Monday, July 07, 2008

EAT TILL YOU DROP @ PETALING STREET


"Should I just delete those photos? Or should I post on it?"

It was a long forgotten trip, a trip which I couldn't even remember when it took place. If not mistaken, this food excursion was way back in October 2007 with my fellow food blogger buddies, namely
Boolicious, WMW and Jason. The four of us ventured into Petaling Street one fine morning in search for, what else? FOOD! There are simply too many stalls and goodies offered here so no way we could conquer all. But we did fairly well and now that I looked back at those photos I took, am rather impressed that we managed to cover so much of Petaling Street in half a morning!!

So, are you ready??? Here goes:

#1 Hon Kee Porridge (Jalan Hang Lekir; 5 a.m. - 1 p.m.)

If you fancy having porridge for breakfast, Hon Kee is the place to go. This stall has been around for over 60 years old and one could get a good bowl of porridge for breakfast as early as 5 a.m.
1

There are a variety of condiments that you can choose from to go with your porridge such as raw fish, chicken, century egg, pork meatballs and pork innards, all from RM4 onwards per bowl.
With the recent price increase in almost anything and everything, I shall not itemized the price here as I do strongly believe, they would have increased their price by now.
2

Jason's Shredded Chicken Porridge
3

WMW's Century Egg Porridge
4

I had the highly recommended Raw Fish Porridge. A plate of finely sliced grass carp (Wan Yue in Cantonese) was served separately with lots of shredded ginger, spring onions and a dash of sesame oil. You can either eat the fish raw aka sashimi-style or to pour the whole plate into the piping hot porridge to cook it slightly. I opt for the latter as certainly do not want to run around Petaling Street searching for toilet. The porridge was boiled to perfection! Smooth, mushy and flavourful! It was simply wonderful and comforting to have such a nice bowl of porridge for breakfast!
5

We got a bit greedy even knowing that more food awaiting for us but we still could not help ourselves from ordering fried crullers to go with our porridge! Yummy! What a perfect match!
6

You may wish to add some crunchy and delicious deep-fried pork intestines to your porridge too! Yumz!
7


#2 Chee Cheong Fun (corner shop opposite Hong Leong Bank; 7 a.m - 4.30 p.m.)
While we had porridge, Boolicious opted for Chee Cheong Fun from a stall which is located at at the corner of Jalan Hang Lekir and Petaling Street. You can check out Boo's post on this place here. Not bad at all as I simply love the softness of the thin noodle with tiny bits and pieces of dried shrimps. Personally, I think it would be tastier with just a dash of soya sauce, chilli sauce and some greem picked chilies.8


#3 Air Mata Kucing (Junction of Petaling St and Jalan Hang Lekir; 10 a.m. - 11 p.m.)
When I was a little girl, a visit to Petaling Street would not be complete without having a drink at this famous Air Mata Kucing stall or Dried Longan and Lo Han Kuo drink sweetened with rock sugar. Located just right in front of Hong Leong Bank (yes, opposite Hon Kee Porridge) it would be impossible for one to miss. A popular drink for one to cool down after shopping under such hot weather. Pheww!
9

Refreshing and soothing to the throat. Aaahh..perfect way to wash down our meal.

10


#4 Sze Ngan Chye
(Jalan Petaling; 6 a.m. - 3 p.m.)

Sze Ngan is the name of this more than 40-year-old roast duck stall. Sze Ngan Chye literally means 4-eyed man but weird, the guy who owns the stall doesn't wearany glasses. Contact lens maybe?
11

Famous for its roasted duck, we gave this a miss due to limited stomach space allocation problem.
12

Instead, Boolicious and I went for the Duck Feet Parcel of Ngap Kiok Pau. In simpler description, basically it is duck feet and duck liver wrapped with duck instestine dipped with sweetish savoury sauce. I just love chewing on the chewy intestines and munching on the duck feet. Three words to descrie the duck feet parcel: Tasty, Tasty and Tasty!

13


#5 Madras Lane
We then walked off fro Petaling Street and enter into the wet market heading to......
14

....another food heaven, Madras Lane. There are many stalls here offering any variety to choose from and we had a hard time deciding what to eat. This is definitely NOT a place where you can simply sit and order from any stall you want. Some stalls are very territorial and refused to send the food over if you happen to sit at their competitor's table. Remember to choose your stall before choosing your table.
15

Jason was craving for Assam Laksa. Probably he wanted something sourish to ease digestion. His bowl of Assam Laksa sure looks good (*gulp* I just swallowed my saliva just looking at the photo) with generous amount of chunky pieces of fish. I remembered that it didn't taste as good as it looked and I tried to reconfirm with Jason a short while ago and his replies was "I cannot remember already".
16

Also from the same stall, the girls shared a bowl of fiery mean-looking curry laksa that looked very promising with fresh bloody red cockles, spongy fried pork skin, crunchy long beans and tauhu puffs soaking the rich coconut curry broth. I do have cravings for curry laksa from time to time and this definitely would makes me purr with satisfaction.
18


#6 Iced Cendol (Madras Lane; 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.)
From our table, we were eyeing at this drink stall that serves iced cendol and business seems pretty good too. We did not order any while eating as I mentioned earlier, this place is very territorial so we finished up our food and sat at their table instead.

19

The Iced Cendol here is very much different from the Indian version. The concoction of coconut milk and cendol were poured over shaved iced and topped with rose syrup and gula melaka. I would say, it looked more like ABC (air batu campur) or ice kacang. I definitely prefer the Indian version which is thicker and richer in taste. 22

Do note that most stalls at Madras Lane are closed on Mondays.


#7 Happy Meal Cafe (Jalan Tun HS Lee)
No matter how glutton a person is, there is limitation to one's stomach. We decided to take a walk to digest a little and Boolicious suggested we make a stop at Happy Meal Cafe.
23

At the glass panel, I saw lots of goodies displayed; durian tarts, pineapple tarts, coconut tarts, egg tarts, durian swiss roll and the list goes on and on...
25

But we were here solely for the durian cream puff! Sold in a pack of 4 pieces, those puffs were mini in size but BIG in taste! A must try for durian fan.
26


#8 Soya Bean and Tau Fu Fa (Along Petaling Street)
I have been drinking a lot of liquid that morning and yet I did not have the urge to ease myself. This showed how dehydrated I was. It was quite warm by noon tie and after a bit of walking and shopping, we stopped at the soya bean stall for a drink. I don't think any of us tried the Tau Fu Fa (did we?) but the soya bean drink was refreshing!
27


#9 Sang Har Meen (5 Lorong Yap Ah Loy; 11.30 a.m. - 2.30 p.m.)
We decided to call it for the day by ending it with lunch at a backlane coffee shop off Jalan Silang (behind Hon Ming textile shop). We ordered the Sang Har Noodle or Fresh River Prawn Noodle which is one of their specialty. Not a very pleasant environment to dine, well, I shall not elaborate further on this.
28

The prawns were big and succulent but sadly that was the worst Sang Har Noodle I ever tasted. The noodle had a very strong alkaline bitter taste to it. Gravy was too little, thick and tasted bland. If not mistaken, it was quite pricey too.
29

There goes all the yummies we had within roughly 4 hours spent in Petaling Street. Not bad huh? Well, still a number of places to try so I guess must plan for another trip there soon. Anyone want to join?

42 comments:

expired foodie said...

OMG.... The Curry laksa looks so so so so nice!!!! slurps.... wah! hungry edy now...

jason said...

OMG, we really did 9 places!?

I remember the curry laksa, it was thick and rich, quite good. Really can't recall the assam laksa though, guess it's not memorable :p

I don't think I had the soya bean milk too. Guess I was saving some space for next course.

U.Lee said...

Hi, came across your blog by chance while looking for something via Google.
Gosh, you sure make me crave for all the dishes you posted...
Very well taken pics too.
Happy eating, best regards, Lee.

Jun said...

wah lao... covered so many things in 4 hours??? that's usually wat i cover in ONE DAY in penang... @_@

CUMI & CIKI said...

good thing you chose not to delete it! excellent shots!

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

ivy, i am just deciding whether to go to KL or sing the next few days n now decided on sing (a friend going alone staying at the Fullerton Hotel & asked me to stay with her) bc everybody tells me kl is very very unsafe! how bad r things there???

the food in ur pics look sooo good n i've always found sing hawker food to be yukky.

emily.t said...

OMG...You guys are amazing!! Tell me honestly...are u guys descendants of cows or what?! I wish I had stomach capacity like u guys...I'm so jealous! Arrrgh...

Anyway, nice pics! :P *thumbs up*

Precious Pea said...

expired foodie: Such a perfect looking bowl of laksa hor? See also saliva dripping. *tissue wipe wipe*

Jason: Yes wor...we all so geng! But it was an enjoyable morning, wasn't it? We should do it again soon.

u.lee: Hello! Thanks for leaving me a comment and also for the compliments. :)

jun: We have to train you up oledi. Tsk tsk tsk..We shall start from this Thursday dinner ok?

cumi & ciki: Yes, deleting those photos would be a waste hor? That is why also i sayang to delete.

terri: I got to admit, I don't feel safe in KL (as in downtown) too. But of course, PJ of late also the crime is increasing..snatch theft, house break-ins, etc. Have to be street smart lor, don't bring those handbag that are easy to snatch, don't reveal jewellery..in simpler terms, don't look so 'inviting'. Aii..but then again, no where in this world is safe. Enjoy your trip to Sing! Shopping?

Precious Pea said...

emily t: Mooooo....hahaha...well, not that we always group together to eat so much seize the day to the max to make the trip worth. ;)

email2me said...

The asam laksa looks good. Looking forward to try it soon.

Timothy Low said...

Hey .. this article should be submitted to Malaysian Tourism Board la ... good information for tourist ! Good Stuff precious !

daphne said...

ALL the porridge, tarts.... wow!

MochaSourcream said...

Have not been to Petaling Street for a long time... Thanks for the reminder... Miss the Raw Fish Porridge... Slurp Slurp.....

Precious Pea said...

email2me: Do try the curry laksa too!

timothy: Wahh..am flattered. *blush blush*

daphne: Looks good isn't it? If I wasn't that stuffed at that time, i would have bought one of each home.

mochasourcream: I think I will do a night visit for the fiery hot grilled seafood. But then, the parking turns me off ler.

Simon Seow said...

OMG, one stomach not enough wei.

JeromeFo 令狐冲 said...

Lolx...
You blog my fav food "Hon Kee Porridge " !!! Those days my mum always bring me go eat one....

New Kid on the Blog said...

Ai yo yo... what a food marathon!! I like I like!!! :)

MochaSourcream said...

Fiery Hot Grilled Seafood?? Mmm... Parking? What parking? FOCUS.. FOCUS on the F-O-O-D... hehe

joycy said...

Is 1 stomach ever enough? I envy the cows .. how come they get 4?

Precious Pea said...

simon seow: But we all combined got 4 mah. Hey, i will be meeting you for the first time this Thursday right???

jeromefo: You kaki Petaling Street ar? I wanna go again for the claypot lou shue fun.

nkotb: Hahaha..i can see you are very excited oledi. We should all go turn Petaling Street upside down one day.

mochasourcream: Yes, the stall opens at night in front of Hong Leong Bank. Huge crowd and always have to wait for more than 30 mins. The grilled stingray and sotong very nice. The gravy is good enuff with rice oledi. Hmm...i think i might just take LRT instead of driving there.

joycy: Hahaha...well...we have to be like a cow's size to have 4 stomach! I think a good digestion system is good enough. Must stocked up with ENO if eat like that hor?

Simon Seow said...

Ivy: According to plan, yes.

UnkaLeong said...

Madras Kane Curry Mee! Slurps...does anyone know if they are open at night ah?

J2Kfm said...

hey! I just did a crawl over at Petaling Street last month. agreed that in the morning more food than at night. the over-rated grilled fish stall notwithstanding.

wow, can I join the next glutton tour of Petaling street? let's do a marathon that includes everything and anything.
good post btw.

wmw said...

Hahaha...wah! Memories, good ones. I also haven't blog on it yet...Jason too, cos his pics in my camera!

Nic (KHKL) said...

eh, no review on koon kee wanton mee ar? i lurrrve that shop...

and it's so funny that after all these years, the stalls at madras lane are still ever territorial...i mean they practically sell the same stuff!! haha! but i still love them lar...hehe

PureGlutton said...

Wow...that's a LOT of food in half a day, haha! I haven't been to Petaling Street for a long time - definitely must go soon! Hey, i wanna join your next makan spree lah! :)

Precious Pea said...

simon: Cool! See you then!

unkaleong: Not sure but I don't think so la.

j2kfm: When are you going to post up on your eating adventure?? When you are in town again, do let us know we call all go sapu Petaling Street!

wmw: Hahaa..yalor..Jason was telling me that his photos are still with you.

nic: Didn't try the wantan noodle..maybe next trip, wanna join? Yalor..i felt a bit uneasy with them being so territorial. So garang like that.

pureglutton: Noted! Will let you know when we go again.

Big Boys Oven said...

this is the way I would like to life for a day, just petaling street hawker food!

tigerfish said...

Should u post or not? Even I...can't answer the qns. By posting, you made me SO HUNGRY. But if you did not post, who knows where to get those food?

(P.S I have not gone to Shilin Market, so nothing to post) :P

ling239 said...

hey, good work !!
all in one post...
make me cant decide wat i want, all also delicious ah ^_^

mimid3vils said...

too many food, to little stomach room

Precious Pea said...

bbo: I agree. Perfect way to spend the weekend.

tigerfish: Actually the reason I didn't feel like posting was because I lazy to search for details ie, the address and the operating hours.

ling239: Good to go in big group so can sample more food.

mimid3vils: Haha..then you must bring along ENO.

YokeChin said...

I'm reading this during my lunch break and saliva is dripping down to my desktop! Tabik you and friends for finding all these lubang lubang for good food :)

阿单逆思 said...

Talk about Porridge, did you try the Porridge near the back of Wet marketing?

For the Madras lane picture u takego straight, turn right pass the curry mee and asam laksa, go futher a bit u see a old couple selling charcoal Porridge.

I think they only have Pork spare park and fish porridge.

I try the Han Ke poridge then straight go to try theirs, they are the best u can get in Petaling street.

Just this place a bit dirty, and only have 3~4 table. But the taste is fabulous. I alsway order 2 :D

http://mysiho.blogspot.com/search/label/KL

ai wei said...

they hv the best tau fu fah! (if i m not mistaken)
the smooth, silky and smooth n silky tau fu fah.....!

seriously craving for it now ar... aiks

Wandering Chopsticks said...

You are insane lady! I kept reading trying to remember if it really was all in one day, but didn't want to scroll up to check b/c the food looked so good. Staring to salivate. Then I get to the end and you say you ate it all in 4 hours?!!!!

Precious Pea said...

yokechin: Hehehe..tissue??

阿单逆思: OOo..thanks for the recommendation. I don't quite know the place well so definitely appreciates your tip. If i go to petaling street again, i will surely give this porridge place a try.

ai wei: I like my tau foo fah cold. When it slither down your throat..wah..cold and refreshing. Aiks..now i am craving for some.

wandering chopsticks: Hehehehe..yes..all in 4 hours and in fact, many many many more tempting delicacies available in Petaling Street (KL Chinatown). I am sure if you were with us, you will go crazy too.

White On Rice Couple said...

This is too crazy of a food fest! I am just dying right now as I scroll down your amazing food pictures! Just the first one of the rice porridge has me drooling and the rest is killing me!
thanks for making me hungry now, really hungry!

And your pictures of the pond flowers in your most recent post are amazing too!

Precious Pea said...

white on rice couple: If you happened to be in Kuala Lumpur, this is a place that you have to visit. Lots of local delicacies and a shoppers' paradise too!

Thanks for your compliment on my recent post :)

mama bok said...

I'm so hungry now..!!! boohoohoo..!!

Jackson said...

waa... so much good food. Its been a while since i go for food hunt

Donut said...

Madras lane..did you miss something?
FAMOUS YONG TAU FOO!!!
people usually go to Madras lane for
1.Curry laksa
2. Yong Tau Foo
3. Cendol

and about the durian puff!
it taste superb..u shud try their cheese cake too.PURE cheese,not fancy like we had in secrect recipe.but i can tell u they taste great!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online