghh..this is one dish that I totally missed!!!! Just seeing that chilli makes me drool.

~Christine~Leng said...

wow... long noodles!! Old Klang Road is not far.. Must try ;)

Precious Pea said...

Meiyen: Steven's corner is OUG oledi..go to Boo's blog, she got a very clear description on how to go to this place. Quite near if going from PJ Old Town.

Jason: Yalor..not very far so am going back again soon.

daphne: For me, even a plate of cili padi with soya sauce with a dash of lime is good enuff oledi.

Christine: Hehehe....can pass off as long life noodle hor? Now my birthday must come here oledi.

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Love pan mee. Still can't figure out where this stall is.

Jackson said...

i wan i wan!!

Big Boys Oven said...

they were close today :( closed on monday!

Precious Pea said...

luscious sista and jackson: Saturday breakfast?

bbo: So so sorry, forgot to mention they are close on Monday.

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

Oh have to try it~ nice sharing~ thank you thank you~

tigerfish said...

I like Pan Mee, esp the soup version. I have not tried any dried version though. And I like my Pan Mee with egg that I can stir my soup in to make "egg flower" instantly. :)

gourmand extraordinaire said...

I've been there before!! That place is really really good. I'm a pan mee addict myself. Add me!!! hehe. http://thelaziestchefever.blogspot.com

Precious Pea said...

alvin: Try try...very yummy.

tigerfish: I have never tried with egg but can imagine the soup will be so nice and smooth to drink.

gourmand extraordinaire: Harlow! Welcome to my blog. You tried this place before too? Good rite? Am going this weekend to get a dose of it.

Jun said...

hahaha deal! flying back on 1st. exams start next wk liao :(

Precious Pea said...

Jun: Cool, email me before you come back to exchange phone number. Give me a call when you are in KL. All the best for your exam!!

mama bok said...

I love pan mee..! what good price eh..! really envying you all in malaysia.. ;)

UnkaLeong said...

LL : Me + You = Road Trip there? Drag Pea along?

ai wei said...

slurp slurp! i wan to TRY!~

pearlie said...

Hi there!
I was recommended your blog and was soon scouring your posts to look for good stuff to savour :) By now we have been to this Pan Mee place twice already, thanks to you. I hope you won't mind me posting your photos in my blog, credits given. If you do mind, let me know and I will remove them.

Thanks and I hope to have more finds through your blog.

Blessings!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online