Monday, July 14, 2008

AQUATIC PLANTS

Not sure if anyone would agree with me but personally I find aquatic plant gives a sense of peace and tranquility. Perhaps this could be due to the presence of calm and clear water and at many times, the presence of little fishes co-habitating with the plant. I am glad that I have quite a few varieties in my garden now. Wanna see? Read on...

I am particularly drawn to flowering aquatic plants especially water lilies. While it is easy to maintain water lilies (as long as there is enough water and sunlight), I also found out that the price for water lilies are not cheap and it varies according to the colour. One of the most beautiful water lilies I have encountered so far is at this nursery in Jalan Gasing. Beige petals with bright yellow centre. From afar, I was attracted to it like a bee. Absolutely stunning. Sadly, the lady owner refused to sell. "A rare colour", she told me. So, if you have any of this yellow water lilies in your garden to spare, can spare me one please?
IMGP4253

Another beautiful combo: Sweet purple with bright yellow. I can't remember exactly how much it was, but definitely not cheap.
IMGP4252

I ended up with something similar to the picture before this...but with a much lighter purple shade. This is common I guess as it is available at almost every nurseries. Given to us free and I am very happy with it as it has been flowering continuously and at times, more than one stalk. Just for your information, living happily together with this water lily is my Bluey, my deep blue fighting fish.
P7130906

I simply adores Water Hyacinth which produce violet flowers on a terminal spike. It's a free-floating plant and grows pretty easily. However, it can form thick mats (similar to roots) and it grows at a very fast rate. So do trim off the mats from time to time to avoid it invading the entire surface of the pond that can cause oxygen depletions.
IMGP4251

I have two pots of this water plants in my courtyard garden growing rather well. While one of it is sitting on a huge pot on its own, the smaller plant is put inside my fish pond. . Initially I had the water lilies in the pond but it was brutally attacked by my fish! I find this plant perfect as the stems are just too long and tough for my fish to attack. It's a tough plant as just water and a tablet of fertilizer once a month will do. And it flowers too!
P7130912

Usually there are more than one stem branching out from the plant at all directions. And along the stems are small buds bearing small and sweet-looking white flowers which only blooms during the day and closes back at night. Very lasting flowers as the same stem could bloom for days. Once it wither, just cut the stem away. Easy eh?
P7130923

Lastly, another floating plant known as Pistia or commonly known as water cabbage due to the thick soft leaves that form a rosette. I got mine at RM1 per rosette and it multiplies at an alarming fast rate. Sadly, it didn't grow very well due to constant attack from my lion heads. By the way, meet 'Ulcer' who came up to the surface the moment he saw me. With the two white dots on his head, you should know how he got his name.
P7130916

The only plant that I yearn for now is lotus. I guess that would be the next plant that I will get for my garden. Now, do you agree with me now that aquatic plants are simply beautiful?

31 comments:

daphne said...

Those flowers are so pretty!!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Oh yes, they're definitely very pretty! I love them too, but sadly, I killed most of mine. :-(

MochaSourcream said...

Wow... I love Lilies... Water Lilies r also so pretty... I just copy n paste your link to my beloved.. next line will be -- shall we try keeping one of these? Hahaha

Live2Talk said...

They are a beautiful sight when you need the calming effects my dear :P

PureGlutton said...

Wow...they're so pretty! If you don't have fish in the pond, do you need to put anything inside the water to prevent mosquito larvae? Scared of Aedes wor.

Precious Pea said...

daphne: Nice hor? I enjoys looking at them every morning before going to work. Destress before the traffic jam.

luscious sista: Aiyoo..you dried them up issit? Very easy to take care only. Make sure enough water can oledi.

mochasourcream: Hehe..what did your beloved replied? Well, he should be glad you are not asking for a dog!

live2talk: I know i know!! Just look at the flowers and my fishes can destress a bit. ;)

pureglutton: If not fish, can put anti-mozzie powder which is available from the nurseries and even hypermarkets. If not mistaken, not harmful to fishes. I think so, much check the instruction.

CUMI & CIKI said...

pretty pretty!

wmw said...

I love looking at them, and even your fish in the last shot seems to agree. Heheh...

Nic (KHKL) said...

i like your garden...oh, and the water hyacinths..that's why i spent so much time shooting your garden that day...hehehe...

Life for Beginners | Kenny Mah said...

Like Pak Nic, I spent tons of time shooting your plants but they no come out as nice as your pics wor... :(

MochaSourcream said...

Ahhh... that's because I already have a dog!!! Ngek ngek ngek...

Lianne said...

OMG, what a coincidence! Juergen was just telling me last night that he's gonna place some water lilies (Seerose in German) into an existing pot, and will be building some water feature in it too! :-)

ling239 said...

at least now i know this is Water Hyacinth ~ ^_^

Ulcer ? wat a name...
he can pose for u too ~

Xiu Long Bao said...

hmm...somehow i find that Ulcer looks like Pea :p

Nice garden you have!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

yes!

Cynthia said...

Your water lillies are beautiful. I can just imagine how colourful your garden is.

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha u blog abt flowers too?

Precious Pea said...

cumi & ciki: Hubby is growing sunflowers too..will snap a pic of it once it bloom.

wmw: I think they enjoys munching on them more.

nic: Since that day you all visited, Hubby did some minor changes to the garden. More flowers now. And the rose corner also expanded.

kenny: It took me months to compile all those pictures and dozens of shots of each single plant. Hehehe..you know what i mean right?

mochasourcream: Hehe...so what did he say?

lianne: Hehehe..this shows we all got good taste? LOL! Snap some pictures and show me when he is done with the water feature ok?

Ling: I named all my fishes and it's not easy. So have to find something in their body that I can easily identify, hence Ulcer cos of the two white dots on his head. He is a cute fella. Super gluttony and simply adores sight of human (means feeding time!)

xlb: Looks like Pea?? Hmmm..could it be becos both also have square head?

terri: I knew it! Somehow we both have similar taste. ;) I heard you got an AMAZING garden too.

cynthia: I guess later I should do a post on other flower plants i have in my garden. Hubby planted lots of roses and gerberas. Ooo..and we also have a Asian herbs garden.

Precious Pea said...

NJoe: Tot that would brightens up my Monday mood ma. And it did lor. Hehehe!

Lianne said...

yes i will!

MochaSourcream said...

He said no problem... well basically he has no choice... becos NO is not accepted... hahaha

mimid3vils said...

I like flowers too...

Precious Pea said...

lianne: I wanna see German water lilies same or not..otherwise you send me the seed, can?

mochasourcream: Wahh..that's the way girl! *HIGH 5*

mimid3vils: Girl thingy, i supposed? Hehehe.

lil'Chomel said...

wah, your plants are growing very well. So nice... I'm already de-stressed by looking at the pics. Hehehe. I was kinda worried abt mosquitoes breeding too. Thanks for the tips. I think you should blog more on gardening.

Cokeworld Citizen said...

woa your fish is vegetarian piranha or wat? now that u'd mention, i just realise i like to look at calm ponds with plants. Look lah but no take care of it. lol...ulcer...wat a name...I would never thought of giving ulcer as a pet name XD aiyoyo...

Precious Pea said...

lil' chomel: Glad you like the photos i put up. So so so pretty aren't they? I am compiling on all the flowers available in my garden now. Will take sometime as they don't bloom at the same time, especially the roses.

cokeworld citizen: The love greens i guess..now wonder they shit like mad. LOL!! The name Ulcer is cool ma...better than Spotty or WhitePatch or Patches right?

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I've always loved waterlilies, lotus, and water hyacinth. So delicate. You're so lucky.

Precious Pea said...

wandering chopsticks: Your garden have any water plants? I won't be surprised if you already have everything. I showed your garden posts to my hubby and he was SOOO impressed!

Calvin Kong said...

very nice..

is it hard to keep the flower alive? as in water and sunlight only?

i have tried numerous time to start some normal planted plants and flower but always end up dead. i give them sunlight, water and even nutriens..

i wonder why...

Camemberu said...

Astonishingly gorgeous! So peaceful and calming too! Great photos!!!!

jason said...

If you went to the Grand Palace in BKK b4, you'll see most of the lilies there are purple but paler colour with yellow in the center :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online