Tuesday, January 15, 2008

CHATUCHAK - Eat Eat Eat!!

Continuing with my post on Chatuchak market, initially I intended to complete it in a single post featuring the food and shopping. It turned out I took quite a fair bit, ok, I mean HEAPS of photos so I thought it would be better to split it into two posts.

For someone like me who loves dogs, shop and food, where should I go to get everything under one roof? Chatuchak of course! Food is abundant here. Everywhere you go, regardless which section you go to, you will sure find food at every single corner. From heavy meals such as rice and noodle to sweet and savoury snacks, one can really be spoilt with choices.

Neatly arranged skewers of sausages and various types of meatballs are the most common sight at the market. If not mistaken, only RM1 to RM 2 per skewer.
u


The fried stuffs neatly arranged in Styrofoam boxes but I don't think I would want to stuff myself with french fries and fried spring rolls when there are so much more yummies available at the market.
t


Beware! For those with high cholesterol problem, a box of this innocent-looking fried quail eggs is highly hazardous to your life. Really curious to know how it tastes like.
r


Mountain after mountain of different types of fried noodles, similar to our local economy noodle cooked with only cabbages, choy sum and beansprouts.
h


I spotted a lady heating up her huge wok and started cracking in eggs one after another. I lost count on the number of eggs she put inside. I didn't stay long enough to see her whip up a dish of oyster omelet.
g


I remembered I saw this type of corn in Tesco before and if not mistaken, they are called Glutinous Corn. Have no idea if this is from the same variety. Actually am asking myself now, how come I didn't give this a try?!?! *kicking myself now*
w


After walking around under a hot scorching sun, we stopped by at a drink stall to get something cold to drink. Spotted this green stuff called Gotu Kola which is made from a type of leaves. Should be good for the body since it looked thick and full of chlorophyll. It's true that good stuffs seldom tastes good. This drink tasted 'green' and too sweet for my likings.
v


Interesting! A barrel of shaved iced covered with cendol and strips of jackfruit. Upon order, the lady will scoop it into a smaller cup.
i


Something caught our attention, a stall full of reddish and luscious-looking barbequed pork ribs. Spotted this man dipping the meat into the gravy to give it a shiny coat.
q


The ribs are sold by weight at RM3 per 100 gram approximately 7 - 8 small pieces. It was good. It was well marinated and tasty and most surprisingly, it was quite tender too. It would have been even better if the ribs were eaten warm.
p


Mini cream puffs! I tried this during my last visit and I loved it so much. This time we bought from a different stall since I couldn't remember where I got it from the last visit. It was light and fluffy and this one was bit more buttery aroma. Love it!
o


For a proper meal, I spotted this stall called Boat Noodle located near the main entrance, at the household items area. This stall is quite big as compared to the rest and I noticed a steady stream of people queuing to get a spot to sit. Quite interesting as there are two GIGANTIC-sized wok of soup bubbling right in front of the stall. At the side you will find different types of meat such as pork, beef, offals, balls and etc.
n


Not knowing how to order, we just told them we want BEEF and MEEHOON soup! While waiting, I notice the Thais love to snack on fried pig's skin. I remembered I accidentally tried it once when I was in Chiang Mai and it wasn't too bad. Almost like eating fish cracker, only that this piggie version is more aromatic.
m


Waited quite long for our noodles to come but it was worth the wait. My bowl of vermicelli came with lots of tender beef slices, a bouncy beef ball, soft liver (which I passed it over to Hubby) and kangkung. The soup was amazingly good; rich and spicy. Having this bowl of spicy noodle under such hot weather is almost like eating ice-cream during cold winter. SYIOK!!
j


For dessert, I bought a box of Thai version of Kuih Lapis to try. Thailand is famous for their good quality glutinous rice so I was also putting up high expectation on this kuih made from glutinous rice flour. It didn't fail to impress me as this was the best kuih I ever eaten to date. I am sure there are no artificial colouring added as the white layer was rich with coconut milk flavour while the green layer tasted what it was supposed to taste like - Pandan! The texture was amazing - chewy and gooey yet not sticky. I finished up the whole box (quite a big portion) and I don't feel bloated at all. Even Hubby who refused to try at the beginning gave his thumbs up after I forced him to give it a bite.
k


I found that apart from real food, they also sell fake food made of plastic. What I mean by that? See if yourself at this picture below.
u

Coming up: Chatuchak ~ SHOP SHOP SHOP!

29 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

my my..it is alot of food..but u surprisingly controlled urself very well wor..alot of items u take pics only mah..

celine said...

Makan makan, slurp slurp...

Christy said...

wow....very interesting and unique food in Thailand!:D

Nic (KHKL) said...

no wonder you spent so many hours there! yeah, the quail eggs look cute but i thought it was rather normal. they only used the takoyaki pan to mould it..that's all lor...the daun pegaga drink is nice, right? i had 2 cups! and also the mandarin orange drink! haiz, wished i could go again this weekend...haha!

xiu long bao said...

omg...mountains and moutains of food!!! i also wana go :I

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

we gave the place a miss when in Bangkok bc we were told we'd melt there but now i sure regret not going!tt kuih lapis is making me drool. hey, glutinous corn is what we love here in KK.u must try it. its not too sweet, has a smooth sticky texture n yummy aroma.

Precious Pea said...

terri: Aikkss!! WHAT A WASTE! Do visit Chatuchak on your next visit. Surprisingly my 2nd visit wasn't as hot as my 1st visit, that explains why i wasn't too grumpy although I walk for more than 7 hours. Glutinous corn specialty of KK?? Ok...am coming to KK to try!!

xlb: Make a trip up North for holiday before going down South to work? ;)

nic (khkl): But does it tastes like normal fried egg?? Er..didn't like the pegaga juice..it was so thick and is it supposed to be so sweet?

christy: Yeah...new discovery each time i go :)

celine: Slurps! Slurps!

NJoe: I had a hearty breakfast at the hotel before going to the market. And also...err...i very picky when it comes to public toilet. Tried not to drink or eat to much to avoid going to toilet. Hehehe...although I was careful with my food intake..still came back with tummy upset. But then..well worth it la. Hahahaha!

yammylicious said...

gosh!!!! thr's darn alot of FOOD! and DARN ALOT!!!! i saw the familiar corn in isetan.. but ALMOST black corn.. and ispricey 2 rentong corn cost around 15bucx!
so hungry....

Imbi & Itchy said...

the good thing about chatuchak is, it is soo huge and you walk so much, therefor makan kau-kau also won't feelg guilthy hehe. i want the cream puff leh, sooo cute and small and fluffy looking. i also want the fried pig's skin leh ... i tried them in ibu oka when in bali,sooo sinful and good!

ling239 said...

fake food made of plastic... o_O
for display ? eeeeeee

Precious Pea said...

ling239: I guess they are for those restaurants to display their goodies, just like those fake japanese food they use for display.

imbi & itchy: Exactly! Burnt a lot of calories that day. Hehehe..somemore came back with food poisoning, lagi lost a few pounds.

yammylicious: RM15!!!???!! WOW!! I think RM15 in Bangkok you can get the whole basket! Really stupid of me of not giving it a try. Grrr..

Big Boys Oven said...

this is superb!

applesamanthalee said...

so tempted! How I wish tmr is the day I can fly to BKK~! I hv read ur previous posts about chatuchak/BKK & had the urge to go there. Therefore I have already booked my BKK flight ticket! muahaha......

Hazza said...

you'd need to stay there for 2 weeks to sample all that! then you'll have to see a diet doctor after that! Btw, what were those fake foods made of?

teckiee said...

i miss JJ market too! ...and how come i didnt see the plastic food? hahahahhah so funny!

wenching & esiong said...

Wow, such a large variety of food! They all look so new to me, I haven't been to Thailand before. Seems so interesting!

Jackson said...

You EAT EAT EAT,
I HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY

Precious Pea said...

Jackson: One solution, GO GO GO!

wenching & esiong: There are lots more food but impossible for me to snap each and every of them.

teckiee: Those plastic food must be for restaurant to put it up as sample. This stall not at the food area...i cannot even remember where cos the place is so big!

hazza: 2 weeks? I don't think I can eat like that for 2 weeks. Sure throw up by the 5th day. Too much good food also not good. Not advisable...hehe.

applesamanthalee: Really? When are you going? Actually not only you, after doing some proof reading of my current post and drooling at the photos, I also went and booked another ticket to Bangkok for next month. HAAHAAHAA!

bbo: :) Heaven!

Jason said...

Yay, I'm going there again in July! Chatuchak never fails to impress me :)

Paprika said...

wah kudos to you! When I was in Chatuchak, I couldn't focus on anything but shopping and the heat! I did manage to eat those delicious mini-cream puffs thougH! Very dangerous as they are so small, I kept popping them into my mouth and ended up finishing the bag all by myself! Yikes! Those ribs look really good!

PureGlutton said...

Hi...your pics brought back lots of salivating memories! I was there last year...it was sooo hot and then it started raining. The market is so huge - i don't think i covered the entire place! :-)

Precious Pea said...

Jason: Am sure you will eat till drop!

paprika: Surprisingly it wasn't too hot this time. In fact, it was quite windy. Oh yes, those cream puffs are addictive. Must be high in butter content.

pureglutton: I think if you really want to cover each and every stall, a day would not be enuff. The first time we went, we cannot stand the heat, ended up we went JJ mall to enjoy some air-cond.

ai wei said...

slurp slurp! so many nice food! i tried those glutinous corn before in china. it was quite a nice one. tasted like the glutinous rice. hehe.

that was a nice trip u had e! wanna have a trip to Bangkok!!!

~Christine~Leng said...

thai food crawl! interesting and fun! :)
plastic food?? din see that before wo.. ;P

tigerfish said...

Whoa...look at the huge pile of economy bee hoon. Did not know the Thais have that too. I thought only in Malaysia and S'pore. :D

Precious Pea said...

aiwei: I so so regret that i didn't try. Why oh why my glutton bug didn't strike me that day leh?? aiii...

christine: If make a stop at every stall sure eat till drop!

tigerfish: Hahaha..this is my first time seeing such noodle too.

Crunchasarus Rex said...

I so missed .. BangKok..!!

aim said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

u know , u r 1 of the great photographer .....

mom luvs the food that u had taken the pictures....

especially fried sausages and fried pork ball

and also the beef noodles...

i really appreciate that u like Thailand....

applesamanthalee said...

Soon. It's in June ^^

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online