Monday, February 25, 2008

LATE NIGHT (EARLY MORNING?) SUPPER IN BANGKOK

Last weekend was spent in Bangkok, a continuation from our trip last month which we couldn't manage to bring back more stuffs for our new house, due to the huge and heavy Buddha wood carvings we bought. We departed on Friday night after work and came back on Sunday evening. A very short and tiring trip which focused mainly on Chatuchak Weekend market. Our flight which was scheduled to depart at 8.30 p.m. was delayed for 2 hours. Hubby turned grouchy as our plan for dinner and massage after checking into our hotel turned impossible. We arrived in Bangkok at 12 a.m. and it took another 40 minutes to reach our hotel called Samran Place. My tummy was yelling out for FOOD and I was glad to know Hubby's too! So off we went in search for food and right in front of our hotel, we saw a number of brightly-lit hawker stalls, one of which I have tried in my previous visit. It was also the reason I requested Hubby to book into Samran Place as this hotel is surrounded by food heaven.
IMGP3914

This is my favourite stall manned (or should it be womaned?) by a young and pretty lady. Trust me, her braised pork trotters really rocks! It was late, hence, nothing much left to choose from but if you are early, you will see chunks after chunks of pork trotters displayed on the metal sieve together with braised pork intestines, eggs and kailan.
IMGP3915

The condiments that goes really well with the pork trotter rice; hot & sour chili sauce, bird's eye chilies and mini garlics. The bird's eye chilies numbs your tongue with just one tiny bite! But it was super addictive and by the end of the meal, I realized I had 5 pieces. The last visit I had only 4! Needless to say, I ended up with a numb tongue, senseless lips and continuous hissing sound.
IMGP3918

At only 40 baht (approximately RM4), this plate of rice was full of goodness and comforting to our empty stomach. Tender pork, crunchy kailan, fluffy white rice, tasty gravy and runny yolk egg. One word: HEAVEN!
IMGP3919

It was so good, we had it two nights in a row. We went early on the second night, hence I get to request for something really sinful: the SKIN! Ooohh..don't you just love the picture of the runny egg yolk?
IMGP4023

Being greedy and feeling for something soupy, I ordered a bowl of noodle soup from the next stall. Big big mistake. I wanted clear noodle soup with pork balls but was served chicken drumstick noodle with murky broth instead. And it was heavily laden with sugar. I noticed that the Thais enjoy adding sugar into their soup but totally a big no-no for me. Thanks to Hubby, he finished off the noodle and claimed it wasn't that bad after adding in a spoonful of chilli flakes.
IMGP3923

To quench our thirst, we walked into 7-eleven and I got myself a bottle of Melon Sherbet Mirinda! Verdict? SUPER YUMMY!!!
IMGP3924

More food to feast your eyes in my next post so stay tuned!!


30 comments:

ling239 said...

the pork trotter rice looks really good... must not miss out the skin lar ^_^

kennymah said...

I've heard of sweet broth before, but actually adding SUGAR to soup? That's something new. Maybe that's why the Thais are such sweet, friendly folks? Hehe.

Jun said...

wah lau... i think u're the only person i know who goes to THAILAND to buy things for the HOUSE *LOL*

tigerfish said...

The stall opens 24 hrs? or just night to morning. Good that you still can find something to eat so late. And the braised pork really looks good leh.

Nic (KHKL) said...

good choice! i stayed at samran place too in jan...so much street food there! i like the beef noodle right in front of the 7-11...they open til 1+, i think...til now havent posted mine yet (malu nyer!)....

humblebee said...

Will be going to Bangkok in April for holiday and I plan to stay at Samran Place. What do you think of the hotel? Btw, love the pictures...yummy!

wmw said...

The egg with the slightly runny yolk looks lovely! I agree....

Cokeworld Citizen said...

hohoho i luv thai braised food...they taste superlicious...i can wallop 3 drumsticks (in pg they sell chicken wan)...

omg!! those are perfect boiled eggs!!! hard boiled eggs are suppose to be like that not hard eggyolks with greyish ring :S

thumbs up for the lady.

Jackson said...

Now u r the Bangkok Queen!! the food makes me wanna go back to BKK!

catsndogs said...

sawadeekup .... Samsan definately is a nice place to stay. not a very 5 star yet not like 2 star hotel. u do really a babgkok shoppin queen indeed :P

Precious Pea said...

ling239: Yalor..eat trotter without skin might as well don't eat hor?

kenny: Yes, they love sugar. At each table you will find a bottle of fish sauce, sugar and chili flakes. And you will see them putting in all the condiments (including sugar) into their soup. As for me, i only stick to the fish sauce.

Jun: Don't laugh leh....i tell you, it's so much cheaper and nicer than in KL. Plus can get our passport 'stamped' also ma, not cheap to renew passport so better make sure all pages are filled! LOL!

tigerfish: If not mistaken, the stall is open from evening till early morning. Yeah, such a great relief that food still available.

nic: There is another great beef noodle shop on the left side of the hotel. It's really good and i had three bowls of noodle in 2 days! They are featured in their local paper too! Will blog about it soon.

humblebee: Highly recommended!

wmw: Nice hor? Slurps!

cokeworld citizen: Not easy to achieve hard boiled egg like this. It requires perfect timing and water temperature. I still have not even mastered making the perfect half boiled egg...sigh!

jackson: Waahh..another royal title for me? Hahaha!! Wait for my next post..i took pic of the chicken wings, specially for YOU! ;)

catsndogs: I love Samran too...so much good food around. The hotel itself not too bad, although not poshy but it's really clean and cheap!

Live2Talk said...

I really salute u my friend, the last time I went, we dare not try any of the stalls near Samran :( only during the last nite, we tried the oyster egg near the BTS station!

jason said...

I can't wait for my next trip in July ^^
*Chatuchak Chatuchak*

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Have yet to go to BKK. I think I need to bring you along to show me the best places to eat. Wanna go? ;-)

Big Boys Oven said...

such a wholesome dinner, even how tired I am, I will still wallop until I am too full, why? the food looks great!

Rasa Malaysia said...

Got your comment about prawn shells...remember the key is the head. Once you try home-cooked prawn mee, you don't want to eat out. Plus the prawn mee in KL/PJ are not that great to start with. ;)

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

i love sour chili padi dips, n ur pic makes me drool. my HK friend loves Thai pig's 'hands' rice too but i could only find it in food courts n it wasn't good.where is this stall? i hate sugar-flavored soup noodles too.

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: The best place to eat when you travel, is where the local eats! You need some training in this area...hahaha...faster, bring me tea and call me 'sifu'!

Jason: Hehehe..February almost over oledi, 4 months plus to go..

lyrical lemongrass: When when when?

bbo: Sigh, you guys had a blast on Saturday too. I have seen those lovely mouth watering photos which I missed. Sniff!

rasa malaysia: Thanks for the tips! Hopefully I can whip up a fiery bowl of prawn mee soon and will surely blog about it. Your recent photo of the kar liew har mee is killing me lerrrrr!!

Terri: This stall is along Petchburi Rd. Landmark is opposite Samran Place Hotel, on the left. It is near to the overhead bridge.

daphne said...

oh my goodness, streetfood! and it looks so yummy too! saliva...

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i cant wait for my trip too!!

team bsg said...

to us de Thailand food experience is 2 classes above KL/Malaysia coz for

1... we can down singha beer with satay with girls galore ,

2... everybody else is happily doing it !

Its the real "authentic & unpretentious" Glutton Zone of the World beating Malaysia by 1000 years maybe more so cheers to you and partner(s)

Precious Pea said...

daphne: Street food so much better than classy restaurant food rite??

NJoe: Am sure you will enjoy it too, ermm, but do you take street food ar?

team bsg: 2 classes? Make it 5! Everything so cheap and tasty! Nowadays KL's hawker food not cheap anymore.

UnkaLeong said...

:'(
Khau Kah Moo...
Oh...How I miss you...
Hahaha, my feeble attempt at poetry.

*folds arms in jealousy, runs and hides*

ai wei said...

Yummy food again in Bangkok!!! but could only drool n salivate in front of comp... sobz

Simon Seow said...

Oh my, oh my. Street food in Bangkok seems to beat the one in KL anytime. Ok, you've convinced me to save money for Bangkok.

mama bok said...

Wow..!! so envy..!

Emily.T said...

Hi, I've read reviews from travellers saying that Samran Place do not provide hot water for shower, is it true? Please let me know, I'm thinking to book this place for my trip in Dec. Thanks!

By the way, I really enjoy reading your blog! I'm your #1 fan! *blush* ^^

Precious Pea said...

Hi Emily!

My time to blush now and thanks for being a regular to my blog :)

I stayed in Samran Place twice and am surprised to hear of such reviews as they DO HAVE hot water for shower. Hope you enjoy your trip this Dec :)

emily.t said...

Thanks so much for your reply! ^^

Well, keep up the good work ya! Enjoy your day!

Emily.t said...

Hey Precious Pea,

Happy New Year! =)
Forgot to thank you again, I had a fantastic trip in Bangkok in Dec 08. I'm planning to go back there every year! hahaha....

It was a perfect choice to stay in Samran, all my friends agreed. Thanks to you and your informative blog! =) If you happen to be in Samran again, there's a food stall you just hv to go for dinner/supper. Once you step out of Samran, turn right, walk straight until you see a food stall on your right with tables inside a open parking space. Alot of locals dine there...the food is so cheap and yummy! Must try oh! =)

Anyways, love your blog! Ganpade ne!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online