Wednesday, December 12, 2007

MY LAST YEAR OF BEING A TWENTY-SOMETHING

Thanks to my friend for the SMS reminder on the morning of my birthday, otherwise, I would not even realised that my birthday this year would be the last year I called myself a twenty-something. Yes, am already 29! Feeling a bit sad cos I will be entering yet another double digit next year but with a 3 in front. But as long as we are young at heart, age is just a number right?

As usual, birthday celebration can't go without a feast, and knowing I love seafood the most, what could be better than a luxurious seafood meal? We decided not to travel far as we were very tired from house-cleaning the whole day and so we headed to King Crab Restaurant instead. We already knew what to order so upon reaching the restaurant, we headed straight to the live seafood tanks to choose our victim. Guess who was the unlucky one? Canadian Geoduck! A very obscene looking sea creature but believe me, they seriously tastes very very good! We choose the smallest piece in the tank which is slightly above 1kg. This thing is not cheap as it costs RM230 per kg. And the shell itself is very heavy so 1kg actually not much to eat.


Best way to enjoy Geoduck is to have it raw aka sashimi style. It is sliced thinly and served on a bed of ice.


Japanese soy sauce and wasabi are given as dipping sauce. I find this the best way to enjoy the natural sweetness of geoduck. The texture was really good. Needless to say, it was fresh and sweet. I just love chewing it slowly to let the sweet juices filled my mouth. For Geoduck, am willing to give up Abalone and Sharks Fin anytime!

For those that doesn't fancy raw food, fear not, cos a pot of superior stock will be given to cook your Geoduck. I find it wasteful to cook it in the soup as all the flavour will be released into the soup. Anyway, my dad still insist of cooking it in the soup, so I insist that we finish off the soup which is filled of the Geoduck essence. Mmmm....so tasty! My dad actually asking for vermicelli to put into the soup. *Hiding my face*


Hubby ordered a Hairy Crab for me since he knows that I love it so much. Although I just had 2 servings of it barely a week ago, how could I say no to such offer since Hairy Crab season will be over in a month's time.


Big, fat, succulent and juicy oysters were served next. Fresh from the tank, so what else can I say but FRESH?


Since my dad must have rice for dinner, we ordered a few hot dishes to complete the meal. We opted for Kam Heong Clams which was quite good. Clams were meaty and the Kam Heong sauce was aromatic. Not the best I have tasted but this dish still gained our approval.


The Stir-fry Brinjal with Minced Meat was quite good too. The spicy soy-bean gravy alone is good enough to go with rice.


Lastly, Pineapple Pork Ribs which the boys seemed to enjoy. The meat was tender and well marinated. However, I didn't quite like the big chunky pieces of pineapple tossed with the ribs. Probably just me since am not a fan of pineapple, but Hubby didn't complain though.


Hubby also bought me a birthday present, a pair of Crocs - Mickey collection. Nice?


Taking the opportunity here to thank everyone for the birthday wishes; emails, SMSes, cards, phone calls etc. Also a big thank you to WMW for getting me lovely cakes from Just Heavenly and delivered it to my house. And also Boo for the cute doggie calendar.


36 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

Great to know you had an enjoyable birthday bashe.....hehehhhe... not to worry about getting into 30, it is wonderful trust me! ...lol!

ekeng said...

29 still young what? :)
Poor Canadian Geoduck..haha :)
RM230 per kg *sigh* kinda expensive for me..but once in a full moon is ok right?

Happy Birthday to you again :)

Kenny said...

Oh, the Geoduck, saw it once years ago at the UniqueSeafood restaurant, too expensive so cant afford it.. haha^^
how it taste like actually..?

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wah 3 person also can whack so many dishes ar?? yes, i miss the geo duck also..

happy birthday once again!

Precious Pea said...

bbo: 3 is a good number hor? Hehe...ok la...seems like you are speaking from experience, so i trust you.

ekeng: I only get Geoduck on special occasion. Too pricey to indulge on normal days. I think i can easily finish off the whole plate of geoduck myself!

kenny: It's a very nice and sweet shellfish that you should try if you are a seafood person. You won't regret and if you do, give me a call, i help you finish.

NJoe: Actually, quite a lot for 3 of us. But my dad can eat a lot so he happily finish everything off. I don't mind more geoduck though. Slurps!

myCoffee said...

Wishing you a Happy Belated Birthday! :-)

Nic (KHKL) said...

love geoduck too! better than abalone or sharkfins...but prefer the shabu-shabu style cooking, though..hehe

happy belated birthday!

JOjo said...

Happy Birthday Precious Pea. I like your blog and i've linked you up here http://jojo185.blogs.friendster.com/joannas_life/
Hope you can link me up too.

anyway, don't mind your dad. I recall the first time i brought my parents to a Jap Restaurant, i need to reassure my dad for Many Many times before he could actually put the sashimi into his mouth.

I've never try Geoduck before,too expensive!How does it taste like?

chocmud said...

Precious pea. Guess better late than never. So Happy Birthday to someone young in heart.

Geoduck, strange looking creature but the taste...double thumbs up from me *drool*

Precious Pea said...

mycoffee: Thank you :)

nic (khkl): I prefer sashimi style but won't mind the soup too. Slurps! Arrr...craving for some now.

jojo: Thanks for linking my blog. Will link yours in mine later. Hehe..my dad takes his salmon sashimi with CHILLI SAUCE!!!! He said that way, less geli! *Faint*

chocmud: Thank you! How's your wedding??

tigerfish said...

Happy Birthday, young girl!
Many happy returns :)

Curious...birthday can give shoes meh?I thot it's something like a "taboo"?

MeiyeN said...

i have yet to try da geoduck! so slurpy..... yum yum! glad to hear that you enjoyed your birthday celebration.. da cros shoes of course it's nice cause i am fan of crocs shoes lol.... :D

Jackson said...

yo yo yo!! It's so nice!! When can we try??

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Now that's what I call a Birthday Feast!!! You're one lucky girl. :-) Love the cute shoes too!!! They're perfect for a bubbly person like you. :-)

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: Thank you :) Err...i dunno wor...but i know cannot buy shoe during Chinese New Year. I no pantang...give me more also i accept. Hehehe.

meiyen: I remember now that you blog about it once! I find the kiddie collection even nicer. But I cannot fit lerrr.

jackson: You mean geoduck? Ermm...next year?

luscious sista: :) Hehehe..thanks! My new year resolution now would be to fill up all the holes with cute jibbitz!!

~Christine~Leng said...

wow.. u really frequent king crab!
What a feast!
and... Nice pair of Crocs! hehe.. very cute!
Happy Birthday once again! Stay happy always!! ;)

tankiasu said...

Happy belated birthday mate! ;-)

wmw said...

Glad you had such a wonderful dinner on such a tiring day! You're most welcome!

Imbi & Itchy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ivy! Everytime you go King Crab, I salivate (sob sob) No kaki ... hope to go soon. And BTW, your CROCS is so COOL :-)

New Kid on the Blog said...

yo... all these make me crazy....

Precious Pea said...

christine: Thank you and Happy Birthday to you too! Hehe..i like my Crocs..very comfy and cool!

tankiasu: Thank you :)

wmw: Actually we ate like zombie that night. We had our dinner almost 9 something...so so so tired.

imbi & itchy: Thank you. Go try our King Crab but do go on weekdays as it's not so crowded and food quality also better. Well, that is based on my experience.

ling239 said...

din know geoduck can go sashimi style.... :p
love ur croc ~ ^_^
the clip-ons are so cute...

Precious Pea said...

nkotb: Hehehehe.

ling239: Thanks! Love my croc so much. :)

Jason said...

Happy Belated Birthday sister! Sorry for the late wishes but glad that you enjoyed your birthday bash ;)

Simon said...

Happy Birthday to you precious pea (shouldn't have use precious pea, sounds like refering to your pet dog) I'll be reaching the big 30 too in two years time.

The geoduck really looks tasty must be full of texture when you bite in it. I may have to save up 1 year of money to eat it.

Haven't eat hairy crab this year since the season started. Sigh, the season ending soon.

Wish you all the best.

Simon said...

By the way, I have the same Crocs. Bought them in Hong Kong last year but mine don't have the clip on.

Precious Pea said...

jason: Better late than never ma. Thank you :)

Hi Simon! Thanks for visiting my blog and the birthday wish. Same croc? Hehehe..go and decorate yours. Those jibbitz are available at all croc shop and even in Parkson Paviilion.

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

Never try Geoduck sashimi before la~ feel so jealous~ hahaa in fact expensive!

MamaBoK said...

Happy belated birthday..PP..!! so happy for you .. had so much good food.. ;)

Precious Pea said...

alvin: Try try...get a group of friend to share the cost then not expensive.

mamabok: Thanks mamabok!

ai wei said...

happy happy belated birthday to you! i love ur croc. cute but minus that reptile-like-thingie :P

Precious Pea said...

ai wei: Thank you :) Hehehe...i find the cicak the most outstanding of all cos of the colour. Hahaha..but hopefully, it won't attracts any real cicak on my croc!

Coketai said...

Happy Belated birthday....really late birthday wishes!! Anyway late better than never come!

Wow!! I jealous you still can blame coming to 30, you know what I wish I can blame myself being into 30...anyway, enjoy yourself and forget about the "30"!!!

LY.Tai

Precious Pea said...

coketai: Thank you, better late than never :) Hehehe...no la..not 30 yet, still 29 only. Will try to enjoy to the max on my last year being a 20-something!

a feast, everyday said...

Happy belated birthday! 29 is still a baby lah...enjoy!

Precious Pea said...

droolteam: Hehehe...hubby said am a big baby :) Thanks!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online