Monday, May 19, 2008

An Evening by the Lake....at Setia Alam

When I moved to Setia Alam, I was really happy to discover that there are quite a number of lakes around the neighbourhood, so much so, Hubby and I have been shopping around for fishing rod! One evening while driving out for dinner nearby, we passed by one of the lakes that I have been eyeing on, a huge lake which is near to an oil palm plantation. A group of Indian men were there with fishing net and there were even 2 or 3 boys inside the lake! Excitedly, I requested Hubby to stop his car at the roadside so that I could get down to check it out. It turned out that this lake actually serves as a retention pond to prevent flood around the area.
1

While chatting with one of the men there, I was told that there are quite a lot of fish here especially black tilapia. Using a big net to trap the fish, the results were of course, not bad at all. I happily joined them from running from one side of the lake to another, cheering for each and every fish they caught! And they were even more excited when I took my camera out, a chance for them to show off their catches!
3

One of the guy told us of their priceless catch the day before. An odd looking fish that has stripes, sharp fins and a mouth like a shark. We were of course curious with his description and we were really lucky, cos they managed to catch a similar one while we were there.
5

Hubby immediately recognised the fish...it's Sucker Fish! In this case, this is a BIG SUCKER!!! LOL!!! They kept asking us to bring it home for our pond in which of course, we refused. It will scare the hell out of my precious lionheads!!!
6

And here are some of their catches:
Cat Fish
7

There are lots of this kind of fishes which am not too sure of its name. According to them, this tastes absolutely sweet and delicious when deep fried.
9

Lots of big black tilapia! I usually have the red, not sure how this tastes like.
8

Their dinner.....
10

My Dinner.....

Haha..sorry, this is not related to this post, but I find the picture so pinkishly sweet and since I have been craving for watermelon all night, I thought it would satisfy part of my craving by posting this up!
P5030328

25 comments:

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

when i scrolled down n the pic of the snake-like fish showed up, i JUMPED! oh yoh, this is the second time i freaked out reading ur blog, the last time was a pic of a real snake. *shivers*

cravings huh. have u tested yet?

a feast, everyday said...

Now you know where u can get free tilapia!

Precious Pea said...

Terri: Ooo...now i know..you have phobia towards slittery creature?? I tell you, catfish is no way anything as scary as snake! Brrr... As for the cravings...hahaha...that is the cravings of a glutton, nothing to do with periodic outflow. LOL!! Die lor..if really pregnant, the amount of watermelon i had last night will definitely wash it away!

droolteam: Hahaha...provided i get a net instead of a fishing rod!

ling239 said...

why are the three fishes in a row smiling.... or is it me @_@

Kenny Mah said...

Couldn't help scrolling up again when I read ling239's comment. Ya hor... like they are smiling leh. Creepy...

By the way, dear, don't forget to drop by my blog and vote for your favourite story. I'll read the story with the most votes this Saturday at "Readings" --- do come if you're free, okay? :)

tigerfish said...

What's in your watermelon? I thought some kind of meat?

Lianne said...

my goodness, that's the biggest SUCKER I've ever seen! Quite scary lehhhh .. err, you think they can do the sucking/massaging job for the feet? hahaha, bigggg businesss ...

Nic (KHKL) said...

wow, that longkang fish looks like a real useful vacuum...er, i mean pond cleaner hor? hehe...

ya, drove pass a few nice spots at setia alam y'day...tempted to step out to take some pics..then, see watch...1 pm d...hehe...

Precious Pea said...

ling239: Ya wor...they were smiling especially the first one! LOL!

kenny: This is a case of "Die also must die beautifully with a smile"! LOL! Just voted. Will have to check with Hubby first if anything is on this Saturday.

tigerfish: This dish is called Champagne Pork Ribs. The pork ribs tasted normal like honey/marmite pork ribs. But not bad...main and dessert into one.

lianne: You mean, fish spa?? Eee...I wouldn't want that big sucker to come near me. Sekali it swallow my whole toe. Eeeee...

Precious Pea said...

Nic: I actually have a few in my pond but no way it could beat this size lor. One of it is getting very big and am tempted to bring it back to the fish shop to exchange for small ones (they told me that i could do that). Hehe...never mind la..maybe next time we can have a picnic around the lake?? Then we can do fishing and the fishes will be bbq-ed on the spot! That would be so much fun hor?

UnkaLeong said...

Must be those sucker fish ppl used to keep in their auquarium, keep until too big, go throw in lake :S

Speaking of Snakes, a 6 foot tree snake slithered pass me when I approached it cycling in Kiara Yesterday morning. Hee Hee..

sc said...

guess you'll be fishing for your meals in the future eh? :p the watermelon chicken dish looks like the one served in new paris..

PureGlutton said...

Wow...didnt know there're so many FOC fishes in Setia Alam ponds! Steamed fresh tilapia is good, hehe!
BTW, that Hometown Steamboat in Kota Kemuning - if you know where McDonald's is, that shop is just along the same road, further down...corner shop at the end block of shops. It's painted yellow/orange - u can't miss it!

Precious Pea said...

unkaleong: Possible also people threw their sucker fish there. But i wonder if it could be eaten. Eee...i am terrified of snakes! I will surely scream, running all the way down the hill! Haha!

sc: Hahaha...I will definitely blog about my first catch! Yep...same as new paris, they call it Champagne Ribs!

pureglutton: Thanks for the direction. Hope to check it out one day.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

u went to klang to makan rite?? the watermelon pork rib..

wmw said...

Fish!!!!!!! Aaaaarrrrgh!!!! Run..run...run...

Nic (KHKL) said...

picnic by the lake! fantastic plan! must bring wmw along...hehe

oh, i remember now...there's a lake call tasik chini there also ;)

mimid3vils said...

I saw bandaraya fish.....hehe

mama bok said...

Wow..! my FIL would love it..!

Tummythoz said...

What an interesting post!

wmw, you serious ka? Walk leisurely also will b way faster than those out of water fishes.
=)

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Not Klang, the restaurant is in Setia Alam.

wmw: Chase..chase..chase!!!!

Nic: Tasik Chini?? Where??

mimid3vils: Hahaha...yes...this one must be doing a good job clearing dirt from the pond.

mamabok: Hahaha! She loves fishing too?

tummythoz: Thanks! It was an interesting evening for me. Hehehe..wmw not just don't eat fish, she can't stand the sight of it as well.

Nic (KHKL) said...

i will bring over my streetdirectory when we meet up next time, ok? ;)

Precious Pea said...

Nic: Haha..cool. I need to study all the areas around me. Still have not explore Klang although so near to my place.

Henry Yeo said...

wow! those guys are really good.

SimonHeng said...

Setia alam is a very nice place to stay, and I do love the lake here as much as u did:)

Simon

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online