Sunday, June 08, 2008

SUANG LE RIVER RESTAURANT @ KUALA SELANGOR

UPDATED on 8 June 2008, 7.34 p.m.
Surprise surprise! My previous post on this restaurant has been chosen and featured in today's Star Metro. I guess my terrifying toilet experience was worth it after all! HAHA!

********


Remember this shabby place?
6

Or this 'scare-the-poo-out-of-me' toilet? If you have not read my earlier post on this, please click
here.
10

I never say no to good food. Even when I have to dine in an unpleasant or somehow a bit unhygenic-looking places as long as I don't end up with food poisoning. And this place, I promised to return cos the food we had during the first visit was really good. And yes, I did return two weeks ago for lunch after I finished with my 'seafood shopping'. Just the three of us this time; Hubby, Papa and myself. Hubby and I got a bit overboard and ordered way too much food for the 3 of us as we found out that the serving size for 3 is the same as for 6! I felt so embarassed to be so gluttony when diners at the next table stared at our table full of dishes.

First dish served was Hot and Sour Prawns priced at RM15.60 for 300 grams. There were about 9-10 large-sized prawns and at that kind of price, it was a GOOD deal! Needless to say, the prawns were FRESH! Initially I was a bit upset at Hubby for having it hot and sour instead of steamed. But he made the right choice after all as the tasty hot and sourish gravy goes so well with white rice.
P5240382

When we walked into the restaurant, we saw a Malay man came to deliver 3 live-and-kicking mudcrabs. Guess where it ended? Our table of course. Priced at RM36, the crabs were steamed with chinese cooking wine and lots of shredded ginger, some chopped birds eye chilies and drizzled with fried shallots oil. One word: PERFECT!
P5240383

Also as we walked in, we spotted live mantis prawns in a huge tank and 6 of the unlucky ones ended up on our table. Our salt-baked mantis prawns costs RM2.30 each whereas during our previous trip, it was only RM2.00 each. Funny enough, we also discovered the live mantis prawn we bought home from the seafood stall had reduced from RM1.50 to RM1.20 each. So why is this restaurant raising its price then? Doesn't sound logic right? Anyway....still worth every cents paid as this dish was the highlight of the lunch. The taste was just right and it wasn't too salty the way I expected it to be. It was cooked to perfection. The flesh was superbly sweet and juicy. For this I shall return again!

P5240386

A generous portion of stir-fry Romaine lettuce for only RM6. The serving of this veggie was more than twice of the serving size in KL. Big enough to serve a table of 10.
P5240388

The last dish is a dish which I have tried during my previous visit. It was also the reason for my return. Kung Po Baby Squid at RM10. Portion so huge, you just cannot believe the price until you see the receipt. However, major disappointment as it doesn't taste the same as before. The dish seems to be a 'cross breed' between Kung Po and Kam Heong as it was loaded with curry leaves and dried shrimps! I suggest they should rename this dish as Kung Heong or Kam Po (take a pick!). It was very salty too and I vowed to never ever order this dish at this place again.
P5240390

The total price for this meal including rice and several cans of soft drink came up to RM91.80 for 3 of us. I reckon that the dishes we order can fit for 6 people! Cheap isn't it?


Suang Le River Karaoke Restaurant is located at:
Bagan Pasir
45500 Tanjong Karang, Selangor
H/P: 019-690.6788, 019-233.5296


19 comments:

Kenny Mah // Life for Beginners said...

Wahh.... very attentive leh. Nothing escapes your eyes... Them mudcrabs and mantis prawns dun know what hit them! (Or shall I say "ate" them? Lol.)

Simply...Gluten-free said...

I love discovering great food dives. This one looks like a winner.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

organising a floggers trip over there?

J2Kfm said...

yeah, well worth the price paid. but pity the baby squids did not deliver. but at RM10, don't say you wont ever order them again, give them another chance?

vialentino said...

hi there....blog walking here....u got a very nice blog here and took a while for me to read ur interesting post and viewing ur pics....care for blog link? Wanna add u to my foodie blog roll.

I want to reco the original fried porridge at Serdang @ Kedah....view my blog to see the food pics.

Nastasshea@Nesh said...

Hey I saw the article sourcing from your bloggie!! Weeee!!
Check it out!
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/6/8/sundaymetro/21443516&sec=sundaymetro

Jaded said...

Congrats on being featured on Sunday Metro !! :)
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/6/8/sundaymetro/21443516&sec=SundayMetro

team bsg said...

3 of you eating for 6 !

thats a marvellous
& near-perfect seafood fest

would have been perfect if 4 more had been there too

Precious Pea said...

Kenny: Haha..yalor..my eyes were like scanner the moment i step into the restaurant. But since i enjoyed them so much, they worth dying for me lah! HAHAHA!

Simply..Gluten-free: Thank you and yes, this place is a big discovery for me.

NJoe: Actually can can..but simple not for the faint-hearted.

j2kfm: I think i will order the baby squid cook in a different way, deep fried maybe. But the portion, really unbelievable huge.

vialentino: Harlow! And thanks for dropping me a comment. I heard about the fried porridge but yet to try. Will hop over to your blog soon and check it out and of course, glad to exchange link too :)

Nesh and Jaded: Thanks for the link. Yes, i was surprised to see it in the paper this morning. And my revisit post...just in time too. :)

team bsg: 4? Which 4? Please enlighten me..hehee.

Kavi said...

Well done fren...happy to see your blog being featured in STAR...keep up the good job....

And for the food...it really looks good...yummy!!!!

ling239 said...

i miss mantis prawns !!!

Nic (KHKL) said...

hmmm, come to think of it, i also get confused between kung poh and kam heong despite the distinctive aromas...perhaps it's the overwhelming sweet dark soya sauce lah.

hey, congrats on your star feature!

Precious Pea said...

kavi: Thank you :)

ling239: I think mantis prawns is in season. I only managed to see live mantis prawns for sale this time round. Last time i went, can't even find those dead ones.

nic: Thanks :). Actually most of the kung po style in KL is not the authentic type. The real stuff has got sourish (black vinegar) and spiciness (peppercorn) to it. Nowadays they use lots of dark soy and dried chili and call it kung po oledi. Kam Heong is the normal ones with lots of dried shrimp, cili padi, curry leaves and at times, even curry powder.

vialentino said...

yeah....the fried porridge was something different for me...the taste was superb!

Tummythoz said...

Waa with such publicity surely will be getting another special privilege card soon! Pity no mud crabs when I visited but the flower ones were good too.

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

congrats, worth the visit to the shabby shack!

Precious Pea said...

vialentino: Ok ok..am convinced now. Do you have the address to this place?

tummythoz: Yalor...am lucky also cos i went in the same time the malay guy walked in with the crabs! BUt i was looking forward for roe crabs though.

terri: Hahaha..yes..actually, I don't mind paying them a 3rd visit soon lor.

ling239 said...

serious ?
i was over at yong tat last sunday, and they told me no mantis pranws.... >.<"

Precious Pea said...

ling239: Issit!?! Maybe cos of the rain during the past 2 weeks?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online