Wednesday, February 20, 2008

CHIEM CHOO SEAFOOD RESTAURANT @ KLANG

Before moving into our new house, Hubby and I rarely venture into Klang or Shah Alam for food. But since we are so near to this two areas now, it's about time for us to do some food hunting. I spotted a few seafood restaurants on our way to Klang Carrefour and I was really eager to give them a try. Our first discovery was Chiem Choo Seafood Restaurant which draws a rather impressive crowd, both weekdays and weekends.

Hubby was given the responsibility of ordering our food, reason being, people here seems to be more fluent in either Hokkien or Mandarin. Perhaps it's time to brush up my Mandarin now.

Hubby did a good job as the first dish served was simply delicious. An easy dish to prepare as the squid was blanched and then drizzled with fried garlic oil (RM15). It was cooked to perfection, bouncy and sweet!
ChiemChoo4

It goes really well with the accompanied plate of grounded hot and sour green chilli paste. I like the way the tentacles curl upwards to the body which creates an extra crunch to it. Simple yet so delicious!
ChiemChoo5

The aromatic Oyster Omelette (RM10) was pretty good too. I like it cos it wasn't too starchy and the edges were fried till golden brown. Although the oysters were plump and juicy, I wasn't too happy with its fishy taste. Hubby said it was good, so he happily finished off the oysters while I attacked the egg.
ChiemChoo3

First lesson learnt: Never order prawns during the Chinese New Year period cos what you get are frozen prawns kept way before the festive season. The Salted Egg Prawns (RM20) was a big disappointment as the head was soft and the meat was not sweet and not bouncy at all. Anyway, the salted egg coating was not too impressive either, so this is a dish that I will skip!
ChiemChoo2

Second lesson learnt: Never ever order fish during the Chinese New Year except if you see them still swimming in the tank. Otherwise, you will get tasteless frozen fish (I saw a lot of frozen seafood in their big freezer). The Deep Fried Red Snapper (RM60) was over-fried. We had a hard time 'tearing' the skin apart and once we get to the flesh, it was soft and mushy. We suspected that they knew this fish is not fresh, hence, they over-fried it to keep everything intact. Bad bad bad. Luckily we didn't have it steamed.
ChiemChoo1


2 memorable dishes versus 2 total disappointment dishes. Will I ever come back? Answer is a big YES! Cos their signature noodle, Hokkien-style Tapioca Noodle (RM9) is a to-die-for!! When it was served, I gave a frowning look cos the presentation was not impressive at all. Once I put one spoonful into my mouth, I was like WOW! Seriously good! The noodle has a nice chewy (QQ) and bouncy texture. As I mentioned, the Tapioca Noodle was cooked Hokkien-style, so yes, that means lots of crispy lard too! What I like most is that they put in leek instead of cabbage, which further enhanced the taste of the noodle. I would need to revisit after the Chinese New Year to see if they still put leek into the dish. Am salivating while reminicsing the taste of the noodle now. Droolz...
ChiemChoo6

Please do not ask me the location of this place but refer to the location map attached below as I still have no idea which part of Klang this place is located. Otherwise, I may lead you there (from my house) and all you have to do is to buy me a plate of the yummy Tapioca Noodle all for myself. *Grin*
ChiemChoo7

Chiem Choo Seafood Restaurant is located at:
Lot 236, Jalan Sg Putus, Batu Belah
42100 Klang, Selangor
Tel: 03-3342 0058
Daily 11.30 p.m. - 2.45 p.m.; 5.30 p.m. to 11.00 p.m.

22 comments:

kennymah said...

Ooh... Tapioca Noodles ala Hokkien Mee. Delish! I'm salivating right now, man...

As for the couple of dismal dishes, thanks for the lessons. In fact, one of my friends have advised me to always order fish steamed cos if the cook is reluctant to prepare it that way, it prolly means the fish isn't fresh.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

i will buy you two plates, even three, of tt yummy tapioca noodles if you lead me there! the squid looked really really good, n i love fresh baby oysters with eggs, which we don't get in KK. you really "sig sig" (good at eating).n thanks for hearing me out *hughug*

Precious Pea said...

kenny: The noodle really good leh...so full of wok hei. Slurps! Am thinking of getting a dose of it tonite. Hahaha! Thanks for the tips! I shall stick to fish swimming in the tank from now on.

terri: Awww...so sweet. If you come pay me a visit, i bring you there. Am not greedy, a plate of noodle will do. But do throw in a plate of squid and a plate of crabs too! Hehehe! No problem, do email me if you ever encounter such problem again ok?

Nic (KHKL) said...

ya lor, like that they called salted egg prawns ar?? boo hoo...but that fried hokkien tapioca noodles looked really good...maybe cos it appeared dark and DRY! wah, can smell the lard from here...hehehe...

Anonymous said...

This is not the best tapioca noodles in Klang, the best is at Boston Restaurant. (think Jackson mentioned it before). By the way, at the opposite road, same row as Seven Eleven & 99 cent Mart, there is a Chinese aka Thai Restaurant (Baby Seafood).. their food is super good & super cheap! These 2 restaurants are frequently mostly by the locals so you'll need to wait (sometimes for ages) to get your food.. :)

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh those tapioca noodle looks really good! Those dishes looks fantastic! heheheh we now get to read more food from klang! well done!

ling239 said...

is it the season of red snapper ?
i had had that three times in a week now... >.<"

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I'm salivating at the green chilli paste and the juicy oysters. Good thing you put a map. I have an idea where this is. Thanks!

Kavi said...

Fren... the squid and the tapioca noodle really looks yummy, you know the type that i like. When are we going?... No prob, i can buy you even 2 or 3 plates of the noodle.

yammylicious said...

the squid drive mii crazeeee! omg!! so cute!!!!!!! and i wan to pop thm into my mouth!

Precious Pea said...

nic(khkl): Barely any salted egg taste. Major disappointment! Tapioca noodle..yum yum! Can almost taste it in my mouth now.

anonymous: I went there last Saturday and it was super packed and many people were waiting outside. So i ended back at Chiem Choo again. Consulted Jackson and he told me some of the must order dishes. Will try it out soon, perhaps, weekdays will be better ( hope)! Will check out Boston too :) Thanks for your recommendation.

bbo: Yalor...more to Klang food oledi. But give me some time, still tryin to familiarise with Klang area. ;)

ling239: I have no idea, but maybe 'red' snapper is popular during Chinese New Year i guess.

luscious sista: Eh? You going? Yourself? Not inviting? Your sista here?

kavi: One plate cukup oledi but can i also order crabs and lobsters and abalone and and and and and....

yammylicious: Cute right? Still wonder how they do it.

jason said...

Yay, now we get to explore Klang more! Seriously, I've been wanted to try some tapioca noodles ever since I read about them in Flavours but doesn't know where to find it.

wmw said...

Tapioca noodles Hokkien style : Wah I chiak!!!! hehehe..(I want to eat!)

Jacelyn Chew said...

actually it's not advisable to eat out during CNY.

Jackson said...

hehe... i tried the seafood at Chien Choo too but turn out not so good.. so next time just try their tapioca noodle and also the "Oyster Mee Sua"

Precious Pea said...

jason: Come come, i bring you to Chiem Choo!

wmw: Shall we organise a trip there? Can try out the restaurant opposite this place which is highly recommended!

jacelyn: True true. More expensive and things also not that fresh.

jackson: Have you tried their vinegared pork leg? Looks good though. Maybe should try meat dishes next time.

Lim said...

Yes, definitely try Baby Seafood and Boston Baru...........
Another must try is the Fried Pork Ribs near the Klang Bus station, tender juicy ribs..........if you wanna go for a food trail, do drop me a line as i stay near Baby Seafood........

Cokeworld Citizen said...

wah...semua orang makan sedap sedap....

hmmm tapioca noodles...penang is a state full of hokkien ppl but i dun think i'd seen it anywhere :P

mama bok said...

Too bad the prawns and the fish.. which were the most ex.. weren't.. good.. :(

New Kid on the Blog said...

everything looks good!!!

Precious Pea said...

lim: Ok Ok..thank you so much for your recommendation. Will definitely try out all the places you recommended. I think i will start with baby seafood as it's always packed whenever i pass by the shop!

cokeworld: Maybe Klang hokkien is different from penang hokkien??

mamabok: Yah..cheap food tastes better! Haha!

nkotb: It does but sadly some look nice but tastes awful :(

Seafood Restaurant Melbourne said...

Oh those tapioca noodle looks really good! Those dishes looks fantastic!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online