Saturday, January 19, 2008

CHARCOAL FRIED NOODLES @ Sun Yen Restaurant, Sec 17

Ever since I discovered the Charcoal Hokkien noodle at Sun Yen Restaurant in Section 17, which I blogged about a couple of weeks ago, I made my way back twice to see what more they got to offer. I was told that there are only 3 types of noodle available here: Loh Mee, Cantonese-style and Hokkien style.

Our Loh Mee or fat yellow noodle in starchy broth is priced at RM4 per serving. Loh Mee is always served with black vinegar to give the broth a bit more of 'oomphh'. Sadly, I was disappointed with the Loh Mee that night as it tasted bland and salt-less. We have to keep adding soya sauce and vinegar to make it tastier. I am not sure if it usually tastes the same or just my luck but one thing for sure, Hubby gave a big no-no so I guess we will not order this ever again.
Loh Mee

I ordered the Cantonese-fry Kuey Teow and Meehoon (Yin Yong Kwong Foo Chau) on my second visit and that actually enticed me to make another visit 3 days later. This definitely got our votes. It was so aromatic and even before we tasted it, the aroma and 'wok hei' already filled the air. The flat rice noodles was tossed with oil and soya sauce while the meehoon was fried till crispy before starchy broth with slices of pork, pork liver and prawns poured onto the noodles. I just love the egg mixture half cooked oozing on the noodle. Priced at RM4 per serving, one can opt for Kuey Teow, Meehoon, Yee Mee or a combination of two types of noodle.
Cantofried

While I had the Hokkien Mee on my first visit, I decided to try Hokkien Meehoon Mee (RM4 per serving) this time. It came out a bit dry as the meehoon soaked up the gravy. Didn't quite enjoy this combination as I think it would be better if I order Mee with Kuey Teow. But I also have another reason why we don't find this Hokkien Meehoon Mee any big deal that night. That is because the Canto noodle served earlier outshone the Hokkien noodle.
Hokkien


Sun Yen Coffeeshop is located at:
947 Jalan 17/38 (Corner Shop, same row as 7-Eleven)
46400 Petaling Jaya, Selangor


16 comments:

wenching & esiong said...

The loh mee looks quite good but too bad it didn't taste good.

daphne said...

Cantonese Kuey Teow is one of my ultimate fav dish! It's quite hard to get the balance right so looks like u found a good one there. The eggy sauce and the seafood plus "wok hei" hor fun. THUMPS UP!

Jun said...

the last pic sure looked deceivingly yummy. if i hadn't read wat u wrote, i'd have ordered it the next time i go thr *phew!*

Hazza said...

aah...my favourite hokkien mee stall again! I cant decide if its my favourite because of nostalgic reason (I grew up there!) or if it was really that good. I dont often have mee/meehoon mix because the mee usually end up less cooked because the meehoon cooks so quickly. Or if the mee is cooked, then the meehoon becomes too soft or soggy. I never had loh mee before from him, but I think I'm probably not missing much, from your description. Do you know this restaurant much? I was wondering whatever happend to the chow kueh teow stall that was there in the early 90s. That was one of the best ckt I ever had.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

put lots of zhu yu char then can d..

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Hahaha...the Hokkien Noodle got lots of zhu yu char.

hazza: I seldom go to this restaurant, especially in the morning cos getting a parking space is a nightmare! But i do know the braised duck and wild meat are popular during lunch time. Their wan tan mee also not too bad but never heard about the char kuey teow.

jun: Order just mee or kuey teow with mee. Meehoon big no-no.

daphne: Exactly. Most places either the noodle fragrant gravy bland or noodle bland gravy fragrant. This place so far, got it right :)

wenching & esiong: Yalor..looks so good right? Saltless :(

team bsg said...

Guess only the Ulu fella in Yam can do magic on loh mee ...
but dunno if this shop is the corner one near old sentos cinema ?

Nic (KHKL) said...

love the yin yeong drenched in that starch sauce...and with wok hei, it's a sure winner! hhmmm, i would have ordered "what done whore" though..hehehe...

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

looks so delicious all the food!! I see a lot of prawn also! Yummy!

ling239 said...

the watt-tan-hor looks good too ~ ^_^

kampungboycitygal said...

the charchoal dai chou word is so deceiving..glad tat i read on..haha

tigerfish said...

Is the second one Hor Fun? I love this kind of wok fry slightly wet kuey teow and bee hoon. Yum!

mama bok said...

Looks awesome..!!

Precious Pea said...

mamabok: Yeah :)

tigerfish: Yes, it's Wat Tan Yin Yong. Very tasty!

kampungboycitygal: The word 'charcoal' really a value-added nowadays. ;)

ling239: Tastes as good too!

alvin: They quite generous with the meat and prawns. Best of all, no cheapo fish cakes.

nic (khkl): Wuaahahaha...new term eh??? Sounded so vulgar though. Hahaha!!

team bsg: Correct! This is the corner shop, same row as 7-Eleven.

Jason said...

My reaction will be: "So excited to see the noodle swimming in the eggy sauce... Can't wait to attack it!" :p

Val said...

"Fei Loh" has moved yet again. How he is at the end coffee shop that is along the "wai sek kai"

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online