Tuesday, November 27, 2007

PLUS ONE SHABU-SHABU @ 1UTAMA NEW WING

Continuing with my steamboat craze, the recently opened Plus One Shabu Shabu at 1 Utama New Wing caught my attention. This non-halal steamboat outlet offers 8 kinds of soup; Pork, Sichuan Beef and Chinese Herb priced at RM8 per pot, meanwhile the rest such as Coriander & Perserved Egg, Chiu Chow, Thai Tomyum, Fish, Corn & Carrot, White Fungus Papaya and Japanese Miso are priced at RM6 per pot. However, soup is complimentary if you opt for their set which I will be explaining further later on.

Drinks such as Iced Lemon Tea, Mango and Orange Juice are free flow. Appetizers were also served free flow and it came in three varieties. The spicy marinated 'Big Head Sprouts' was not too bad. I have no idea what it is called in English so someone please enlighten me. I always find it much nicer in texture as compared to their tiny cousin, the beansprout aka taugeh.



The pickled cucumber was a big NO-NO for me. Just couldn't find words to describe the taste....just big NO-NO for me!


Fried Sweet Beancurd Sheet was our favourite. Crispy with a hint of sweetness...very nice to be eaten like it is or even when softened in boiling soup. I think we had 4 plates altogether.


Now, back to the soup. Similar to the Ketam Steamboat I posted earlier, this place also offer one-per-pot concept. I do not mind at all, cos with so many variety of soup to choose from, this way, I get to try more variety. My Pork soup was recommended in their menu. I was fascinated when I saw a big piece of pork bone simmering in my pot of soup full of corns, red dates, wolfberries as well as slices of radishs and carrots. With so many ingredients inside, how not to be sweet?


As expected, Hubby being a fan of salted veggie (Ham Choy) opted for the Chiu Chow soup. The pot came with floating pieces of tomatoes, salted veggies, yam and bitter gourd.


The price is pretty reasonable for the ala carte dishes here and I was happy cos I spotted pork stomach in the menu!! I opted for the Pork Loin Set priced at RM28. It came with a plate of mixed set and a plate of pork loin. Quite a lot for one person and it consists of prawns, fried beancurd sheet, fishballs, fish fillets, chicken, enoki mushrooms, pumpkins, chinese cabbage and Yee Mee.


The serving of pork loin was quite generous too. Really worth getting the set as I saw from the menu if i order it separately, the mixed set costs RM19 whereas a plate of pork loin costs RM18. A total of RM37 whereas I just paid for RM28 for my set.


For Monday's promotion, a plate of 4 pieces of Shrimp Dumpling only costs RM1. The fillings were not too bad, it came with one big piece of prawns. Juicy and meaty. Very good!


We decided to order a few of their recommended homemade meat balls. No regrets as they were really good. You can see that it is freshly made and not those processed version normally served for steamboat. Really homemade feel. What I like about this place is that you can either order half (4 pieces) or full (8 pieces) serving. The homemade pork balls (RM4 for 4 pieces) are filled with diced mushrooms. The Homemade Beef Ball (RM4 for 4 pieces) scored a very high mark too..bouncy and tasty. Big thumbs up from us.


I thought this was the normal homemade fish ball until I sank my teeth in. It was so BOUNCY! I have never tried anything like this before. Only then I realised, this was actually Homemade Sotong Ball (RM4 for 4 pieces)!! Really good stuff and highly recommended. I have decided that on my next visit, I will just forget the rest and feast on all the homemade meat balls.


Enoki Mushrooms priced at RM6 per servings. A favourite of mine when I have steamboat...tastewise, I don't think I need to elaborate further on this.


Dessert was complimentary but sadly, only one serving per person. We had the Mango Pudding which was absolutely wonderful; light and silky smooth. Perfect dessert to cool our body after such steamy dinner. However, after the dinner, we felt quite thirsty although Hubby and I are MSG-tolerant.


The total damage came to RM67.85 including tax and service charge. Need to compliment on their excellent service too. So, if you happen to shop in 1 Utama and have any sudden crave for steamboat, do give this place a try.

Plus One Shabu Shabu is located at:
Lot F337-338, 1st Flr (formerly World of Feng Shui)
1 Utama Shopping Centre

Also check out other review here:

32 comments:

franklew said...

i've been to this one, tried their fish soup, not bad and excellent service.

the yellow headed sprout is grown with soya beans, right? so why not called it soy bean sprout for time being,,

Big Boys Oven said...

looks really nice and delicious... still find it a bit expensive.... so when can we go for a food full steamblat lo!!

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

lately so many shabu shabu shop open hor~ very sien with shabu shabu styled already~ hmm....

tigerfish said...

When you go to Taiwan, you must try all their steamboats/hotpots. I think you will like it!

Precious Pea said...

Frank: Hahaha..thanks for commenting. I heard about their fish soup too, with bits and pieces of fried fish rite? Will try that next time. Hmm..let me google later on soya bean sprout.

bbo: This place is quite big so i guess rental is not cheap, hence the higher price charged. Where is this steamboat place you have in mind??

alvin: Actually shabu-shabu here is localised oledi. You go to wikipedia and search for it and you will know what I mean.

tigerfish: Taiwan! Taiwan! Already in my "TO GO LIST in 2008" Hahahahah! Now with a mission...HOTPOTS!!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wahlau eh..really steamboat craze..yeah the balls give u a home made feel..

looks like i really need to go to 1U la..

MeiyeN said...

whoa.. your porky soup really slurpy!!! seems like da set lunch portion we had kinda similar to yours too! i must agree with you... their balls are so darn good.. so home-made ! :D

yammylicious said...

raining... is real good to eat shabu shabu now!! sob!! hungryyyyyyyyyy~

Big Boys Oven said...

precious pea, this place serve a lot of seafood and also live seafood for steamboat, it is in serdang and we were invited, you want to join us?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

the soup must be really delicious! let's go together one day.

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Err...you arrange for the porridge steamboat ok??

meiyen: Lunch set so much more cheaper! Yep..those meatball rocks!

yammylicious: I share the same sentiment too...slurps!

bbo: Serdang?!?! Wahh...sounded so far, far, a-wayy...

lyrical lemongrass: Ok..for sista gathering??

wmw said...

Depends I suppose, you want quality, will surely have to pay a bit more. Otherwise, buffet steamboat will satisfy the hunger part for less.

jason said...

I can see there's plenty of homemade items avaialble, unlike the one I visited in Puchong which serves mostly prepacked stuffs.

Kenny said...

those home made meat ball look good... *slup*

sc said...

wow, been some time since i've been to One U..will try this the next time i'm at OneU. the soup selection and meatballs looks good..

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Yep, agree.

jason: I like the homemade meat balls cos you can actually taste the meat. Processed ones comes with other added ingredients..hehe. Do try this one....squid ball highly recommended.

kenny: Next time i go, I will only order the meatballs and nothing else.

sc: Do try..am also keen on trying other soup.

Xiu Long Bao said...

omg...the soup sure taste nice with that BIG chunk of bone!

迷迭香 said...

so much flour on the Shrimp Dumpling...
too much MSG also not a good sigh leh... XD

Jackson said...

must try one day since u recommend

Precious Pea said...

xlb: Big right??? Super excited when I saw it. Too big for my doggies though.

迷迭香: I might be wrong, but the reason so much flour on the surface of the dumpling is becos they are made in advance and the flour is to prevent them sticking together. All you have to do is to shake the excess flour off. As for the MSG, i dunno if it came from the soup or the meatballs or the appetizer. Even i am used to MSG can also feel the effect.

jackson: Sadly you always not free, if not we can all dine here together.

~Christine~Leng said...

i wanna go! ;P

daphne said...

hahha.. i think u really got the steamboat bug! but there is something really comforting about cooking and eating food like that though.

mama bok said...

Very good price.. for such good food.. :)

Precious Pea said...

Christine: All go and all can order different type of soup! Not bad idea huh?

daphne: Yes wor..and still not cured yet!

mamabok: Hehehe..i know i know...can smell your envi-ness oledi. When la..come back i bring you here.

wenching & esiong said...

Hmm... Looks like nice place to try out! We've been to Mizi Shabu-shabu in Puchong and we like that place, gonna visit this place next time then! Thanks for introducing!

teckiee said...

wahh all the steamboat.. i guessing you went to the cheras steamboat with sexy beast?

ekeng said...

wah...ur pork soup look yummy...got big pork bone and full of corn..the pork loin really caught my atttention.

Precious Pea said...

wenching & esiong: Hope you like it too.

teckiee: Sigh..sadly I got to turn down Sexy Beast over my dad's birthday dinner, which is also a steamboat dinner!!! HAHAHAHA!

ekeng: The pork bone was such an attraction rite???? First time being served soup with such big bone.

Anonymous said...

Tried this place and their new branch also at Jalan Imbi...next to Imbi Palace. bellly goood food.

yen

Anonymous said...

is this buffet steambot? Isit rm20 per person?

Anonymous said...

1 year ago, i will sing praises for this restaurant; free flow of drinks, free side-dishes & dessert too. Now, sadly, non refillable drink, no more side-dishes & worst of all, I discovered they charged more than 10% for their Service Tax.2 bad experiences this week. 1st time, they charged me 20cents more (i tot forget it 20 cents), 2nd time they charged me RM 1 more. so please be extra careful with your bills. Oh ya, they always claimed their desserts 'finish already'! & no compensation in terms of fruits/drinks. what the .... I know times are bad but dishonesty in business can get you nowhere!

Plus One Shabu Shabu said...

So yummy from your blog post for Plus One Shabu Shabu and together with such delicious photos. Do feel free give us comment at http://malaysiafood.org/plus-one-shabu-shabu/

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online