Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Quack Quack....da Teochew way!

When it comes to Teochew Duck, I highly recommend this place called Kam Heong Restaurant in PJ State. It's right next to the UOB and directly opposite Menara MPPJ. Packed with diners during both weekdays and weekends, one could hardly miss this place. This coffeeshop is also crowded during the day and is famous for its Penang Prawn Mee and Claypot Porridge. Oh yes, please note that the stewed duck stall only opens for dinner. I have been dining here since I was a little girl, well, not too long ago actually, let me see..slightly more than 2 decades only ;) Lucky me, Hubby also patronise this place before he met me...so now this place has become our favourite place for stewed duck.
Now, let's talk about the food here. For those who doesn't fancy duck, you will still have many other options such braised trotters, braised mushrooms, stewed egg and salted veggies. And of course for those more adventurous, they even have duck intestines! I usually go for their oily rice (70 sen per plate) which is fragrantly fluffy! Porridge is also available at 70 sen per bowl but trust me, the duck gravy tastes so much better with rice.

The Salted Veggie was braised with lard and it's really a superb combination with the duck. It came in 3 sizes; small, medium and big at RM1, RM2 and RM3 respectively. Sourish and appetizing, a perfect way to go with oily duck.

Oh now..here comes the Star-of-this-Post...half a duck for me and Hubby at only RM18. I just can't describe how good the gravy is cos I can't seem to find any perfect words to describe it. I heard that the gravy is very precious as it has been kept for years and they keep cooking ducks in the same pot of gravy over the years. So imagine how much duck essence were released into the gravy in order to achieve such flavour.

There is a Malay chap running a small satay stall in front of the restaurant and his Satay is quite tasty and well-marinated. I brought my sis here once and she finished 20 sticks at one go! Priced at only 60sen per skewer, the nasi impit, cucumbers and shallots were complimentary.
Yummz...definately a recommended dinner place for duck lovers. The address of this place as follows:

Kam Heong Restoran
8 Jalan Tengah
Off Jalan Yong Shook Lin
Petaling Jaya New Town


Also reviewed by:
Masak-Masak

27 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

quack quack!..i always have the claypot porridge there..damn shiok..got crab claw and prawns and frog legs..but its been quite awhile since i had the duck here..u mention years ar..not chao meh hahaha..thanks for updating ar..i no more blog to jump to liao..

Kenny Mah said...

Yup, I've been here before and can vouch for it. Not a big duck lover myself, but the taste of that gravy... yumsss...

Will try the satay next time I'm there. There's a satay place that's quite good in Damansara Uptown too, near the new Uptown 37/HSBC but I can't remember the name.

jason said...

Em, the way they prepare the duck and gravy sounds scary leh. @_@" But the satay looks good!

wmw said...

I prefer Roast Duck wor....

Tummythoz said...

Only been there for prawn mee breakfast before.
Long time no eat stew duck. Kinda forgotten the taste. But somehow I salivate more towards that salted veggie pic.

The Cooking Ninja said...

wah ... I haven't had teochew duck for a long long time. I'm missing lots of stuff staying abroad. :( wah...satay...yummy. Aiyah, should have know you all earlier, in the past I used to go up to KL quite regularly to visit my best friend but I never get to eat all these delicious food that all of you are raving about. sigh!

Pink Elle said...

Ooh that looks good! One of the best Teochew braised duck can actually be found in my little Southern hometown. They braise it till it's almost black unlike the KL versions and the meat has fully absorbed the flavour and fragrance of the braising sauce!

Do try if you ever make a trip down to Johor :)

xiu long bao said...

can i rekomen teochew quack quack from malacca since u r visiting malacca soon rite? If u recall that 'hidden gem in malacca' post, neh...that very bah pai teochew restaurant @ jonker street ah. Their teochew quack quack is veli the nice. Ooi yor, make me feel like going back for more. Remember to make reservation if u wan to giv it a try oh. U can oso dapao but duno dapao oso need 'advance notice' or not.keke...

Neko Hime said...

mmm havent eaten duck that way for a long time!

teckiee said...

My dad loves this place. I frequent this place since very young. Last time the shop was actually very dirty. Now ...got TV somemore

Precious Pea said...

Njoe: Oh yes..i tried their seafood porridge once..very smooth and flavourful. Eh..so many food bloggers out there also no more to jump to??

Kenny: I don't mind to have the rice with gravy alone. But of course with duck and other dishes, lagi best lor. LOL! I won't deprive myself with only gravy and rice.

Jason: This method very very normal. In fact i watched a tv program once saying that the soup stock kept for how many decades oledi.

wmw: Different one sista, both also different. YOu tried here before?

tummythoz: Go try one day la....who knows? You might be a regular there soon after that.

Precious Pea said...

Cooking Ninja: Aiyooo...email me when you are back ok?

pink elle: Ehh....why not you bring me there? Psstt..never been to Johor leh..passby when going Singapore considered or not?

xlb: I will be going to that Teochew Restaurant. It's in our itinerary oledi so i will make sure to try the duck..provided they have. Hehehe. Want me to tarbau for you or not?

neko hime: Sedap leh..trust me and go try.

teckie: Ya ya..and i find them quite bar bai also. Now very clean and bigger somemore. Yet always packed during weekends and got to wait for tables.

Wong said...

Their braised pork leg and mushroom are also recommended. Used to go there to have their duck feet and neck with beer for snack ... Cannot resist ... need to go there again ...

Jian said...

woah...satay looks good...alamak drooling ady...*take tissue wipe*

Jackson said...

president !! I wanna try the food there but hv no idea where is it la! Can bring me there?? PLsss...

tigerfish said...

What makes the rice? Was it just plain rice or flavored with some kind of broth? After Mickey Mouse comes the Donald Duck....quack quack! *lol*

Precious Pea said...

wong: Shall we bring wine there one day to savour their duck feet and neck? Oooo..plus their wings..i like their duck wings.

jian: LOL!! If tissue not enuff, use sponge. It absorbs better. ;)

jackson: Ok..how about next week? Weekday better, less crowd.

tigerfish: It's flavoured rice just like those Hainanese chicken rice type...but this one different. Probably use duck essence?

Tummythoz said...

Hey, call me too ok?

jason said...

Oh... I guess if it's clean, then it's ok lah. :)

team BSG said...

pheeewee when did u fast forward to 08 gave us a fright !
da duck here is v good with the eggs also.

Precious Pea said...

tummythoz: Noted and jotted!

jason: So far, no incident of food poisoning.

team bsg: Oppss...thanks! I rewinded it back to 2007 already.

Jian said...

oh do they sell "ngap sit" / ducks tongue? I had the prepacks one b4, dad's fren buy from HK...very flavourful (salty) lolz...

MeiyeN said...

interesting!!!! duck lover but never tried this type before...! thanks for recommending this place! :D

Precious Pea said...

jian: Not sure but will find out for you during my next visit.

meiyen: Wanna join us if we go maybe next week or so?

tankiasu said...

Oh one of my favourite stewed duck.

UnkaLeong said...

Wah...the teochew in me is screaming for duck!

mama bok said...

Wow..! i missed satay so much.. !! i just spotted something in the grocery store that resembles satay. but not cooked... may try it sometime soon.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online