Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SEAFOOD! OH MY GLORIOUS SEAFOOD! @ KUALA SELANGOR

UPDATED ON 8 JUNE 2008: THIS POST HAS BEEN CHOSEN AND FEATURED IN TODAY'S STAR METRO!!!
Link**********

I guess there is no one out there that I know of who loves seafood as much as my bro-in-law (BIL) does. Whenever he is around, our meals usually dominated with dishes after dishes of seafood. He said we are really lucky to have so much of fresh seafood here at such dirt-cheap price (after converting into Aussie Dollar). Since we have been eating out so often during his trip back, I thought it would be good to get some nice and fresh seafood for a home-cooked meal as my BIL is a great chef. What could be better than getting seafood from its source? So off we went to Kuala Selangor!

We usually get our seafood from this fishing village in Bagan Pasir, about 15 minutes drive away from the Kuala Selangor town. There are about four fish stalls here, each owns their own ship, hence nothing gets any fresher than this place as the catch-of-the-day are unloaded here. Do note that the price here are much cheaper too as compared to the fish market in Kuala Selangor town. I have posted about the fishing village before, do check it out here.

Since we went on a weekday, there are not much people around, so we took our time hopping from one stall to another to check on their catches and of course, to compare the price as well.
1

We were really lucky that day as there were live flower crabs and mantis prawns available for sale. Since we planned to have homemade porridge steamboat dinner that night, flower crabs would be the best choice to sweeten the porridge. BIL was given the honour to choose the crabs. Err, their claws were not tied up, so no way am putting my hand in!
2

The chosen ones...yumzz!!! Sweet and meaty! Can't remember the price but believe me, it's cheap!
3

In another tank, we spotted A LOT of live mantis prawns and some are quite big! Excitedly, I walked, okay, actually almost running towards the lady seller to check on the price.


Me : How much are those mantis prawns per kilo?
Seller : RM1.50 each
Me : RM1.50 each????? For big or small?
Seller : RM1.50 each regardless of size.

I think BIL and I will do really well if we participate in Amazing Race. Without any exchange of words between us, we immediately ran back to the tank, grabbed the fishing nets next to it and started scooping for the big ones. We ended up with a basket full of wiggling lively mantis prawns...yumz! We also bought some pomfret, seabass, prawns and squids.

4

While the adults excitedly shopping for seafood, my nephew found a cozy corner to have a game or two. Good thing about this boy is that he get accustomed to the environment easily although the place was wet and full of fishy smell.
5

After spending close to an hour shopping for seafood, it was time for lunch. Usually we will go to this seafood restaurant nearby called Hai Chun, sadly it was not open for business anymore. So we walked to a nearby sundry shop to ask if there are any other restaurants nearby and the lady boss highly recommended a karaoke restaurant which is located further inside the village. She told us that the food there is really good and a favourite hangout place among the locals. Cool! Karaoke inside a fishing village! *At that point in time, I was silly enough to expect something like Neway or Redbox with airconditioned*.

It was not too difficult to locate the restaurant since there aren't many inside the village. Named as Suang Le River Restaurant, from the outside it looks like a shabby "going-to-collapse-anytime-soon" wooden shack. My sis and I refused to get down from the car while the boys excited walked in to check the place out. After much persuasion, we followed them with hesitation.
6

A sigh of relief when I was told that the shabby shack is the kitchen whereas the dining area is at a separate place in which we have to walked on a wooden bridge heading towards the sea. To my horror, it was even scarier-looking than the earlier shack!! I kept telling them that it was a bad idea to have lunch there judging from the flies and rubbish underneath the shacks.
7

I mentioned karaoke didn't I ? Can you see the TV and the stereo system in the background? That's the karaoke that the sundry shopowner meant! And ahem....obviously, no air-conditioner too! I wouldn't mind if it wasn't so scorching hot that day. 9

Well..at least the view is great. What could be better than having fresh seafood by the seaside right?
8

Just when I finally calmed myself down after having some iced Coke, nightmare striked! I need to ease myself after having so much drink. I was almost in tears when I saw the toilet. It turned out to be a small wooden shack (shabbiest of all) which stands on long stilts above the ground. No toilet bowls as you will need to aim carefully at the hole in the middle of the toilet floor. Yes, that means while you are doing your business, regardless big or small, the droppings will flow downwards and people in the dining area will have full view of what came out! Despite almost in tears, I knew I need to settle my bladder problem immediately. I begged my BIL to wait for me outside, to rescue me just in case the shack collapsed. While I was inside, the shack swayed a little and of course I was screaming and shouting away! When I came out, I was so proud that I survived the ordeal and decided to take a photo of it for remembrance. Ahem, of course my commotion attracted lots of attention too. *Blush*
10

We waited quite a while for our food to be served. It turned out that the uncle who took our order is both the waiter and chef, ohh...the cashier too! We didn't mind the wait when the first dish was placed in front of us. Steamed Clams with Chinese Wine. Drizzled with aromatic shallots oil and generous amount of julienned ginger, the clams tasted wonderfully sweet. Even my nephew enjoyed this dish.
11

Since we couldn't wait to savour the live mantis prawns we bought for dinner, we decided to order some for lunch as well. Priced at RM2 per piece, it was a steal since the live one costs RM1.50! My favourite way to enjoy fresh seafood is to have it steamed and that was how our mantis prawns were served. Absolutely delicious!
12

Since my sis was controlling my nephew's seafood intake, we ordered a plate of Fried Noodles for him. It didn't look appetizing to me since they used instant egg noodles but I was so wrong. It was fantastic. Noodle was springy and the gravy was tasty. I find it too oily though but we finished it nonetheless.
13

The Kung Po Baby Squid won my heart too. The concoction of the Kung Po sauce was perfect and full wok hei (essence imparted from a hot wok). The baby squids were deep fried before tossing it with the Kung Po sauce together with onions, capsicums, carrots and dried chillies. Oooo..for this I shall return...who cares about the toilet!?!?
14

My BIL enjoyed our local mud crabs too. Although the local mud crabs are much smaller than those from Australia, he said that ours has got more crab 'essence', hence tastes much better. Upon my sis's request, we had our crabs cooked with sweet and sour sauce. I expected our sweet and sour crabs to be served with lots of gravy so that it could be dipped with bread. Sadly, ours was dry and the thick gravy coated onto the shell. The crabs were fresh but the bland gravy spoilt the overall taste of the dish.
15

Feeling dissatisfied, BIL suggested to add one more order of crabs and all of us voted for it to be steamed! He personally went into the kitchen to choose the crabs and I was so delighted when he told us that we are expecting female crabs as he know I love roes!! Yummzzz!!
16

Mmm...a perfect choice to have it steamed. The meat was firm and sweet. The roes was of course sinfully tasty and rich. The clear gravy with a hint of wine was full of crabs' essence. Yummy to the last drop!
17

I misplaced the receipt and if not mistaken, the meal was less than RM150 for the 6 of us including a few cans of soft drink, 2 bottles of beer and a pot of Chinese Tea. I vowed to return in near future (with empty bladder of course)!

Before heading home, we made a stop at the Kuala Selangor town as I wanted to get some fish paste for our steamboat dinner. Before that, we had cool coconut drink at the roadside while enjoying locally produced prawn crackers.
18

From the wide grin on BIL's face throughout the whole trip, I knew he totally enjoyed it. Well, the same goes for the oldest and the youngest member in the family too!
19

Sigh...looking back at the good time we had, I miss Kuala Selangor a lot. Hmm, maybe I should persuade Hubby to make a fish shopping and lunch trip there this weekend.

37 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Now I know where to bring my tourist friends. The toilet will definitely freak them out. :-P

-kent- f0 粉肠 said...

the baby squid catching my attention~~~ wee~~~the flower crab was worth
!!!

ck
http://kent1992.blogspot.com

Cokeworld Citizen said...

omg you'd actually found this antique toilet! I almost laughed my heart out when I read that part XD wakakaka!

Been to Kuala Selangor before for Fireflies (Lalat Api?) Hehehe anyway I remember patronising a restaurant that has a huge crab statue in front of it.

All the seafood looks great! Seems the sotong is to die for...Ahh... kampung flavour....But that kampung is really kampung of the kampung :S
no?

wmw said...

hahah...sorry for laughing but I was just imagining the scene when you had to go to toilet.

team bsg said...

ever thought of going boat fishing / star gazing / sea bbquing off this coast in a rented boat of say 20 active gluttons and outdoor activists? You people shud coz its the ultimate seafood family/buddy bonding / romantic/clandestine escapade west of KL, to beat all 5 1/2 star seafood restaurants North of SS2, whether live or frozen in Golf /Island Resorts. multimillion dollar leisure Clubs or giant convention centres !

Precious Pea said...

luscious sista: Hahaha..but am sure your tourist friends will remember this for life!

kent: Those baby squids...yummzz...good stuff!

cokeworld: Aiyoo...apa lalat api?? LOL! Kelip-kelip lah! Never seen any as we usually go during the day. Laugh somemore..hmmpphhh!! Wait till you come across one when you need to use it badly, that time sure cannot laugh oledi. Haha..but then it was quite funny also lor.

wmw: Cruel! So cruel!

team bsg: Actually your suggestion is really good. Food bloggers should do a trip there for seafood. Let me think think about it.

Jackson said...

OMG!! Usualy i went to those famous one but its damn expensive... next time i should go to this place !!!!!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

wat r u waiting for?? lets organise a trip to go!

UnkaLeong said...

My family and I used to go down there pretty often last time. To this place called Pasir Penambang I believe. Nearby ah? Maybe should get Dad to take us out there for lunch soon. hee hee...

Live2Talk said...

I'll freak out upon seeing the toilet :) err what if a 'flying fish' come rushing thru the hole? Jeez man ... creepy!

NekoHime said...

i like the toilet bit lol - you sound like me when i see toilet like this... but food wise it looks great only a bit ramshackled!

New Kid on the Blog said...

wow, cheap really cheap. but then the toilet ... err... am kinda like OMG.

Nic (KHKL) said...

when you mentioned, karaoke, i was already thinking about changing the k-session venue to kuala selangor already. then, looking at the lovely small tv for the k, i guess i'll stick to neway or red-box lar...haha!

but i wont mind going just for the delicious seafood and fishing village view!

mimid3vils said...

My brain is full of picture when I read ur description abt the shabby shack & the toilet...hehe :P

Precious Pea said...

jackson: Normally those famous ones are for tourists, so you also ended up paying tourist price.

NJoe: Why not? Actually am going this Saturday cos while doing this post, I missed those seafood terribly.

unkaleong: I think further down from the Kuala Selangor town. The further you go, the cheaper the seafood I was told.

live2talk: If got flying fish, I think I will immediately go buy 4D oledi. Hahahaha!

nekohime: But trust me hor, no smell at all. Even cleaner than those at petrol station. Haha!

nkotb: Yes, very very cheap! And tasty...very kampung taste.

nic: We all go one weekend then? Let me arrange...not so soon though cos am going this Saturday. Maybe in August?

mimid3vils: Hahaha..running wild with imagination eh?? But it was a hilarious scene indeed.

ling239 said...

i want the crab with roe !!!
yeah, who cares abt the toilet hahahaaaaa....

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

i don't know...the shack looked bad enuf but the rubbish under the hse..i really don't think i'll eat there n i'm upset tt the food's so good!

J2Kfm said...

the toilet looked ancient enough! what if you're doing, erm BIG business? sure freaks the other patrons out. haha... but RM150 is dirt cheap. RM2/mantis prawns really worth it la.
(p/s : if there ever is an excursion to Kuala Selangor for floggers get-together, pray pls inform this Ipohan also? *_v)

Jun said...

u're back!! glad to know u survived the drug ordeal ;>

Precious Pea said...

ling239: Hehe...i know you will sure eye on that cos I see you always post of crab roes.

terri: I was surprised that the food was good. Well, at least it compensated the ordeal i went through.

j2kfm: Big business?? Eeee...then you will hear this sound...plop! plop! plop! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

jun: Yes!! Am back!! Much better oledi but then, still coughing.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Oh wow! You're living the good life. I've never had flower crabs or mantis prawns before. I wish they were available in the US.

Well, I thought you were living the good life until I saw the toilet. ;)

JeromeFo令狐冲 said...

Omgz..So many fresh seafoods!
The last time i went there was in year 1996/1997. Almost 10 years + didn't go there already.. ><
Anyway, will go there to hv a try when i back from UK =)

Big Boys Oven said...

this place looks awesomely adventurous, and delicous food!

Precious Pea said...

wandering chopsticks: Hmm..i thought flower crabs are common. The mantis prawns are really good. So much sweeter than prawns and some even have roes!

jeromefo: Oooo..you should make a visit there. Worth the drive!

bbo: Yes! A very nice and quiet town to explore.

tigerfish said...

I have not tried mantis prawns before! :(

durianberry said...

Wow I don't care about shopping at malls anymore, I wanna go shopping for live seafood! Lol, sorry but I have to laugh about your ordeal with the toilet ;D

Hazza said...

how can such a run down place serve food that looks so extravagant?? If you looked at the food in isolation, it would not look out of place in a 5 star hotel!

Precious Pea said...

tigerfish: How come?? Hong Kong have plenty of those HUGE mantis prawns!

durianberry: Hahaha..ya ya ya..i prefer seafood shopping than window shopping at the malls.

hazza: LOL! I have exactly the same thoughts as you. But good thing the food was good, at least, it compensated the run down environment.

Cynthia said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this post - I LOVE seafood.

The bit about the toilet almost had me on the floor with laughter.

mama bok said...

Hahahaha!!! i truly understand.. you toilet predicament..!! i can't go there.. :( i'm such a wuss..!!

Precious Pea said...

cynthia and mamabok: I actually went back to the restaurant last Saturday but I managed to control my bladder. HAHA!

Henry Yeo said...

you take you through the selayang market in the morning.

Simon Seow said...

OMG, fresh fresh seafood.

Precious Pea said...

henry: I have not been to the market but i heard it's huge! Hmm...tour around the market? Why not? I loves visiting market and oooo ahhh over the goodies.

simon: Hehe..yes...so fresh, nothing gets fresher than this unless you scoop it out from the sea yourself lor.

Jessica said...

got directions ar? i wanna know how to go lar!

Precious Pea said...

Jessica, sorry wor...i know how to go as i memorised the road but dunno how to direct you leh. You know how to go to the town? From there go all the way for another 15 mins or so you will see a school on your right. Turn left at the junction and go all the way in are those kampung. You will see a sign bearing the name of this restaurant on your right.

Hui Yin Cho said...

hi! may i know how do i get here? can i go there using waze? whats the name of the fishing village?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online