Tuesday, May 27, 2008

MY AIR-FLOWN HOUSEWARMING GIFT!

I have received a number of housewarming gifts and I found out that my friends really do know me very well as most gifts are kitchen-related, ranging from BBQ set to nut bowls (bowls for holding nuts?), sandwich maker to lovely China sets. Are they implying that I should quit my job and be a full-time housewife? Hahaha..actually why not if Hubby agrees to it? Actually this proposal has been brought up and knowing me well, Hubby said I would turn into a lazy couch potato if I ever stay home doing nothing. Ahh..he know me so well

Now now,
back to the topic of this post, my air-flown housewarming gift! For my birthday two years ago, I was in Melbourne and my birthday presents from my brother-in-law (BIL) were a BIG live lobster and a HUGE live snow crab. Knowing him, my housewarming gift would not be anything lesser than that definitely. So, wanna know what goodie he bought for me and Hubby?

THIS!
<span class=


A huge 3Kg block of freshly cut and then deep frozen Australian Wagyu Tenderloin, flew in via MAS direct flight, hand carried by my BIL. I should have taken a picture of Hubby's excited look when he saw the chunk of beef. BIL told us that Wagyu beef is not cheap in Australia although it originated there. However with his good relationship with his supplier, he got it at a cheaper price. He claimed that ever since he tasted wagyu, he never buy the normal beef anymore. He usually buy wagyu in chunks, just like the one he got for us, to stock up his fridge. I always like to ransack his fridge cos there are definitely some hidden treasure in the freezer compartment all the time. Am now eyeing the 1kg of abalones that are waiting for me..slurp slurp!
<span class=


Once the frozen beef was defrosted, BIL sliced it into smaller cuts and wrapped them individually with cling wrap to stack it back in the freezer so that we could defrost and cook it anytime we want. Since we already planned to have seafood dinner outside (as it was the first day of their arrival), BIL cooked two slices of beef for us to try. He said that to enjoy the freshness and natural taste of the beef, no marination is required. All you need is a burning hot frying pan, preferably with smoke (at this point, please open all doors and windows and ventilation fan!).
The heat of the pan is crucial to ensure that the beef juice is retained inside the meat. The sizzling of the beef was such a killer. The aroma from the melting fats was tormenting my senses. It was so aromatic! The aroma is difficult to explain, something which you will not get from frying a normal piece of steak. Even my Pea and Pumpkin went crazy over the aroma.
<span class=


Our steak was done medium rare, just the way we liked it to be. A little bit of salt was sprinkled on top of the beef before served. I was eyeing the fats which has been fried golden brown, the source of the tormenting aroma. It turned out that Hubby had his eyes set on the same place too. Of course, the piece of crispy golden piece of fats was well-worth the fight. It was crispy and almost melted in my mouth. It doesn't have the oily after-taste, making it so less sinful. Oooo....those heavenly moments.
IMGP4223


The pinkish meat was so juicylicious and flavourful. The beef essence bursting in my mouth as I chewed. By the way, it didn't require much chewing due to the tenderly soft meat. Ahhh..the ultimate beef which I have fallen madly in love with.
IMGP4223


The supply of wagyu beef have since long been depleted...how I missed you, my dear Wagyu. To torture me further, I was on the phone with BIL two days ago and he was telling me that his current favourite is to pan fried the beef fats till crispy to extract the oil which is then used to fry rice with lots of egg and scallion and can pass off as vegetarian fried rice! Grrrrr.....but I can imagine how good the fried rice is. Such a torture. BIL, if you are reading this, are you coming back soon? We definitely very miss Wag..ahem, i mean you.


33 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Wow! That's a pretty nice brother-in-law and an awesome housewarming gift. Beats nut bowls. ;)

CUMI & CIKI said...

what is it about bearing so much pink flesh that makes it so tantalizingly inviting ! lol... u r killing me.. oh yes u are... :)

Kenny Mah // Life for Beginners said...

Hehe, I still remember wmw bringing the nut bowls (three of them) and suggesting that the three male bloggers at the back of the car supply the nuts! LOL

As for the Wagyu, I pray for your BIL to return soon... and for you to invite me over? ;)

Live2Talk said...

I never try any Wagyu beef before up to this point of my life ... err can spare 1 or 2 piece ah :P

Precious Pea said...

wandering chopsticks: Oh yes! I have got the greatest brother-in-law ever! Actually the nuts bowl also I like but would be better if it came filled with macadamia, almond and walnuts. Haha! *Psst, wmw, are you reading this?*

cumi & ciki: Looking back at those photos, I missed the wagyu terribly. Sniff sniff!

kenny mah: Aiyah...and ended up the bowl came empty. I was ready with nutcracker already. Crunch Crunch!!
Hehehe...thank you for joining me with the prayer but I think I will be getting some in Gold Coast as my sis will be joining us and she will bring some over for us..woohoo!!

Precious Pea said...

live2talk: Err...all fully digested oledi.

-kent- f0 粉肠 said...

by the look, its simple, but quite attracting!!!

ck
http://kent1992.blogspot.com

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

omg..im gonna faint!..hahaha..can we visit when ur BIL comes back to KL nxt time??? i think i look at the wagyu block also happy!!! so big chunk!

i went to this hartamas jap place..this beef teppanyaki also has crispy beef fats..its scrumptious with white rice!

J2Kfm said...

wah...wagyu all the way from Aust? not bad, not bad. have yet to taste wagyu, wondering is the marbled fat worth the hype? =)

rokh said...

i haven't have the luxury to try wagyu beef yet, yours look.so.juicy! yum

Sapna Anu B.George said...

hi...my fist visit to yoru blog....yet i was surprised to find such warm gift for a housewarming. the beef looks yummy....once you cooked it, though my stakes has little more indian touch to it....ofcose , I will be visiting as often as i can. ....you bet , i will

Precious Pea said...

kent: Sometimes, the simpler the better for maximum enjoyment.

Joe: So big chunk right? I never had wagyu steak that chunky before lor. Each piece of steak weighed at least 300 - 400 gram. How luxurious! Sigh..miss it so much. Wah..beef lard on rice...cool!

j2kfm and rokh: You should give it a try. Very nice and tender.

sapna: Hello there! Thank you for dropping me a comment. Do drop by more often yah.

Hazza said...

I have heard so much about Wagyu and Kobe beef, but have not even seen it in real life! For now, I think premium sirloin from Tesco will satisfy... its not a good thing to have something too good... you end up wanting more and burn a hole in your pocket!

Nic (KHKL) said...

WAH!!! 3 kgs!!! 3000 grams!!!next time, i must also find a wife with a history of good cooks d..haha!

you last picture was da killer lar...i can almost taste the cut already...haiz...

wmw said...

Woah...that's one heck of a tummy warming gift! hehe... (rather than house)

tigerfish said...

Can meat be brought in to Malaysia? If it is the other way round, I don't think it will work - as in, will Australia allow meat products if it is hand-carried ?

You make me miss the bits of Wagyu beef in the Superstar Wagyu fried rice. And yours is a steak! :O

Bernsy said...

can't wait to my teeth in those wagyu beef steaks....

squall said...

so yummy...

ling239 said...

hmm....where to get a BIL like that ah...


i want that piece of beef!!! ^O^

Precious Pea said...

hazza: I agree with you. Too much good stuff is not good at all, it raise the benchmark and like you say, ended up with big holes in our pocket.

nic: Need help in wife-searching or not??

wmw: Hehe...such creative gift right?? Perfect for us!

tigerfish: No way we can bring meat products into Aust. As for Malaysia, am not sure as he always bring back food for us. There was one time he brought back braised abalones. I myself brought back two containers of Singapore meehoon which my bro-in-law cooked for me to eat on the plane which I didn't manage to finish.

bernsy: I wonder when I can get another bite of it..sigh.

squall: Slurps!!

ling239: Hehe..yalor...he is the best BIL ever. He sayang me a lot..there was once he told his supplier than I am his sister (mui) when it should be sis-in-law (yi jai).

Kenneth said...

ms. pea - i am in love with your reviews of FOOD! ;)

i am a fan!

never had wagyu - anywhere in KL / PJ you would recommend? aside from your house of course :P :)

gosh - i'm still in the office and reading yours and FBB's blog is making me HUNGRY!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

oh my! pls pls ask BIL where to buy the wagyu, bc i want my girl to carry one big chunk back too! how did he get it cross customs bc i heard tt they don't allow meat in anymore?? i am expecting a reply!

ai wei said...

salivating!!! but i can't take tis. sobzzz

Simon Seow said...

I want a gift like this too :p

Precious Pea said...

kenneth: Harlow! Thanks for dropping by and leaving me a comment as well. Nowadays Wagyu quite common especially at most Japanese restaurant. If you want western steak, there is one at Pavilion on the top floor which I walked pass before, sorry, can't remember the name though. If you like something rich and gelatinous, try Max!Kitchen Wagyu Beef Cheek.

terri: He told me he got it from the supplier who supply to his working place. But am sure if you are interested, he could arrange to pass it to Yi. About the Customs part, I didn't know meat is not allowed. But usually they don't check at KLIA, do they? I only get checked ALL THE TIME at LCCT! My fault la...always come back with big baggages.

ai wei: You don't take beef? Ok..see no touch!

simon: Hehehe...cool gift rite??

Nic (KHKL) said...

precious pea, hehehe...i shy one ler...lol!

Precious Pea said...

nic: You?? Shy?? Ahem ahem...Eh, seriously, i got one friend, very sweet and homey person. I dunno about cooking but she can bakes well. No BIL as chef..hehehe...but her dad can cook very well too! Mau ar???

Jackson said...

so lucky!

Nic (KHKL) said...

oh, interesting...will ask for details in mukabuku later ;> thanks, ya!

mimid3vils said...

Never try Wagyu beef before...pricey for me...

Henry Yeo said...

What marble score is that? looks like a 6-7.

NekoHime said...

u has very nice BIL! :p

Anonymous said...

Dear Ivy,

I really enjoy reading your posts and I would really like to try out some of the dishes you cooked . However since
I'm not a very good cook; I would need more specific details like measurements of the ingredients you used.

I would really appreciate if you could send me the specific measurements of the ingredients for the following dishes :

Feb 16 2007 Reunion Feast - Honey soy sauce prawns and mixed vegetables

Jan 4 2008 Grilled chicken wings

Please send the recipes to my email address : carambola379@yahoo.com

Thank you for your trouble.

Yours sincerely.

Linda

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online