Wednesday, December 19, 2007

DU VIET @ Damansara Uptown, PJ

How time flies! The last time I visited Du Viet was few days after my wedding and that was more than 3 years ago! The reason I remembered it so clearly was because Du Viet, a restaurant specialized in Vietnamese cuisine is owned by my Hubby's pal, who also happened to be the emcee for our wedding.

When it comes to Vietnamese food, I tend to associate it with their renowned 'Pho' - flat rice noodle with clear broth. My expectation for Pho has gone very high, thanks to my uni years spent in Melbourne, a place where you can get really good and authentic Pho. I guess my palate has already accustomed to the Pho I had in Melbourne and being disappointed way too many times by the Pho available here, I somehow, never crave much for it. Well, that was until my Hubby received a call from his pal, informing him that Du Viet has now relocated from the Bangsar Village Outlet to Pavillion (renamed as La Lot) while the Damansara Jaya branch has relocated to Damansara Uptown. They also have another outlet called O Viet in Sunway Pyramid.

Since I will not be going to Melbourne this year to have my dose of Pho, I suggested to Hubby that we go pay his pal a visit. The new outlet in Damansara Uptown was opened just less than 2 weeks ago. Quite easy to find as it is located on the first floor and the entrance is right between 99 Speedmart and Izzi-Uptown.

On the way up the stairs, a big frame consisting of wooden bowls and plates of all shapes filled the wall in flowery pattern. Now I wonder if Hubby ever approve it if I do the same thing at my new house.

The deco is simple and nice. There is also a balcony dining area catered for those who opt for smoking area.

A painting of a lady in Ao Dai (Vietnamese costume) which is almost identical to Chinese Qipao except its a longer gown with a high slit in both sides which is worn over a long pant. So elegant!

I dragged WMW along too so that we can order more food. Just look at how attentive she was while studying the menu.

We each chose a special quencher. WMW opted for the house speciality; Plum in Soda (RM5.90). I had that before and it was quite refreshing. After failing to persuade Hubby to order the Fresh Egg, Soda & Cream (RM7.50), I decided to give it a try. It wasn't as bad as I thought at all. The 'fresh egg' was well blended with Soda and it doesn't have the 'raw egg taste' at all. Ahem, as for Hubby, he had the Iced Lemongrass Ginger Tea (RM5.90) which sounded like a perfect drink for someone having a cold.

We got a bit greedy and ordered three appetizers to share. The Spring & Summer Roll Combo (RM10.90) came in 3 rolls in a mixture of fried spring rolls and rice paper rolls. Personally, I find the fried version tastier; crispy and aromatic, best eaten with the accompanied Nuoc Cham (sweet-spicy fish sauce) dipping sauce. Actually, the rice paper rolls weren't too bad either but since it's filled with more bland tasting rice vermicelli, it wasn't as tasty as compared to the meat fillings in the fried version. But I tot the rice paper rolls would be perfect for those who are health conscious.

The Fried Fish Cakes or simply known as Cha Ca (RM13.90) came in 6 huge pieces of fish cakes served on a bed of fresh vegetables such as beansprouts, lettuces, basils, mints, pickled shredded carrots and rice vermicelli. The texture of the fish cakes was quite good; springy and juicy. The fish cake is slightly saltish to be eaten on its own. Therefore, it is to be eaten together with the fresh veggies to balance the saltiness of the fish cakes.

Their Pavillion outlet is named after this dish, La Lot (RM14.90) which comes with a choice of either beef or chicken wrapped with wild betel leaves (daun kadok) and grilled till perfection. Serves together with the same condiments as the fish cakes, the La Lot was sprinkled with crushed groundnuts and it was really aromatic and flavourful. It's so well marinated that I don't even need to dip it with any sauce. I like this the best among the three appetizers we had.

Hubby decided to be a little bit more adventurous that night and so he gave the Bun Bo Hue or the Hue-style Beef Noodle a try. The rice vermicelli came with tender beef fillet and brisket in spicy beef soup. Hubby didn't quite enjoy it as he said that the broth is spicy, thus, he can't really taste the sweetness of the beef broth.

WMW and I both chose to have our favourite Pho Bo Dac Biet (RM13.90) which is simply flat rice noodle (hor fun) with beef balls, briskets, tripes and fillets served with clear beef broth. It also came with condiments such as mint and basil leaves, raw beansprouts and lime. I love mine with lots and lots of basil as it really enhance the flavour of the soup.

I was quite surprised, this bowl of Pho was almost like the one I had in Melbourne. The broth was very tasty and rich in flavour. The rare beef fillet was good too and it was cooked to right perfection after being soaked in the hot soup. The flat rice noodle (hor fun) were soft and smooth. I do hope the quality will remain the same at my next visit.

This would be my very first post on Du Viet but I think I will go back to try some of their ala carte dishes. So do look out for more reviews on this place.

Operating Hours - 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily (Yes, they don't close!)

Du Viet - Damansara Uptown Outlet
41A & 43A Uptown 37

Damansara Utama, Petaling Jaya
Tel: 03-7726.8101

O'Viet - Sunway Pyramid Outlet
Lot G1.45 Sunway Pyramid
No. 3 Jalan PJS11/15 Bandar Sunway
46150 Petaling Jaya
Tel: 03-7492.0018

La Lot - Pavillion Outlet
6th Floor, Pavilion Kuala Lumpur
Jalan Bukit Bintang
Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: 03-2148-4231


31 comments:

ekeng said...

is it new? cos i never notice this before at DU? i only been to O'viet at Sunway Pyramid last time..Pho Bo Dac Biet look very delicious..i'm beef lover :)

Precious Pea said...

ekeng: Wow! You are fast! You commented within seconds after i posted! Hahaha! They are not new, Du Viet in Damansara Jaya, if not mistaken, opened since 2002.

Kenny Mah said...

Yummy... rice paper rolls... perfect for a health freak like me! ;)

You are certainly adventurous, more than me anyway. I doubt I'll try the raw egg drink though I love me my half-boiled eggs... :P

ling239 said...

the Fresh Egg, Soda & Cream o_O
wont get tummy upset after tat ? :p

ai wei said...

vietnamese food always look healthy. i wan their spring roll. and their deco is wonderful especially the one with flower pattern on wall

wenching & esiong said...

We actually pass by this restaurant in Pavilion yesterday. Will visit it next time, the spring and summer roll combo looks interesting!

Furkids in Hong Kong said...

Wow, the place and the food look equally superb!!

Must visit this place when I go to Malaysia.

Precious Pea said...

kenny mah: Near your gym, maybe can drop by for the healthy rice paper roll after working out. Hehe..can't say am adventurous, glutton maybe? The drink quite nice, I wouldn't know they put raw egg if I didn't read the menu.

aiwei: So healthy can almost eat everyday hor? I used to have Pho at least once a week but still won't go sick of it.

wenching & esiong: Do try but if not mistaken, the pricing in Pavillion is not the same as Du Viet.

furkids in hong kong: U visit Malaysia often? Let me know if you need help getting there. :)

daphne said...

that's great! Like Mel, the Pho here in Perth is wonderfully authentic (as well as Hong kong style dim sum) so it's lovely to find something like that in Malaysia too!

Jackson said...

huhuhu...the girl hiding behind the menu is so so so so so cute!!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

so the pavillion also sells the same food and maybe same price?? haha..want to try since u say its on par with melbourne pho..

team bsg said...

We have tried O viet in Pyramid and that one in DJ. Unimpressed on both occassions on mis-services both times. maybe we shud have you beside then have true service, as always and bountiful food esp with wmw on left hand side...
!
but then again Viet food is to us a pale version of Canto cuisine with traces of thai influence, and so we have no cravings ( unlike joe ) ! hahaha

Precious Pea said...

daphne: I have been to Perth, many many years ago. Not familiar with the places so we didn't know where to go for good HK dim sum :(

jackson: Cute hor? Of course la, otherwise she wouldn't be your first wife! LOL!

NJoe: I have not been to the one in Pavillion and I heard the price is higher but not sure if same menu. But like i said, the night i went, the soup was really good and hope the quality will be the same. I must go back again to check for consistency hor? Care to join me?

team bsg: I will highlight your unimpressed occasions to the boss. He did mentioned to us the other day that it's so difficult to monitor the staffs as he can't be at one outlet all the time. If you want, just join me. Hahahah!

Paprika said...

Hey, lets go check out the one in Pavilion! The few occasions that I dined at Du Viet was always enjoyable. And a lot cheaper than Sao Nam.

yammylicious said...

Pho Bo Dac Biet.. yamm yamm but viet still famous with their beef noodle soup rite? slurp!

Jason said...

For some reasons, I like Vietnamese appetizers alot. Shall drop by if I'm in either one of the area.

Big Boys Oven said...

oh ya lor, the little girl behind the menu looks so cute as jackson said......the food looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

What's your opinion, which is better - Vietname Kitchen or this place? tks

Precious Pea said...

Paprika: Speaking of Pavillion, I have not even been there yet! Since tomorrow is public holiday, I think should go and look see look see. So many things that I wanna try there. Sob Sob!

yammylicious: Yep..PHO rules!

jason: I like their dipping sauce, probably cos am a big fan of fish sauce. That reminds me to stock up my supply when i go Bangkok.

bbo: Hehehe...cute hor? Otherwise, Jackson wouldn't take her as first wife!

anonymous: It would be unfair for me to make a comparison now as it has been years since I last tried Vietnam Kitchen (back when their outlet was in SS2). Personally, I didn't like it back then but that could be due to individual preference. Perhaps it's time to revisit to see if it got better. My apologies if i didn't get to answer your question. Or maybe, you can try at both places and let me know which you prefer, ok? ;)

teckiee said...

I have eaten in O'Viet before.. quite like the place. I think I can give La Lot a try... haven been 'makaning' in Pavillion for something cos everything I tried there seems to be not up to par.

KampungboyCitygal said...

i was bugging kgboy to go, then he was like "duno nice or not, wait for floggers' review"..hehe i cant wait to go

Kenny said...

Fresh Egg, Soda & Cream.. eww.. sound.. raw.. hehe^^

Precious Pea said...

teckie: So sad larr...i have not even been to Pavilion before. So many things there that I wish to try.

Citygal: Hehehe...Kgboy so smart :) Do try it out soon.

kenny: I got the same initial reaction but believe it, it's good!

Cynthia said...

I hope the quality remains the same too. I know the importance of find the taste of food that is as good as that enjoyed back home.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind comments. Hope to see you around.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

can can! i m a willing guinea pig..kekeke

Nic (KHKL) said...

i think it's a good move from bangsar to pavillion cos everything i pass by the bangsar outlet, it's quite empty (weekend somemore)...the beef pho looks good :)

MamaBoK said...

Everything looked so yummy..!! i am truly envious of you all lah.. !

kk said...

Hi! My second visit and first comment. Luv your blog especially your precious reviews which can save me a bundle coz I luv eating out!
I luv Vietnamese fud but I have yet to find a Vietnamese restaurant that serves authentic Vietnamese "hor fun" in its Pho Bo. The pho bo that I used to have back in my school days ages ago in the States were much firm and tranparent. I miss it!:(
Cheers!

Precious Pea said...

Hi KK! Thanks for visiting my blog and to leave me a comment. :)

So true...so difficult to find a good bowl of Pho here. Probably also cos our expectation are so much higher now. Anyway, do give this place a try. But need to stress again, the nite i went, it was good.

Visu said...

hello precious pea,

what a nice review you wrote about du viet...

there's an online platform about food and restaurants known as BestFoodJunction, i think you may be interested...

would you like to write some reviews there?

ee said...

Hai there, I really like your
review, on behave of bestfoodjunction.com, we have the above review posted
on http://my.bestfoodjunction.com/du-viet-restaurant-cafe-damansara-utama/ let me know what do you think at bfjteam@bestfoodjunction.com

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online