Wednesday, July 16, 2008

PEA'S SPICED CHICKEN SATAY

It took me quite a while to think of a name for this post. Simply because, to put it as Chicken Satay will be misleading as no research was done beforehand when I marinated the chicken pieces for my BBQ last Saturday. Furthermore, there aren't any spicy peanut sauce and the usual condiments such as cucumbers and shallots to go with my chicken skewer. I guess the safest bet is to name it as Pea's Spiced Chicken Satay! I guess in future, the word "Pea's" shall act as disclaimer (It implies that you may try at your own risk!) on all self-created dishes.

For the chicken, I used 4 whole deboned chicken maryland (drumstick + thigh) and cut into small bite pieces which yielded about 30 skewers with 4 pieces of meat on each stick. For those who are health conscious, you may want to remove the skin or substitute with chicken breast.
1

Next, the ingredients to be blended into smooth paste:

1 whole onions (use shallots if possible)

1 whole garlic
2 - 3 stalks of lemongrass
2

At a glance, do you find this photo resembles a bowl of ice-shaved dessert drizzed with gula melaka, caramel and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar? Well, it is not! The blended paste was added onto the chicken together with the following spices:


2 tablespoon of meat curry powder

1 teaspoon of cumin powder

1 teaspoon of fennel powder

1 teaspoon of coriander powder

2 teaspoon of turmeric powder (I ran out of this but do add to achieve bright orangey colour)
2 tablespoon soya sauce
2 tablespoon sugar
Salt to taste A dash of fish sauce

Let it marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours. I had mine marinated for about 6 hours and the chicken pieces fully absorbed the flavour from the spices. 3

Ensure that you soak the bamboo skewers with water to avoid burning. Four pieces of chicken per skewer, just perfect!

5

It is always advisable to fire up your BBQ pit at least 45 mins before the grilling process actually starts. High flame will leave a black carbon residue on your meat. Wait till you achieve glowing red charcoal before putting any meat on the griller.
6

Mmmm...assemble the chicken satay and sprinkle with a bit of oil. Keep turning it every one minute or so until cooked. The cooking process should not take more than 10 minutes. As there are fats in drumstick and thigh area, you will be entertained with the sizzling sound and the wonderful aroma of spices.
8

I like my satay slightly burnt. But do cool it a bit before putting it into your mouth as it's extremely heaty! But of course, who could wait? It turned out really tasty! So tasty on its own that you don't even need any peanut sauce to go with it.
10

Pea's Spiced Chicken Satay was a hit that night and received thumbs up from my Makan Gang. They said they don't even mind paying if it costs RM1.50 per skewer. Now, I am getting big-headed with the praises, shall I open up a satay stall soon? Hmm...I think i will name it "PEA's SATAY"!
(I told you am getting big-headed right?)


32 comments:

CUMI & CIKI said...

Now you make ur own satay as well - and cooked over ARANG no less... wah.. can give up ur day job already la.. haha. PEACE SATAY! lol.. call it that! it's cool;D

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

im sure 1.50 no problem..with inflation and quality products..serve with chilled beer too!

Nic (KHKL) said...

oh, fish sauce is added as well? wah, interesting...

and PEA's SATAY should have other meat as well. like san ju yoke (wildboar meat)...sure sell one! ;)

Lianne said...

wow .. you go girl! your satay look soooo good! i'm gonna satay away this weekened lol

Precious Pea said...

cumi & ciki: Satay must be cooked over charcoal. The deepfried version i had in Aust a big no-no. Quit day job? Hmm..actually i did tot of venturing into F&B but then too risky.

NJoe: True...won't be surprised satay now selling at RM1 per stick. I remember a year back, there is a satay fast food chain in KLCC and as far as I remembered, their chicken skewers not cheap too! Aikks..is that the reason they close down??

nic: I am a big fan of fish sauce and i find it very tasty with almost anything. Perfect to marinade! Wild Boar Meat?? Cool! Will try it soon!

lianne: At first i wanted to try your lemongrass recipe but then i forgot to jot down the recipe. Yours look delicious too leh.

Life for Beginners | Kenny Mah said...

Ooh Nipples got a great idea... Pea's Satay + chilled Bavarian beer = my kinda weekend! ;)

Me wonders what you'd be cooking next?

Live2Talk said...

Hmm ... we are definitely going to do the BBQ thingy at your place. Well done babe *clap clap*. My suggestion is to have Pea's Satay + Pumpkin's sauce :D

MochaSourcream said...

Slurp... Slurp... please invite me for the next Satay BBQ session ya... hehe

babe_kl said...

hmmm look very juicy and moist. from the ingredients i can tell its very fragrant.

Precious Pea said...

kenny: What's cooking? Well, you have got to wait..but one clue. Something to do with Roast Duck! And no, it's not pizza.. ;)

live2talk: Pumpkin sauce???? Wahh...*faint* Sure sure...probably next month or when i come back from all my trips. Next month till mid sept would be crazy for me.

mochasourcream: Hehehe..die lor...now that i bragged how good it turned out, i scare next attempt won't turn out as good. My quality control veli bad.

babe: Hehe..actually can't go wrong with the spices as long everything is in moderate quantity. Yes, it was really juicy and tender.

mama bok said...

Can fedex over or not..?? Will try the recipe.. thanks..!

Kavi said...

Yummyyyyy..... good job.... Yes, great idea, do you need any help at your satay stall????...part time can or not!!!

daphne said...

You made your own satay? Is there anything that you can't make!?

worldwindows said...

My son's favorite. I print it and get him to do this over the micro-oven. I worry over the substitution of yellow coloring for tumeric and also the amount of fat found on the sate stick.

JeromeFo 令狐冲 said...

Lolx.Make me feel like flying to Kajang and try satay!How come dun hv the little rice one? I like to eat Satay with the little rice =)

♥ ♡ Alvin ♡ ♥ said...

Must give you 2 Thumbsup! Pui fok pui fok~

Precious Pea said...

mamabok: No need to courier..very easy. Make some to impress your Hubby. :)

kavi: I scare not enuff to pay you lah! Unless you volunteer for free. ;)

daphne: Haha...luck dear.. by luck only.

worldwindows: Do try and let me know how it goes...err..sorry..what you mean by fats on the stick?

jeromefo: I didn't make the satay sauce so no rice. Anyway, i don't like the rice as I don't like mushy mashed rice. My dad love the nasi impit though.

wmw said...

Pea's Satay and beer! Here! Here! :p

Wandering Chopsticks said...

It's OK to be big-headed when your food looks that gooooood! ;)

Hazza said...

that looks absolutely yummy! I am tempted to try your recipe as soon as we get a rain-free weekend here!

durianberry said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it. As for now being stucked in uni dorm, can I order 50 sticks ar? Salivating already...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Best looking satay I've ever seen!! Seriously.

mimid3vils said...

Where will u start up u satay business, don forget to tell us ya :)

tigerfish said...

If it's Pea's Satay, does Pea get to eat them? *woof woof* ...oops...too spicy?

teckiee said...

so hardworking... but i guess if you want it nice.. you got to make it yourself.

ganache-ganache said...

Wow so tempting ! I like mine slightly burnt too, that's the best part......

Ms. _______ 2 be ! said...

Woo....yum yum yum.
I like 3 pls!

Peb @ Food Made Simple said...

Looks great. Thanks for the recipe. Do you have any good recipes for satay sauce?

Precious Pea said...

wmw: Where where??

wandering chopsticks: Haha..thanks and that makes my head even bigger now.

hazza: Summer rain? Do try..perfect when you have BBQ.

durianberry: 50 sticks?? Ok, you are my first customer, give you extra 5 for free! Haha!

luscious sista: Awww...thank you...so sweet of you *hughug*

mimid3vils: I will print business card, don't worry. ;)

tigerfish: He gets to smell it only. No salty food for him unless he decides to go bald.

teckiee: Something different for BBQ instead of usual chicken wings and sausages and it's so easy to make. No need eat those outside oledi.

ganache-ganache: Harlow! Thanks for dropping by. I love it burnt too..more aromatic. But of course..bad bad bad for the throat. Eat first worry later eh?

ms 2 be: Coming up!

peb: My mum used to make great satay sauce, sadly i didn't learn it from her. I think www.kuali.com should have.

~Christine~Leng said...

wa.....!!! i can try making these here...
"muacks"!! thx to u :)
i miss satay! ;P

jason said...

Easy to prepare and cook, yet delish! Why there are no one selling satay for lunch!?

Raynebow said...

Great idea and looks like a great recipe! Will try this out in my next BBQ session :)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online