Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Boon Wah Steamboat and Seafood House @ Taman Berkeley, Klang

Updated on 22 February 2009: This post was chosen for today's Star Metro!
**********

It has been 7 months since I moved to Setia Alam, but not even once we venture into Klang for food despite just a stone throw away. Somehow, I always have the impression that the traffic in Klang town is horrible and we certainly wouldn't want to be stuck in the jam at an unfamiliar place. Last weekend, my Makan Gang spent the day at our place and Wong (makan gang member) suggested to have dinner at Boon Wah in Taman Berkeley. I was excited of course as I have never been to Taman Berkeley and I don't even have any idea which part of Klang it is located. According to Wong, Boon Wah is one of the many famous restaurants in Klang and instantly, I seconded his suggestion.

True enough, Boon Wah is famous judging from the crowd. Since Wong is a regular patron, he took charge with the ordering task while we waited eagerly for our food. First to arrive, Fried Tang Hoon/Glass Noodle (RM10) looked promising as I could smell the wok hei or aroma while I was busy snapping photos of it. The tang hoon was stir-fried together with shrimps, chicken cubes, shredded cabbages, sliced egg omelet and dried shrimps. The aroma was wonderful but sadly, the tang hoon was not soaked long enough, hence it was a bit too dry and hard.

1

Steamed Prawns (RM30). One spoonful of the broth will send you to heaven. Full of sweetness from the prawns. Simply divine! While I enjoyed the broth bubbling hot cos it was served on a metal food warmer with fire underneath, it caused the prawns to overcook and small pores popping up from the egg white.
2

The Stir-Fry Bamboo Clams with Ginger and Spring Onions (RM15) was flavourful and aromatic. I quite enjoyed this dish when I was stopped by Hubby. Apparently some of the bamboo clams were not that fresh and knowing that I have sensitive stomach, I was advised not to touch the dish. But I still attacked the ginger and spring onion coated with tasty gravy.
3

Oyster Omelet (RM15). Taste wise not too bad and certainly not starchy and lumpy like some places. My only complain was the oysters. So tiny, there were not any bigger than kidney bean. Hubby said he only enjoyed the sweet crunchy sliced onions. I guess next time we should just order onion omelet?
4

Deep Fried Fish (RM40), if not mistaken, Wong ordered a whole Garoupa. It was highly recommended by the waitress. The whole fish was chopped into small pieces, coated with thin batter and deep fried until golden brown. She said that we can eat it on its own or to dip it into our steamboat. I only tried one piece eating it just like that. Batter was thin and meat was sweet, soft and juicy. Quite bland though without any dipping sauce but certainly a great snack to go with beer.
5

Baked Salt & Pepper Mud Crab (RM35). Best dish of the night! The crabs were fresh and meaty. The amount of salt and pepper used was just right. Too salty will end up with a sore tongue and this was just PERFECT!! The best thing about eating with my Makan Gang is, they don't really fancy crabs and at most they only take two pieces and yet, they will still order it. Of course, I don't mind at all. *grin*
6

Boon Wah is famous for their traditional charcoal steamboat and personally I feel that using charcoal to cook tastes better than using gas or electric cooker. The only downside of using charcoal would be the heat from the burning charcoal and being not able to control the fire.
10

Priced at RM13 per set, we ordered for 2 pax to share. The set came with the usual stuffs like pork balls, assorted fish balls, fish noodle, prawns, 1/4 portion of a pomfret, slices of cuttlefish, fried beancurd sheet, quail eggs and some greens. We had clear soup base and not sure if they have other options. The soup tasted more like diluted soup with salt. My Makan Gang member insisted that it tasted more like salted veggie with water. Big big disappointment.
7


Total bill for 5 of us including tea came up to RM175. Overall I find that the cooked dishes were not too bad; tasty and flavourful. However, I don't find their charcoal steamboat anything to shout about. Anyway, according to Jackson, Bak Kut Teh is served during the day.

If you wish to give this place a try, Boon Wah Steamboat and Seafood House is located at:
No. 1 Leboh Lang, Berkeley Garden
41150 Klang, Selangor
Tel: 03-3341.8313

Location (copied from Jackson):
From KL after Klang Toll, go straight and you will see a bridge. Go up to the bridge and you will see Jusco Klang on your right. Go further and there is a bridge again. Keep to the left under the bridge and you will see a roundabout, take a 3 o'clock turn. Go straight and within a very short distance, turn to the first right junction. Go straight again and you will see Boon Wah, corner left of the second road.


29 comments:

christine said...

i've always fond of eating here...especially their charcoal steamboat..and their prawn is definetly succulent

Yi May said...

my doggy is name Goldie. Hes an English Spaniel

Jackson said...

waaa... so much good food!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

Bamboo clams look so juicy! Never tried this version before. I usually have them kam heong style. Klang very far la...dunno how many toll I have to go through... o_0

The oysters look like eye balls :P

Crunchasarus Rex said...

Charcoal steamboat..? awesome..!! haven't had those for centuries.. :) i didn't think they exist anymore..??
muahahha!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha me also dunno where dis is..i knw in berkeley got some tai chow place with damn good mantis prawn..thats abt it..and yes..BKT soon..

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

the steamed prawn looks really nice and i prefer lot of white egg they put. good!!!!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

ivy, i'm trying to loose some fat b4 i go to penang & this post has me crying..! i think m'sian food's better than sing anytime, n cheaper too.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Bamboo clams? Man! I'm always seeing so much seafood that I want to try on your blog.

JENCOOKS said...

cool...that was so much to eat.
12.20 now and I ate duck porridge for dinner and hungry by now..

Precious Pea said...

christine: You are a regular patron too? What are their famous dishes?

yi may: Very handsome boy. Maybe Pumpkin and Pea can be friends with Goldie :) Pumpkin is extremely friendly with dogs.

jackson: Well, with Makan Gang usually the table will be filled with food.

bangsar-babe: Actually this style not too bad, can taste the sweetness of the clams but must be fresh though.

crunchasarus rex: Nowadays we only find those using gas or electricity. I know there is another restaurant in KL serving charcoal steamboat, along Jln Yap Kwan Seng.

NJoe: Really? Mantis Prawns? Please find out which one ok?

alvin: The egg white infused with the prawn juice, so good hor?

terri: Hahaha...why not lose some fat AFTER the Penang trip??

wandering chopsticks: Make a trip to Malaysia! I volunteer to bring you around to try all the exotic seafood here. Keen to take up my offer?

jencooks: Yummy! Duck porridge from where? You cooked it? That is why i never visit food blogs after 10.00 p.m. cos i know i will run for supper if i do.

daphne said...

I have never tasted lala until my last visit and it was soo good. That loosk fantastic and the price is decent too for 5 ppl and all those food!

Camemberu said...

Wah everything looks sooooo delicious, I cannot tahannnn!!! :P~~

ling239 said...

i know this steamboat place!!
and i love the prawns hahahaaa....

babe_kl said...

hmm looks good la

pea, fancy cooking some noodles for this year's Merdeka Virtual Open House? This year's theme is Mee and My Malaysia.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

PP,
If I ever make my way to Malaysia, I'm gonna be obnoxious and knock immediately on your door. You won't be able to get rid of me. I'll have your homemade roast pork and roast duck, then you'll feed me for four hours straight until you have to wheel me home because I'll be so fat. ;) I've already got my list: bamboo clams, flower crab, mantis prawns. Mmm.

Precious Pea said...

daphne: First time trying lala?? I am surprised. Wat took you so long to discover yummy lala?? I love pipis in aust but prefer the local version. Tinier but sweeter.

camemberu: Hehehe...same ler..i also cannot tahan the food in your blog.

ling239: Hmm...since you like the prawns, then i guess it was my luck then for it to be overcooked that night.

babe_kl: I will try to crack my head and think of something. Must be something new? Never mind..i go over to check out from your blog.

wandering chopsticks: Hahaha...come come come. More than happy to welcome you to my place. Roast pork no prob but roast duck..err..buy from outside better. But why 4 hours only??

J2Kfm said...

haha, kudos for bullying your Makan Gang to order crabs to appease your cravings! =P

pity bout the other small gripes though. the oysters in the or chien somehow looks like la-la ...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Hmmm. I've been to quite a number of places in Berkeley, but I don't think I've eaten at this place before. Thx for the recommendation!

Big Boys Oven said...

yes I was told this is a good place to makan makan!

Cokeworld Citizen said...

charcoal generate more heat izzit? aiyoh its midnight and I am hungry. This is absolutely not helping :S....

tigerfish said...

What a pity the steamed prawns came out overcooked! I love prawns cooked this way.

Fortesfidelis said...

for rm40, the garoupa is cheap. It's quite difficult to find steam boat restaurants that cook using charcoal. It really gives another dimension to the flavour.

jason said...

I'm going to Klang tomorrow! (no kidding, I am really going :) )

Wandering Chopsticks said...

PP,
I was remembering the four hours as how long you went on that massive eating frenzy. Maybe you ate for longer? If you did, I don't think my belly can take it. :P

Life for Beginners | Kenny Mah said...

Them prawns would have been the highlight for me if I were dining with ya... Heaven's broth! :D

Julian Si said...

My experience at Boon Wah :-)

http://juliansi.blogspot.com/2008/08/boon-wah-seafood-taman-berkeley-klang.html

Sure brings back memories of growing up in Berkeley Gardens!!! Hmm, I remember KIMISAWA, anyone else remembers?

Jason Wong said...

You are lucky that you did not get food poisoning from the not so fresh clam. Anyway, I may try to persuade my sis to go there to try the place out or may be my colleagues when in Shah Alam for meetings.

ahsen said...

i recognize the boon wah bos,or you 1 booking table u can call the bos phone nomber 0162174999 or 0162174888 bos name is ah ting...

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online