Monday, May 26, 2008

Day 3 (Breakfast) - Chew Fatt Congee Noodle

Let me continue with the post on my Hong Kong trip. Yes, I have yet to finish off my Hong Kong post. Lacking of motivation, I was tempted to abandon it since I have a major backlog in my database, but there are still more great food which I have not blogged about. So, here goes:

On the third day, we woke up particularly early than usual. Excitement filled the air. Well, at least I am excited and chirpy that morning cos it was the day we headed to Disneyland for an overnight stay. Although I went just a year earlier, somehow, it still excites me and I already have a list of shopping list in mind; tee-shirts, key-chains, bags, bags and more bags! Oppss..I should not get too carried away here, since this post is about my breakfast and not Disneyland yet. Breakfast was at this noodle & congee place called Chew Fatt located at Han Kow Road, just 5-minute away from our hotel.
1

I guess what made this place the chosen one was because of the fresh raw ingredients displayed at the glass panel. Fresh slices of fish fillet, offals from both my favourite animals (beef and pig), century eggs and etc.
IMGP4611

I was torn between having Wantan Noodle and Congee and finally I decided to go for a lighter meal. No regrets for ordering the beef congee which was smooth and tasty with generous amount of sliced beef and century egg with runny yolks. Warm and comforting...prefect for a cool and windy morning.

IMGP4607

I wonder why the boys ordered Dry Wantan Noodle as it certainly came dried and unappetising with a lot of oyster sauce splattered on top of the noodle. According to Hubby, it wasn't good. The Wantan looks big though but I did not try as I was too contented with my congee.
IMGP4610

We also had a plate of freshly made Rice Sheet Roll (Cheong Fun) to share. Served hot, the cheong fun was soft with a slight chewy texture, drenched with lots of soya sauce, sweet sauce and some chilli sauce at the side. One word: YUMMY!
IMGP4605

17 comments:

-kent- f0 粉肠 said...

wow...i like congee with century egg, simple but prefect match haha, and the cheong fun are attracting me...din served with any prawns or char siew??

ck
http://kent1992.blogspot.com

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

no raw egg inside the beef congee?? makes the porridge even more smoother..

CUMI & CIKI said...

i love the thought of century egg with runny yolk!! yum! making me drool... nice shots!

Crunchasarus Rex said...

Wow..!! that's alot of oyster sauce.. must be very saltish lor..??

Precious Pea said...

kenny: Yah, just congee with century eggs is good enough. Yumz! But would mind some minced pork balls too.

NJoe: Erm..I think that should be add-ons. I love congee with raw eggs too but one minus point is that it tends to be watery if you don't eat it fast.

cumi & ciki: The thing about the century eggs in HK is that they are very aromatic and doesn't smell or taste ammonia like those in Malaysia.

crunchasarus rex: A lot right??? But funny tat it wasn't salty at all. Maybe premium oyster sauce?

Kenny Mah said...

Oooh congee with century egg... I love that, and yours is fantastic... those tender beef slices... :)

mimid3vils said...

HK's century eggs are different ?

Nic (KHKL) said...

aiyer, the dry noodle looks weird hor? you know, i think kl serves the best dry noodles ever! sweet/savoury/aromatic. ;)

but of course, hk still reigns when it comes to beef congee lar...hehe

Tummythoz said...

After your previous post of 'grand' seafood and memorable toilet adventure, this sounds so ch'ng & mild.

kampungboycitygal said...

eww dry noodles with only thick oyster sauce? will definitely go for the cheong fun.

wmw said...

The hanging fish slices (???) scares me...Hahaha...

Jaded said...

It's a bad idea to read your blog at this time ): when its about time to get home and my tummy is rumbling...

I just love the HK Congee, so smooth. My favourite is at a tiny shop called 'Five Dragons' literal translation from Chinese. They used to be at Wan Chai, Lee Tung Street, but now that street is demolished already for new development dunno where they are relocated.

Precious Pea said...

kenny: I like with salted eggs too.

mimid3vils: Yes, a bit different in texture.

nic: Eh..you forgot something..add some lard lagi best!

tummythoz: Hehe..ya lor..so ching and unfattening.

kampungboycitygal: I think as long as you order wantan mee with soup then should be safe.

wmw: Eh?? Why?? You now can't stand the sight of fish?

jaded: Awww....what a pity. But then again, almost all the shops serve good congee, can't go wrong i guess?

ling239 said...

the prawn wanton has got really thin skin... almost melting hahahaaa....

sc said...

i can almost taste the smoothness of the congee on my tongue...must have tasted wonderful..

Precious Pea said...

ling239: Very thin indeed, i can see the black thingy on the prawns! Haha!

sc: Very very wonderful!

tigerfish said...

I love that you bring back HK food. Hee heee...

The Cheong Fun looks more like those in SE Asia and not those Cantonese ones. Are they ?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online