Saturday, May 31, 2008

HOMEMADE MEE YOKE

This is what I cooked for lunch today.
P5310421

There are many names for this yummylicious flavourful prawn noodle. Some call it Har Mee. In Penang it is referred to as Hokkien Mee while I fondly call it Mee Yoke. I grew up having my regular dose of Mee Yoke from this stall called SS2 Lim Mee Yoke which now closed down and relocated to SS2 CheowYang coffeeshop. I love the Mee Yoke served by this stall as the soup has been consistently good and flavourful with a spicy kick to it. So much so, it has become a benchmark against other stalls in which most of the time, it was a major disappointment.

A few months back, I stumbled upon Rasa Malaysia's recipe for Mee Yoke and practically I was drooling over her photos. I was determined to give it a try but it ended up taking me months to accumulate prawn heads and shells, the most essential item for the stock. The reason it took me months was because I don't usually buy prawns to cook at home and when I do, I prefer to cook prawns with shells intact. I finally managed to accumulate two boxes of it. Of course, the more the better!
P5310397

For the complete recipe, do check out her blog with the link I attached earlier. I will just go through the steps here. I followed the traditional method of frying the shrimp head and shells with a little amount of oil, just to make it more aromatic. But do remember to close the lid when you dump the shells in to avoid the oil splattered all over the stove and floor (i learnt from experience). Give it a good stir and when your house is filled with the wonder aroma of prawns, add in water, about 4-5 big chinese soup bowls.
P5310400

Simmer on low heat for at least 2 hours until the stock becomes cloudy and pinkish. Using a sieve, strain the stock, discard the prawn heads/shells and remove the top layer of orangey foam. Add in spare ribs and a piece of lean pork meat into the stock and simmer on low heat for at least another 1 hour. Add rock sugar (please put bits by bits to adjust the taste according to your likings) and salt to taste. I added in fish sauce for extra sweetness. P5310406

While waiting for the soup to be ready, blend the shallots and onions. You can get Chili-boh (grinded chilli paste) from the supermarket, and if you can't get those then you can do it yourself by grinding softened dried chillies.
P5310410

In a hot wok, sauteed the blended chili paste, shallots and ginger till fragrant. Scoop it up and add half into your soup or more if you prefer it to be more spicier.
P5310413

Using the same unwashed wok, stir fry the shrimp with a bit of chilli paste, sugar and salt. Dish up and slice them into half.
P5310416

While waiting for the soup to be ready, I accidentally fell asleep. I woke up and panic as I realised, it was way past lunch time. So at this point in time, no photos on the preparation of the noodle. So basically all you need is another pot of boiling hot water, blanch the kangkung (water convolvulus), beansprouts, noodle of your choice (i used vermicelli and egg noodle). Boil some eggs, fry some shallots and slice the lean pork. Assemble all the ingredients nicely on your serving bowl starting with noodle, the move on to the kangkung and beansprouts, lastly the egg, sliced prawns and lean meat on top. By now the meat on the spare ribs would have been soft and almost fallen of its bones. Ladle the soup over and sprinkle with shallot crisps,
P5310420

The end result? A very yummylicious bowl of Mee Yoke which of course still could not beat Lim MeeYoke but close enough to satisfy my cravings. My dad gave me a score of 8 out of 10 while Hubby who is not a fan of Mee Yoke gave me 6.5 out of 10. I was quite unhappy with the low score but he said his average for a good bowl of Mee Yoke only score 5. It immediately put a smile on my face.
P5310424

40 comments:

Jackson said...

looks easy to cook but from the cooking process that u go thtough, it is difficult... I'm happy to have a friend like you who know how to cook Mee Yok and Siew Yok and Grilled chicken wings... at least i can try next time. Terima Kasih

Cokeworld Citizen said...

Wah...you actually go thru it to make a bowl of Mee Yoke. My friend's mom sells hokkien mee. Been to her house...loads of pork ribs and prawns lol...her car smells of prawn mee also. Din noe u like prawn mee so much...

There is always Ibumie Instant Prawn Noodles...hahaha...no need so mahuan la...

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

so shiok as i was saying..and reading for the 1st time at NIGHT! it wasnt funny..tummy grumbling at nite..

team bsg said...

we will bet 4 bowls of lim mee yoke SS2 that you are the 1st great cook to fall asleep while your immaculate prawny brew was still firing...

actually for saying it you already got rated 8.8 and deserves 2 bowls hands down!

CUMI & CIKI said...

love the sizzling wok prawn photo.. i can almost hear the SSSSSSSSzzZZsss... !! cool

J2Kfm said...

so much prawns and shells were used? wow, the soup serves how many? I love Pg's Hokkien Mee a lot also! very sweet and flavourful.

New Kid on the Blog said...

geee... it's kinda time consuming to prepare this huh??? no wonder outside stall sell so expensive per bowl.
i wonder how many prawn shells and heads that they gotta accummulate?

Precious Pea said...

jackson: Actually not that difficult to make as long as you have a few hours to spare. Terima Kasih? Haha..sama-sama.

cokeworld citizen: I just found out the minimarket near my place sells shrimp heads. Save the hassle of collecting the heads. Saw the instant noodle before but have not tried as I don't take instant noodle. And surely cannot compare as the homemade version. Slurps!

NJoe: Hehehe...maybe you can try having Mee Yoke for breakfast instead of driving all the way to Klang for BKT. Am sure your gf would be more than happy: no bkt for her ;)

team bsg: Hahaha..i also don't know how i ended up falling asleep. But i guess the good thing is that it gave enuff time for the prawns to fully release its flavour to the broth. I can imagine oledi..PEA MEE YOKE at Setia Alam....*dream dream dream*

cumi & ciki: Haha...i was blowing away the steam while taking the picture cos the first few turned out blurry. Not to mention the splattered oil on my hand and camera.

Precious Pea said...

j2kfm: I cooked for 3 person only but the more prawn head/shell the better the soup.

nktob: Those outside very stingy. Give few slices of pork and thinly sliced prawns. If you make at home you can add in lots of goodie stuff. I was too lazy, otherwise i will fry some pork lard to sprinkle on top. Sinful sinful sinful!!!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

This reminds me of VNese bun rieu with the combo of shrimp and pork. Hehe, can't believe your hubby only gave you a 6.5. At least he redeemed himself by explaining the score. ;)

Rasa Malaysia said...

OMG, drool all over my t-shirt!!

:-O... :-O...

Aiyo, looks so good and authentic. Yes, the traditional method calls for the frying and all that, I tried it once and it was darn too long so I cheated, as always with my cooking.

Suffice it to say, it's still great. I agree that fish sauce adds more sweetness to the stock, but salt will do, too. Yes, the thing about rock sugar is that some of them are darn big so if you are not careful, it turns too sweet. I am just so happy that you followed the steps I proposed, i. e.: using the left over chili paste to fry the prawns, they are so good don't you think? Better than the whole prawns.

Geez, now when can I save enough prawn heads??? Gah, it will take months!!!!

rokh said...

wow bravo for the effort to cook this! looks really good :)~

Precious Pea said...

wandering chopsticks: Me too! I was so upset that he gave me only 6.5 cos it was really good, well, to my standard at least. But can't blame him, he really not a fan of Mee Yoke as I never seen him ordering this before for the past 7years.

rasa malaysia: Thanks for leaving me a comment. Looks good isn't it? Just found out this morning that the minimart near to my place sells shrimp heads! I wanted to cheat but then thought since it was my first attempt might as well follow the proper method. But I was too lazy to blend the shells cos i think it would be pretty messy. Yes, the sauteed shrimps very nice and sweet! Thanks for the recipe!

rokh: Hehehe..thank you. It wasn't too much work, really!

Jun said...

nothing beats home-cooked hokkien mee! i see tht u like to add a lot of ingredients too! ;)

Cokeworld Citizen said...

Hehehe thanx for your concern :) but before I read your comment I ady stock up on instant noodles :S

heya dun eat so much prawn head also. Sea water these days are dirty.

All I know is you boiled the perfect hardboiled eggs from the last picture you showed ;)

The Cooking Ninja said...

wah ... so delicious. I wish I have the patient to cook something that takes 3 hours to cook. Then again, my significant other will not be able to take the house smelling like prawns, hence I never cook anything sambal in the house.

Hazza said...

I admire your patience to cook this dish, especially when you can buy it so easily. Like you, I also have problems gathering prawn shells - not just for this dish, but also other types of stock based soup noodles. Fortunately, I can buy a prawn noodle mix locally, which is good enough for me. However, I cant seem to be able to find the right kind of meehoon to go with it!

Simply...Gluten-free said...

My mouth is watering looking at these pictures, yum!

Precious Pea said...

jun: Hehehe..yeah...home cooked must add in more ingredients.

cokeworld citizen: Aiyoo...instant noodle once a week is ok but not everyday ok? Hehe..i like boiled egg with slightly runny yolk.

cooking ninja: Awww....i cannot live without sambal. But I always open all door/windows/exhaust fan/fans whenever i cook something pungent. Let neighbours suffer..*evil laugh*

hazza: Can buy it easily but the taste always major disappointment. I think here got the mix too but if can do it from scratch, why not? As for the meehoon, i usually get those Thai meehoon which is really fine. Good with soup!

simple gluten-free: Harlow there! Thanks for leaving me comment. :)

myCoffee said...

Looks even more delicious than most of what's being sold outside. Wow!

a feast, everyday said...

My hub's fav but I hv never cook it 4 him cos of d really long n tedious procedures tt u so painstakingly demonstrated here. I salute u. D dish looks so ravishing

ling239 said...

so many ingredients....
luckily the soup is not dried by the time u woke up :p

jason said...

Ooo... hebatnya. But mee yoke aka prawn mee is not my preferred food. Luckily the broth didn't run dry by the time you woke up :)

teckiee said...

wahh ho liau! hear you talking to Rasa Malaysia about this during king crab.. so this is the out put.. for extra chicken meat for the extra sweetness some more.. slurp

Jessica said...

wow! wow! wow! looks so darn GOOD! Prawwwwnnnnssss my preciousssss! Good cook lar you!

Precious Pea said...

mycoffee: I don't think i will order Mee Yoke outside anymore.

a feast, everyday: Actually it really wasn't that much work..errm..the cleaning maybe.

ling239 and Jason: The thing is, my dad and hubby was watching the fire for me. But funny how come they just let me continue sleeping while it was way past lunch time.

teckie: I tot of putting ikan bilis for the stock but trust me, the prawn heads/shells already did wonder to the stock!

jessica: Hehe...thanks! No la, am not a good cook but just experimenting. But I also salute myself cos I always choose those really complicated stuff to do.

Nic (KHKL) said...

prawn mee requires lotsa work...i hear also takut already...hehe...

but looking at your result, i must say it's one bowl of goodness there...excellent ;D

u can really cook anything ar? *clap clap*

Precious Pea said...

nic: Ermm...long hours yes, but lotsa work, this is nothing as compared to roast duck! Still having nightmare of the bathing procedure. Anyway, somehow cooking dishes is so much easier than baking for me.

Xiu Long Bao said...

Ur bowl of noodles is overloaded with ingredients. Can sell it for $15 a bowl. Deprived of good prawn mee here :I

kat said...

Excellent!! I can almost smell the prawny goodness from here!! If I had the shells and time, I would attempt it. Hubs luuurves prawn mee.

So in your opinion, where can we get good prawn mee nowadays ar?

lil'Chomel said...

Hi girl, first time leaving a comment. Looks more delicious than the ori mee yoke la. Makes me wanna run to mee yoke and have a bowl of prawn mee. Slurrp...slurrp. Will definitely try your recipe!

KY said...

wah this one memang looks damn best!!

Precious Pea said...

xlb: I think at $15 can make money but sell at RM15, i rugi teruk. Haha!

Kat: To me, I find Lim Mee Yoke the best. Champ's not bad too, loaded with goodies but of course, at premium price. Do try it, am sure you Hubby will appreciate it so much.

lil chomel: Harlow!! Thanks for leaving me a comment. The baby so cute...yours rite??

ky: Hehehe...actually it does 'look' delicious although in actual fact, it was delicious. LOL! Self-praise pulak!

tigerfish said...

That must be so yummy! All the prawns heads and pork ribs...a flavor bomb, man!

wmw said...

Looks really good...like I told you, I don't mind being test subjects taster!

lil'Chomel said...

yup, my son. He is much older than the pics.

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: Oh yes...rich and flavourful which is a rare find outside.

wmw: Ok ok..i got the hint! ;)

lil'chomel: Ahh...very handsome leh!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

WOW!!R u trying to kill me?? to see but not able to eat!

Kenny Mah // Life for Beginners said...

Wahhh... so many prawn heads... so this was your secret stash? I need to camp outside your house and break in everytime I smell you cooking! Lol.

Peb said...

I found it. Thanks for the recipe! Will try it once I accumulate enough prawn heads. :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online