Thursday, June 26, 2008

Seng Cheong Restaurant @ Taipa, Rua Do Cunha

Rua Do Cunha or in Chinese 官也街 is a HEAVEN to foodies. Located at the town centre at Taipa Island, this narrow street and its' surroundings have lots to offer. There are many restaurants offering Chinese, Portugese, and Macanese as well as Hong Kong-style cafe delicacies. And not forgetting shops after shops selling local snacks such as the famous almond cookies, made-on-spot egg rolls, peanut nougats, meat jerkys and many many more. A place where one would not go hungry as persistent sellers will keep offering you samples of their goodies as you walk from one shop to another.

It was dinner time and we decided try one of the Chinese restaurants there and Seng Cheong Restaurant was the chosen one. Reason being, yummy pictures of their signature dishes that were displayed at the glass mirror and one of those was Crab Porridge. We had to wait for about 10 minutes before being ushered upstairs. A very typical Chinese restaurant; crowded and noisy. We were lucky to get a table all for ourselves whereas I noticed a few couples had to share a table.
1

Everything in the menu looked so good. I was torn between having crab porridge and crab curry, both their signature dish. I noticed every table seem to have at least one bowl of porridge (some were sharing a table, remember?) so can't go wrong right? While waiting to be served, we ordered a bottle of Macau beer to share. Priced at HKD13 (~RM5.45), it tasted more like sugar-free shandy to me; mild and tasteless.

P6220753

First dish to arrive was the Deep Fried Squid (HKD60 = RM25.20) served with black vinegar. It was lightly battered, deep fried and tossed with garlic and sliced chillies. Very tasty indeed. Crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Slightly salty though, but goes really well with white rice.
P6220760

Who could have thought a simple dish of broccoli with canned clams (HKD60 = RM25.20) would taste so good? The broccoli was boiled to perfection; green and crunchy! And the gravy that coated the broccoli was so tasty. Thumbs up!
P6220763

When I saw the picture of the steamed eel (HKD216 = RM90.70) in their menu, I knew I had to order it. The portion was huge and the size of the eel was GIGANTIC! Steamed with black bean sauce, this dish was delicious. The gravy was so tasty that we practically drown our rice with it. The eel was firm, bouncy and sweet, and of course very chunky and meaty too hence not much bones to look out for. I enjoyed the chewy skin too. The whole dish was soooo PERFECT. Funny, while I was reminishing the heavenly moment, my heart ache a little and I felt like crying.
P6220767

Just look at the size of the eel. Bigger than the base of a soup spoon.
P6220771

Another picture of the eel.
P6220772

Steamed Chicken wrapped with Lotus Leaf is one of their signature dish too. There were bits and pieces of Chinese ham, some shitake mushrooms and red dates. Very strong lotus leaf taste which I find a bit too overpowering for me. The portion is priced at HKD60 (RM25.20) for 1/2 chicken.
P6220776

Stir fry clams (HKD40 = RM16.80) turned out a bit normal. It didn't manage to leave a lasting impression but probably the reason was because I was too busy attacking the eel which was served at the same time as the clams.
P6220773

*Drums rolling*.....and here comes the Crab Porridge! Minimum order is one crab which is sold by weight. I cannot remember the exact price as the waiter told me the price per catty, in which I had a hard time converting into gram *shame on me, I know I know* to see if worth ordering. It wouldn't make any difference anyway cos I have made up my mind that I am going to order this even if the price is not worth it at all. The portion was big and more than enough to feed five of us. But it turned out, while Hubby was happily savouring the porridge, only my dad and I were busy attacking the crab as my in-laws were already full.
P6220777

Yummy! They call this water crabs and I wonder if it is the same with our local mud crab. However, I find the texture quite similar to flower crabs; sweet and soft. I would prefer firmer crab flesh. The texture of the porridge was smooth and mushy but sadly, I detected a very very mild burnt taste. Nevertheless, it was still a very enjoyable bowl of porridge.

P6220778

Look at the colour of the porridge. Golden yellow in colour, thanks to the cholesterol laden crab roes. Yummy!
P6220780

The total damage for this meal was about HKD600 (RM252) including rice, tea and 2 bottle of beer for the 5 of us. Not bad at all isn't it? There are a few other signature dishes that I would love to try and definitely I will be back!
P6220752

Seng Cheong Restaurant is located at:
28 - 30 Rua Do Cunha
Taipa Island
Reachable by the following buses: 11, 15, 21, 28A 30, 33, 34 and 35

24 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahah not bad not bad..BUT HOW DID 5 of you eat so much!??

I didnt think the eel was so huge until i saw the fillet..its as big as a fish! Alot of bones?

jason said...

The first eel I thought of when I saw the big piece of meat was the Moray Eel. Is that edible though? :p

Live2Talk said...

Thanks to you, when I go for holiday in Macau I'll know where to look for good food. Crab Porridge, wait for me :P

tigerfish said...

You came back from your Macau trip? That's fast. I'm so hungry now....
I did not really explore Taipa the last time. I shd have gone after you..so that I got recommendations from you.:)

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: We over ordered as we didn't expect portion to be that generous. So when the porridge came last, we were all very full oledi. The eel looks like fish fillet right? Not much bones...that is why i love it so much.

jason: Not too sure what type of eel this is but definitely not those common yellow eels we have here. Next time i will ask them to show me the raw ones.

live2talk: So Macau is now in your list? Do try and I just found out..HKies loves this place too!

tigerfish: If was a very short trip over the weekends. More posts to come.

CUMI & CIKI said...

wow to the macau beer ( i hv yet 2try) and DOUBLE wow! to the food! Man that crab looks out of this world :P

Raynebow said...

Nice nice...*jots down notes* Will be on my agenda if i go to Macau! Water-crabs are less meaty (more water mahh) than mud crabs, and their flesh are softer.

mimid3vils said...

the eel looks like the "ma yau" fish that v normally eat... so big!!

Precious Pea said...

cumi & ciki: I still find Tsingtao beer the best. This one is too light and tasteless. But the food saved the day! Yummy!

raynebow: Do put it in your list. Highly recommended. When going?

mimid3vils: Yalor..so big right? And that was only half an eel.

barbie said...

*salute* *salute* Macau also can find good food - you're good. All the pics of the food looks yummy, even the ones you say are so-so. Ur blog shall be my food guide when I return to HK or Macau for a visit (goodness knows when that will be :p)!

Big Boys Oven said...

this is yummy delicious! I live the first pic, so well taken!

thank you for your the compliment on our new creation, the raspberry macaron tartelette, YES we will be having a class on this coming July. These range of tarts are really awesome, got feedback from the test-tasters!! :)

christine said...

the eel definetely look huge enough..and everything just seem so yummylicious..

i wonder how can that small sum of ppl eat such a big sum of food.haha

Jun said...

waah... the seafood looks so good!!! i've been surviving on porridge for the last few days *sniff*

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

u have found a good place to eat in macau, where i have not. i am so hungry, n so upset with myself for not booking a seat to macau, or even bali. now tt air fares r going up, not everybody can fly...

Precious Pea said...

barbie: Actually there are lots of good eating places in Macau. I miss this place so much.

bbo: OOo..ok. I have very soft spot for berries..I shall see if I am free to join on that day.

christine: We over-ordered cos we never expect it would come in such generous portion. BUt we never waste food so no matter how also must finish everything. Hehehe. Psst..we also have big stomach mah.

jun: Aiyoo..are you feeling much better now? Take care yah.

terri: Am sure AirAsia will come out with special deal soon. Aii..i know what you mean. Taking premium airlines like MAS is such a luxury now. SO sad that I cannot even go Melb this year cos the price is way toooo high! Settled for Gold Coast via Airasia instead. :(

wmw said...

What a feast! The crab porridge looks interesting.

Precious Pea said...

wmw: I just could not imagine how the porridge would taste like if hairy crabs are used instead...ooo....'am fainting at the thought of it'...

Jackson said...

waaa....next time i know where should i go. Actually is god to go travel with at least more than 4 person as we can order more food...

J2Kfm said...

RM252 for 5 pax is a steal, considering this is in Macau, not Msia, plus the amount of seafood ordered.
i can imagine the sweetness of the porridge, and the utterly delicious squids and eels.
yeah, agreed with jackson, travelling in groups=chances to try more stuff!

New Kid on the Blog said...

oh my... the eel and the water crab!

ling239 said...

the deep fried squid must be very good.....

Precious Pea said...

jackson: True...more people more food!

j2kfm: Good deal right? I find it not pricey at all lor somemore the portion at least double ofwhat we get in Malaysia.

nkotb: :) Nice hor?

ling239: Oh yes, very good indeed.

Anonymous said...

I just came back from Macau 2 weeks back and I have to say that I totally agree with Precious Pea that the crab porridge is super solid!!

Other yummy stuff on Taipa Island are Bird's Nest egg tart and Pork Chop bun....looking at those pictures makes me super hungry again!

Petite:Plus said...

I'm going macau this weekend. anyone knows what time they closed? thought of going there for dinner.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online